Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
GASSERBOB

Default noisy Mitchell transmission.

Hi there. Has anyone else out there have a noisy Mitchell transmission? I only have a 50 miles on it and the new engine. Its very noisy in all three gears. Just wondering. I know they say about the straight cut gears will make it noisier then beveled. I know that my original transmission was way quieter. I will have to call them up . I guess. Thank you for your time.
GASSERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
mike657894

Default Re: noisy Mitchell transmission.

if it wasn't making the noise at 0 miles it should not be making noise at 50
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Bob,

Even though this may sound so profoundly parochial, one very experienced Model A guy in California was humble enough to describe to me in a PM about his buying a newly restored Model A, getting in it, trying to drive it on a long trip back to home, until he most sadly heard a minor growl.

Sadly both seller and buying assumed the differential had oil.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
daveymc29

My Mitchell tranny is very quiet, though it will jump out of all three gears on compression if I don't hold it in gear. Not a problem, I just hold the shifter if descending a steep hill. Maybe when it gets more miles on it it will quit doing that. Who knows? The A tranny never failed to hold on down grades, no matter how steep. Make sure it has the recommended oil in it, not the 600W. (Though that shouldn't make it noisy if it is full. (One Qt,as I recall)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
wmws
BANNED

My Mitchell over drive unit was shipped with NO oil in it. Make sure you transmission has oil in it.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
redmodelt

If it has oil in it, CALL MITCHELL'S. They are easy to get a hold of. They should be your FIRST choice of who to talk to.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
daveymc29

I picked up my tranny at Mitchell's and it had no oil in it. They are packed with the tower off and a clear plate over the tranny. I doubt anyone would miss the lack of oil......... but could do I guess. Read the labels.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 AM   #8
Tom Endy

Whenever I rebuild a Model A rear axle assembly for anyone, before it leaves the shop it has a tag on it that says "No Oil In The Banjo: I advise the owner to leave the tag in place until he puts oil in it.

I don't believe gearboxes in any industry, aircraft, industrial, and automotive are shipped with oil in them. Working in the aircraft industry it was common to see tags attached to gear boxes advising there was no oil in them.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
CarlG

That's my take: no oil.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
GASSERBOB

There's 2 quarts 90 weight gear oil in it. I'll call them up . I just thought one of you guys might have the same problem at one time. Thanks. Bob...................
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
SteveB31

2 quarts is way too much
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 AM   #12
emf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASSERBOB View Post
There's 2 quarts 90 weight gear oil in it. I'll call them up . I just thought one of you guys might have the same problem at one time. Thanks. Bob...................
Good luck on calling them. I just received my Mitchell for the AA truck. I have called no less than 5 times to ask questions and have yet to get a return call. Very poor customer service. I was going to say that I hope they read the Barn, but on second thought, it may not matter at all...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #13
Big hammer

I contacted Mitchell's by E-mail late one day, they responded by the next morning! :-)
And this was about a use OD that I purchased
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #14
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post
Good luck on calling them. I just received my Mitchell for the AA truck. I have called no less than 5 times to ask questions and have yet to get a return call. Very poor customer service. I was going to say that I hope they read the Barn, but on second thought, it may not matter at all...

Frank

Frank,
I have installed a number of Mitchell's and have several right now to do. I have spoken to Sue Mitchell countless times over the years and have always found them to be responsive. At 84 she is a gal who come into work every day and enjoys what she does for the Model A community. If it takes her a couple of days to call back I wouldn't fry her for that. Give it another try and be patient. Her son and their team do them as fast as they can and we are lucky to have them as a resource to us out here.
I remember when I bought my Ryan overdrive and the Mitchell was just coming out. Try getting Ryan overdrive parts or information. You'll wait a lot longer. Be patient and respectfull. Posting negative information here on them is not the forum for your gripe. As I said... I've never had an issue getting a hold of them.

Also, I agree with Steve B.... two quarts is way too much! you just fill to below the plug fill line. and yes... it could have not had oil in it till later on... maybe was forgotten about. A driveline evaluation by an experienced "A" mechanical person would be in order. It can be determined if transmission, rear axle, or something else.

Happy Tuesday!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
emf

I'm not trying to fry anyone. I simply would like to find out why my overdrive was not delivered as ordered. As far as getting Sue to respond, I understand that she is elderly, but I called 5 times over the course of a month to get a delivery date and was always told that Sue would call me back. She never did. She finally called to tell me that the unit would be mailed the next day. I also left an email note on their website last night in frustration.. I'll see how long I have to wait for a response.

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
daveymc29

Frank, I got fried a year ago for asking if there was a problem because of no response. I have found email works much better for me. Someone on the barn told them I was bad mouthing them which wasn't true. I was seriously concerned that perhaps there was a health problem and asked here as not to bother them. Won't do that again, this forum can be brutal and some love to spread tales. Be careful what you post.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post
Good luck on calling them. I just received my Mitchell for the AA truck. I have called no less than 5 times to ask questions and have yet to get a return call. Very poor customer service.
Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
I contacted Mitchell's by E-mail late one day, they responded by the next morning! :-)
And this was about a use OD that I purchased
A while back I had a chance to buy a Mitchell that had never been installed. Unfortunately the gentalman misplaced one of the driveshafts I called AND e-mailed Mitchell's to ensure I could get a replacement before I bought it.

Never heard a word from them and needless to say I passed on the Mitchell. last I saw the guy it was still sitting in his garage.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #18
Art Newland

So strange, I'm in the process of installing a Mitchell transmission right now. My first call for information I spoke with Sue for info, then a couple weeks later I called to order and spoke with Sue again. A very delightful lady. I was quoted 12 weeks for delivery and after 14 weeks I called to make sure everything was in order, again I spoke with Sue and she told me they were terribly busy and said I should have my transmission in another week... which I did.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
joel rapose

Gosh...Mr. Y-Blockhead....Please send me a PM and let me know where I can buy that Mitchell missing the driveline..... every time I have talked to Sue they have been super friendly and I am sure would be happy to make another one for me....I would love it...

Joel
joel rapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
GASSERBOB

My mistake. It wasn't 2 quarts. And it was filled right below the fill line. I have to call them up yet. Thanks.