Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #21
KiWinUS

Default Re: Relieved stroker motor with Ford aluminum heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Ron, Many years ago I built a 296 flatty with OFFY alum heads, Almquist 3/4 cam, alum. flywheel, Jahns pistons, Crankshaft Co. stroker kit and then used a stock 2bbl 8BA carb. There was no noticeable performance difference. If you're going to be running a 2 barrel carb you will not see any difference in the performance of your engine, except that you will have bragging rights to having spent big bucks on performance goodies and big cubic inches. Just build a good dependable close to stock engine and you will be happier in the long run. Formulate a plan and then follow it.
Not sure why this was the case. As I have built hundreds of engines of all makes & more cubic inches with small carburetor has always been a huge plus.
My boss’s 40 coupe that’s been in “The Great American Race “ twice has a 3 5/16 x 4 1/4 ported. Cam. A single Stromberg 48 carb and runs like a raped ape. I personally have had it to 110mph with corrected speedo. At 65mph it sits you back in seat and keeps pulling. That was in high gear from 30mph. Was still pulling hard but I didn’t need a ticket. With his knowledge and recourses I believe this is fact that cubic inches matter. This just supports what I have personally found.
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #22
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Not sure why this was the case. As I have built hundreds of engines of all makes & more cubic inches with small carburetor has always been a huge plus.
My boss’s 40 coupe that’s been in “The Great American Race “ twice has a 3 5/16 x 4 1/4 ported. Cam. A single Stromberg 48 carb and runs like a raped ape. I personally have had it to 110mph with corrected speedo. At 65mph it sits you back in seat and keeps pulling. That was in high gear from 30mph. Was still pulling hard but I didn’t need a ticket. With his knowledge and recourses I believe this is fact that cubic inches matter. This just supports what I have personally found.
It was probably the Almquist cam and Jahns pistons why it ran like stock....LOL.. Or they were working in the dark and put the wrong engine in.

I put a single carb on a 321 ci engine once just for fun and that thing would wheel stand if you blocked the back wheels.

There are and always will be those that don't think the laws of physics apply to everything.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:22 AM   #23
19Fordy

Ron, Many years ago I built a 296 flatty with OFFY alum heads, Almquist 3/4 cam, alum. flywheel, Jahns pistons, Crankshaft Co. stroker kit and then used a stock 2bbl 8BA carb. There was no noticeable performance difference. If you're going to be running a 2 barrel carb you will not see any difference in the performance of your engine, except that you will have bragging rights to having spent big bucks on performance goodies and big cubic inches. Just build a good dependable close to stock engine and you will be happier in the long run. Formulate a plan and then follow it.

REPLY: I was 23 and it was my first "hot rod" engine built from reading HOT ROD magazine. I can only surmise that didn't have sufficient knowledge as to what I was doing. Live and learn. Thanks for the replies. Jim
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #24
Ron_r1959

In this particular event, the cars with stroker motors are about 5 seconds faster than the stock motors. We have had both stock motors and modified versions alike , while i wouldn't say it makes a huge difference in feel , it does make a big difference on the time. We have changed the manifolds and added carbs and heads when running on the streets, and then as you say they come alive and all the work can then be felt in the seat. I understand the controversy and comments on class cheaters etc., that's just not what this class is about, its more about what you can do with a set of limitations than anything else. If you imagine what it was like street racing in the 50s and early 60s, you would be more in line with what its about. Its a event that happens once a year and has been going on for years. I am a little curious on distributer tricks if anyone has a little wisdom in that area. Drag racing tricks would be much more in line than circle track tricks.
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #25
Bored&Stroked

I guess your world is kind of like having 'restrictor plates' in Nascar . . . they just limit the amount of air that can get into the engine, limiting the total HP and resulting MPH. I'd still try to run a Big 97 at 250 CFM - with a hogged out manifold!

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 08-30-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #26
Ron_r1959

Exactly lol, same reason we can’t run dual exhaust, you can however run bigger pipe lol
Old 08-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Do you have to run a helmet style distributor? If so, make sure it has the 11A cam and advance mechanisms - will give you more advance (which is what you'll want). I'd surely mark TDC on the front pulley and achieve a total advance between 24 - 26 degrees all in. It is usually a bit easier to run a crab style distribuor - with the 11A mechanism, good points, etc - you should be able to handle 5500 - 6000 rpm.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:24 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
You must work for Jack Roush.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #29
Ron_r1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Do you have to run a helmet style distributor? If so, make sure it has the 11A cam and advance mechanisms - will give you more advance (which is what you'll want). I'd surely mark TDC on the front pulley and achieve a total advance between 24 - 26 degrees all in. It is usually a bit easier to run a crab style distribuor - with the 11A mechanism, good points, etc - you should be able to handle 5500 - 6000 rpm.
we have to run the original type distributer that came on the pre 1941 era unfortunately.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #30
tubman

I believe Diogenes is looking for this guy!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:42 AM   #31
Ron_r1959

I have heard of it, but I never knew exactly where the "11A cam and advance mechanism" came from? I am assuming that it came out of a later style distributer?

Last edited by Ron_r1959; 09-09-2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #32
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_r1959 View Post
I have heard of it, but I never knew exactly where the "11A cam and advance mechanism" came from? I am assuming that it came out of a later style distributer?
I think it came in 41.
It does 21 degrees or more with mods.
It can be installed in an earlier housing.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #33
Ron_r1959

I found this link to show you how to adjust the 11 A distributor , I thought it was pretty helpful. I have a sun machine and am currently looking for the adapter, I guess i can make it if I have to. i am hoping to find one that is reasonable If I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqUH2ZnSSY
Old 09-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #34
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_r1959 View Post
I found this link to show you how to adjust the 11 A distributor , I thought it was pretty helpful. I have a sun machine and am currently looking for the adapter, I guess i can make it if I have to. i am hoping to find one that is reasonable If I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqUH2ZnSSY
I have one I would sell.
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #35
Ron_r1959

Quote:
I have one I would sell.
I am interested