Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #41
Joe K

Default Re: Who's running a Marvel/Schebler carb?

Thank you for that - and the head's up regarding the external difference of no forward fuel line connect. It might allow one to see the "improved" version carburetor in a pile of scrap carburetors at 50, er, perhaps 5 paces.

I've been kind of "collecting" variant Model A carburetors for a while. Just a weakness allied to a bigger weakness for Model A Ford allied to a bigger weakness of "hoarding" I guess.

He who dies with the most toys wins?

And I've been fooled too - like that Wizard/Simmons aluminum bottom attached to a Zenith cast iron carburetor top. Why anyone would mix and match parts like that for use is beyond me? One might even have been combining parts simply to make a "complete" carburetor for sale on Ebay? Not to accuse.

Caviet Emptor.

Joe K
Old 06-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #42
duke36

my set up is similar to GMCPASO"s, except I use the 5.5 K&N Filter. Also have a viton tip float valve (Non Steiner) that works ok. However when the car sits for a month or so, check to see if overflow out the intake due to stuck float. I sometimes run out the gas a little bit after each run . The enthanol /alcohol gas is somewhat brutal so will try additives. It sure eats up seals and gaskets in our leaf blowers!
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #43
GMCPASO

Smile Re: Who's running a Marvel/Schebler carb?

Well I have been using this carb for a year now. Still very happy with its mileage, better that 20+ per gallon just running around town and some local drives. I like the response when leaning it out on the GAV. Very sensitive, can tell what is happening right away, I like that. Will be going on long trip this fall and will see what is going to happen on a 4000 mile trip.
GMCPASO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #44
Hunterspeedandkustoms

Good info on this carb. I've been trying to decide whether I wanted to trade in my crusty Zenith for a rebuild or go with a downdraft carb setup. These Marvels seem kind of unique and nice compromise between the Zenith and a Stromberg.
Hunterspeedandkustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #45
GMCPASO

Ok, I am back from a 4673 mile trip to South Dakota and return with the Model A Touring Club. Drove the car from home in Central Coast of California, through Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and South Dakota and return via similar route, 3 weeks involved. Stopped 40 times for gas, avg 5.5 gallons for each stop, took 220 gallons of 85-87 ethanol/gas which comes to 21.2 MPG. Drove at 50-55 MPH when possible on interstates and other roads. Drove all the way to eastern SD to Sioux Falls. The only issue was a fuel filter stopped flow to the MS carburetor which was quickly changed and returned to the trip home in about 20 minutes.

Great trip and lots of great sights and friends. Glad it was done and looking forward to others.

The only problem I have with mine it it stops when it doesn't get gas. Oh, by the way, I run an air filter on mine with a balanced system.

Last edited by GMCPASO; 09-30-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to add.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #46
tribouboys

I've run one on my 30 Tudor for 2 years now and the only issue I have is when I stop and shut off the engine the carb leaks gas out the air intake. I've had it back to the rebuilder 3x and he has yet to fit it.

Great Carb excellent performance when running.
tribouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #47
1930artdeco

I have noticed two things since putting mine back on-the one that works.

1) I have to choke her every time I go to start her up. Not sure why.
2) She does leak when shut off so I just the gas off drive her into the garage and then shut off the ignition.

Mike
Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #48
GMCPASO

The only problem I have with mine it it stops when it doesn't get gas, fuel filter blocked it. I run an air filter on mine with a balanced system.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 AM   #49
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribouboys View Post
I've run one on my 30 Tudor for 2 years now and the only issue I have is when I stop and shut off the engine the carb leaks gas out the air intake. I've had it back to the rebuilder 3x and he has yet to fit it.

Great Carb excellent performance when running.
Today's gas boils way too easy, and when you stop, then the carb absorbs more heat and boils the gas in the carb. It then drips out the inlet.

Turn the gas off a minute before stopping the engine, and see if that fixes the problem. Sure wish we had the good gas of the 60's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 AM   #50
tribouboys

Thanks very much I'll try that Tom.
tribouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #51
GMCPASO

Yes, I have noticed some gas around the carburetor after shutting down. I have started to shut off valve off before getting into the garage and letting it run a short time to lower the fuel in the bowel. Stopped the gas smell.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #52
JBill

I stopped using my MS because it leaked, and put a Tillotson back on. Never have any trouble with them. I think the float in the MS is too small and doesn't create enough force to close the needle valve tightly. That's my bizarre and probably stupid theory anyway!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #53
GMCPASO

Got back from 4670 mile trip.
Trip resulted in 21.4 mpg. Stopped once due to fuel filter, glass bowl and filter, plugged with junk from tank. Was headed home in Wy. Changed filter and back on road in 20 minutes. Great Carb.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #54
Mountain Dew

I'm running a Marvel/Schebler carb on my 28 roadster. I have not experienced any "vapor lock" type symptoms like I did with a Zenith. Here is my roadster configured with a "Bat" super-charger and a M/S carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sxm1Heo7QjuNXBO1e5ahfQ.jpg (72.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0872.jpg (53.4 KB, 119 views)
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #55
Purdy Swoft

I remember when most of the model A's that I would see was running a Marvel carburetor . The marvel may have been a better carburetor and they always performed good for me . One of the things that I liked most about the Zenith carbs was that it only required the removal of one bolt to remove the bowl for access to the float and needle valve . Another disadvantage is that in time , any pot metal carburetor can warp from heat and develope vacume leaks that HAVE to be dealt with !!! I also prefer the original look of the Zenith carburetor . If I want more speed , I use the model B Zenith carburetor that has more venture area and a high speed jet . I like running two model B carbs on a dual updraft intake manifold even better . The B carburetors are more complicated
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #56
mgtf1500

I run my Schebler with a Grosse Jet. Works great. The car is responsive and lively.
mgtf1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #57
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
....... I like running two model B carbs on a dual updraft intake manifold even better . The B carburetors are more complicated
Interesting! Got a photo of that setup, Purdy?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #58
Purdy Swoft

Yes and I posted pictures here many times of the Trojan setup on my roadster and the uniflo setup on my speedster . I had my pictures stored on photo bucket. I had pictures all over this site of my cars , parts , shop and model A stuff . Photo bucket took away everybodys pictures that refused to pay them nearly 500 dollars per year for storage . Sorry but I was never able to resize pictures as necessary to post them here , photo bucket took care of that . I know that there is other ways to store and post pictures . I'm not that much into computer stuff and probably won't try to get back into posting pictures . Sorry , I really hate it .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-11-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #59
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Yes and I posted pictures here many times of the Trojan setup on my roadster and the uniflo setup on my speedster . I had my pictures stored on photo bucket. I had pictures all over this site of my cars , parts , shop and model A stuff . Photo bucket took away everybodys pictures that refused to pay them nearly 500 dollars per year for storage . Sorry but I was never able to resize pictures as necessary to post them here , photo bucket took care of that . I know that there is other ways to store and post pictures . I'm not that much into computer stuff and probably won't try to get back into posting pictures . Sorry , I really hate it .
Oh yeah, I remember that. Photo bucket sucks! No worries Purdy.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #60
GMCPASO

Yes, I found leather washers in the GAV. I replaced them with same and no issues here.

Last edited by GMCPASO; 08-26-2019 at 11:05 AM.