Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
Benson

Default Re: Devastating Blow

wrong info

Last edited by Benson; 07-17-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #22
amodel25

I'll bet the guys in the BMW Club are blaming the Model "A".
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #23
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodel25 View Post
I'll bet the guys in the BMW Club are blaming the Model "A".

Probably so. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #24
jm29henry

Does anyone know how the driver of the model A faired out?
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #25
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
Why is the A always assumed to be in the right?
Maybe he pulled out in front of the BMW!
I agree. If the BMW had hit the Model A I think the Model A would have landed in the ditch.

I think the Model A drifted into the path of the BMW and forced it into the ditch because the Model A sustained more damage to the left front fender and tire, and less damage to the left rear fender. Typical behavior when you see a car veer into your lane is to steer to the right (at least in the US where we drive on the right hand side of the road).

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #26
updraught

In the US you drive on the wrong side of the road not the right.

The crumple zones on the A look good. The swing out windscreen enhances safety and the four wheel brakes obviously save lives as the salesman said.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #27
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I agree. If the BMW had hit the Model A I think the Model A would have landed in the ditch.

I think the Model A drifted into the path of the BMW and forced it into the ditch because the Model A sustained more damage to the left front fender and tire, and less damage to the left rear fender. Typical behavior when you see a car veer into your lane is to steer to the right (at least in the US where we drive on the right hand side of the road).

David Serrano
Automatically steering the right in a LHD country makes sense. We would go left. I have heard of people from a RHD country instinctively veering left to avoid trouble, just like they do at home but ending up in even more trouble. Swapping sides takes a lot of concentration not only when you start on the other side of the road but when you get home after almost getting used to it, you have to concentrate again. (you never completely get used to it)
Because everything there is @$$ backwards, I am not going make a guess at who did what.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #28
MVal

Smile Re: Devastating Blow

Thank you Jim/GA for expressing my thoughts re FB--I can do without it too!!
MVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:58 PM   #29
Jack Shaft
BANNED

your toilets swirl the wrong way,that's truly ass backwards
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:40 AM   #30
john charlton

I know the feeling . It was strawberry season and I had bought some from the local farm outlet plus some thick cream . I drove to my buddy Brian and sat in his back garden and had strawberries and cream . We heard a loud bang then a knock on the front door . An elderly gentleman informs me he has just hit my 1930 68B cabriolet . My car was parked on the street half on the road and half on the grass verge .He was driving a 3 ton Ford truck and had hit my car on the left rear so hard it had torn his right front tyre clean off the rim .He demolished the left rear fender tore up the running board and braces and damaged the front fender and door .Left rear wheel buckled and the axle bent .I was sincerely very unpleased . His excuse was he did not see me because the setting sun was in his eye ,he only had one eye would you believe . He was moving the truck for his son who was a builder . He admitted full responsibility and my car was surveyed by his insurance company and after a lot of haggling I accepted equiv $ 17000 and kept the car . So with a heavy heart I repaired the car ,the door which is wood framed was very difficult and still not quite right but as good as it will ever be . The problem is you never look at the car in the same light, prior to the accident it was a solid nice driver but it has been spoilt for me now somehow .At least no one was injured but it did give me a nasty bout of very high blood pressure !!!

John in warm humid sunny morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #31
Don S.

I got my 30 coupe 9 years ago. One of the 1st things I noticed was that there is almost no one on the road today that knows what hand signals are! The only ones who realize what you are doing is bikers. Most people driving cars have no idea why your arm is straight out the window or straight up. They would go by you and waive back! I only drove my coupe 2-3 times and decided to install turn signals. The final straw is when I was waiting to turn left and the car behind me started to pass me. The fact that there was a car coming towards us evidently didn’t matter to them, only that I was stopped in the road. I still don’t drive it as much as I’d like, probably because of people driving without thinking. Take Care Everyone!
Don S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #32
Benson

pm sent to 20550

Last edited by Benson; 07-26-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #33
California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
In the US you drive on the wrong side of the road not the right.

The crumple zones on the A look good. The swing out windscreen enhances safety and the four wheel brakes obviously save lives as the salesman said.
Sorry, I should have said: “ . . .in the U.S., where we drive on the correct side!“

David Serrano
Old 07-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #34
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
your toilets swirl the wrong way,that's truly ass backwards
Our toilets are a completely different design. We can't waste as much water as yours use. They don't swirl.
Either way, they are like a politician - full of crap!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #35
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Sorry, I should have said: “ . . .in the U.S., where we drive on the correct side!“

David Serrano
I've alway told people over there that we sit on the right side of the car and rive on the correct side of the road. We then reach for another beer!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #36
Licensed to kill

The "correct" side of the car to drive on is a consequence of which side of the road you drive on. However, the LOGICAL side of the car to drive on (and by default the LOGICAL side of the road to drive on) is the left side of the car (right side of the road). The reason is that 90% of the worlds population is right handed and therefore it only makes sense to have the shifter on the drivers right. JMO.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #37
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S. View Post
I got my 30 coupe 9 years ago. One of the 1st things I noticed was that there is almost no one on the road today that knows what hand signals are! The only ones who realize what you are doing is bikers. Most people driving cars have no idea why your arm is straight out the window or straight up. They would go by you and waive back! I only drove my coupe 2-3 times and decided to install turn signals. The final straw is when I was waiting to turn left and the car behind me started to pass me. The fact that there was a car coming towards us evidently didn’t matter to them, only that I was stopped in the road. I still don’t drive it as much as I’d like, probably because of people driving without thinking. Take Care Everyone!

First use of flashing turn signals was Buick in 1938. Written driver tests haven't asked to define arm signals for years. Actually been driving my cars more then ever this year. While I do have turn signals on my CCPU. I also have 12v LED tail lights and a third brake light.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #38
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
First use of flashing turn signals was Buick in 1938. Written driver tests haven't asked to define arm signals for years. Actually been driving my cars more then ever this year. While I do have turn signals on my CCPU. I also have 12v LED tail lights and a third brake light.
They most certainly DO in California. You also need to demonstrate hand signals to the inspector before taking your driving test. My son just took his test(s) last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S. View Post
One of the 1st things I noticed was that there is almost no one on the road today that knows what hand signals are! The only ones who realize what you are doing is bikers. Most people driving cars have no idea why your arm is straight out the window or straight up. They would go by you and waive back!
My son and his buddies get a kick out of people when riding in my Model A and the other drivers not knowing what hand signals are. (Yes they wave back). They all just learned about hand signals in driving school and have not "forgotten" them yet, I suppose.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 07-19-2020 at 11:30 AM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #39
todd3131

I feel for the guy I was in a bad accident In my roadster when a car hit us, that was almost thirty years ago and I always think about it. Took me four years to put it back together.

My wife won't ride in our model a she does not feel safe in it and for good reason.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #40
California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've alway told people over there that we sit on the right side of the car and rive on the correct side of the road. We then reach for another beer!
I’ll drink to that!

David Serrano