Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
John Dayhuff

Default Re: U-haul open trailer

Mine only took a 60 mile or so trip to get here but the only way I would do it was in a covered trailer. Paid the guy $150 to bring it down here and it was money we'll spent.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #22
Bob/AZ

I sure appreciate all of you who chimed in with good thoughts. My roof is relatively new but I do think I will use the wrap stuff at least on the front. I think I will also follow and observe while my son drives at 60 or 70 for a few miles to see what the roof and anything else is doing. I also will cardboard the lights, radiator and windshield. The car has done pretty good in local shows but is by no means a fine point judging car.
Had to chuckle at Licensed to Kill's suggestion that I put the car in the truck and all my other stuff on the trailer. Might work for me but I don't think I could get it by the wife.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #23
denis4x4

Need help figuring out what I’m doing wrong as in the past 20 years of towing A’s on open trailers, I haven’t broken any glass, suffered rock damage, torn a visor off or any other sort of damage. Oh yeah, never have added cardboard, tape or plywood during my travels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A376393A-A339-482C-9842-840D084DA9F1.jpg (65.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #24
ronn

had Russian shippers bring a phaeton from Cali to NJ and they tied it down by the rear spring. Needless to say, they broke the spring. what happens when you get a 900. haul of an inop by shippers who speak no English on an 18 whl carrier!

I was fine with it though............ you gets what yous pays for...........

any thought of just putting the top down, rather then blowing it to smithereens?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #25
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Need help figuring out what I’m doing wrong as in the past 20 years of towing A’s on open trailers, I haven’t broken any glass, suffered rock damage, torn a visor off or any other sort of damage. Oh yeah, never have added cardboard, tape or plywood during my travels
With that big box in front of it, I'm not surprised. That;s why I suggested that pulling it behind a 26' U-haul box would be much safer than behind a pickup or car. Also, I found your pic interesting in that just the other day I saw one of many big diesel pushers running down the road towing an SUV behind. Likely a retired couple that parks for a while and uses the SUV to run errands and such and I was thinking, "If that was me, I would tow a Model A on a trailer as my "grocery getter".
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #26
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
With that big box in front of it, I'm not surprised. That;s why I suggested that pulling it behind a 26' U-haul box would be much safer than behind a pickup or car. Also, I found your pic interesting in that just the other day I saw one of many big diesel pushers running down the road towing an SUV behind. Likely a retired couple that parks for a while and uses the SUV to run errands and such and I was thinking, "If that was me, I would tow a Model A on a trailer as my "grocery getter".

When I hit a campground, it takes about 5 minutes to take off the straps and push a button to tilt the trailer and off to dinner. No ramps makes it quick and easy.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #27
cederholm

I just trailered my 1930 coupe from NYC to Connecticut on a U Haul open trailer. The issues I had was the front wheel straps kept slipping of the skinny tires. I used a couple ratchet straps around the wheels/tires/strap to hold them in place.
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #28
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/AZ View Post
I sure appreciate all of you who chimed in with good thoughts. My roof is relatively new but I do think I will use the wrap stuff at least on the front. I think I will also follow and observe while my son drives at 60 or 70 for a few miles to see what the roof and anything else is doing. I also will cardboard the lights, radiator and windshield. The car has done pretty good in local shows but is by no means a fine point judging car.
Had to chuckle at Licensed to Kill's suggestion that I put the car in the truck and all my other stuff on the trailer. Might work for me but I don't think I could get it by the wife.
Bob-
I put cardboard in the radiator shell once to protect the radiator core and we hit several days of rain. That cardboard turned to a messy pulp. It was hard to get the goo out from between the fins.

Where in NC are you headed?

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Put her on the trailer too - peace and quiet in the car!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #30
TerryO

[QUOTEBob-
I put cardboard in the radiator shell once to protect the radiator core and we hit several days of rain. That cardboard turned to a messy pulp. It was hard to get the goo out from between the fins. ][/QUOTE]

You can always use the corrugated plastic they make roadside signs from.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #31
ronn

Put her on the trailer too - peace and quiet in the car!

that's a bit of alright!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:26 AM   #32
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
Bob-
I put cardboard in the radiator shell once to protect the radiator core and we hit several days of rain. That cardboard turned to a messy pulp. It was hard to get the goo out from between the fins.

You can always use the corrugated plastic they make roadside signs from.

TOB

Called "Coroplast", available at any local sign shop, Amazon, even Home Depot lists it.

Last edited by BillLee/Chandler, TX; 08-20-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Fixed quote inclusion
BillLee/Chandler, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #33
77Birdman

Have your wife take the uhaul and then you can drive the model A across the country!

Seriously though, it sounds like you have a sound plan. Good luck on your travel. Keep us informed with your nightly stops on how things are going.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #34
Bob/AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
Bob-

Where in NC are you headed?

Jim, We will be in the Raleigh area. I see that there is a MAFCA chapter in Cary, TarWheel A's I think. I'll look them up when I get settled. Up here in the mountains of AZ I've never been close enough to a chapter to participate.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #35
Jim/GA

Quote:
Jim, We will be in the Raleigh area. I see that there is a MAFCA chapter in Cary, TarWheel A's I think. I'll look them up when I get settled. Up here in the mountains of AZ I've never been close enough to a chapter to participate.
Excellent!

Yes, TarWheel A's. A great group. Activities are a bit restricted right now. We all are.

I live way west of Raleigh, in western NC, about a 6 hour drive. But I visit Cary now and then (family).

Safe travels!

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #36
MrBruce

Bob
If your going to be anywhere near Charlotte, give us a call - Queen City Model A Club

Send me a private message and I will give you phone and email info.

Have a safe trip
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #37
d.

my vote is with Denis 4x4,
I used a U-Haul open trailer and a Chev PU to bring an older restored 30 tudor from DC to Raleigh and had had no problems. I did strap the doors closed and bungied the hood.
No problemos, smooth sailing all the way.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote