Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #21
Bob C

Default Re: 1936 Ford 1.5 ton 4 speed Transmission jumps out of 4th gear

No synchros in any gear.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #22
AnthonyG

Understood!
Old 09-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #23
Mac VP

Ford (and later on Borg Warner) never made or offered any alternate gears for those transmissions. The only gears ever made for that gearbox were the same from 1932-52 when they stopped making the unit for the trucks. And, as you already know, these units were always non-synchro. You must always double clutch when shifting.

This transmission would be brutish overkill for the passenger cars. They were offered as an optional transmission for the pickup trucks but most of those were ordered for farm service and other heavy duty applications. With the generally good supply of the 3 speed transmissions (which were synchronized into 2nd and high gears) it would not make much sense to try to shoehorn the 4 speed unit into a passenger car.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #24
Als48

Wasn't there a company called Gear Vendor who sold over/under drive add-on transmissions for motor homes and trucks a few years ago? Haven't heard of them on this forum. That would be an option for trucks that someone wanted a little more highway speed out of an older unit that didn't have overdrive.

Al Hook
Als48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #25
rotorwrench

Most of the old spur gear transmissions dogged onto the input shaft to get 1:1 drive. This includes the model A transmission and the Borg Warner T8/9 types. With spur gears there isn't much thrust load on any of the gears. It either isn't engaging the input far enough due to shifter or fork problems or there is damage to the dog area of the 3rd/high gear or the input shaft gear end where it dogs on. Play on the mainshaft splines could also play a part.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #26
1952henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Forgot to mention, if you take the shifter cane out, be mindful of the little pin that resides in bore at top of tower. This pin engages the ball that is part of cane. If it falls into tranny and you aren't aware of it, your day could get really bad if it passes through teeth under power. This pin and the slot it engages on cane could be the culprit if really worn.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:29 AM   #27
sugarmaker

Tosti36,
That is a wonderful truck! Great condition too! Just amazing! The bed looks very similar to the Galion bed on my 32?
Hope you get the tranny figured out! I have yet to drive mine, so it could easily have similar issues?
Welcome to the Ford Barn also. Great folks here that can really help!
Keep the pictures coming!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-11-2021 at 08:43 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:44 PM   #28
Tosti36

Thank you Terry, the truck is very solid!
Tosti36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #29
Tosti36

Much thanks on that advice. I could see it happening because I wasn’t aware but you guys are loading me up with excellent information. Never would have learned this stuff from any of the manuals I’ve read.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #30
Tosti36

Thanks sugarmaker, great folks for sure!
Old 09-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #31
Tosti36

Ah very good. Is there a way to upload a picture from your device in the forums? It always asks me for a link to my pictures. Can that be changed to your local drive?
Old 09-11-2021, 08:45 PM   #32
sugarmaker

Tosti,
I use Imgur to store my pictures, then copy them to the posts here. Probably many ways to skin this cat too?? I reduce mine to 850 x 400 ish.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:38 AM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosti36 View Post
Ah very good. Is there a way to upload a picture from your device in the forums? It always asks me for a link to my pictures. Can that be changed to your local drive?

Hey Tosti .....Can we assume that you want to know how to post pictures FROM your computer?

If so, it is easy. There are TWO different types of pictures that can be posted here on this forum. The FIRST is to post a picture that is located SOMEWHERE on the internet. Pictures on the internet must be posted in the form of a "URL". Any time you want to post a URL, you are going to begin the process by using the SQUARE, YELLOW icon in the upper border with MOUNTAINS ( ). A "URL" is that "http://www.........." identifier that everything POSTED ON THE INTERNET will have showing at the very top of your screen display.

Any time you wish to post a picture that you have stored on your computer, you must begin the process by using the small PAPER CLIP icon located in the TOP MARGIN ( ).

Not ALL "REPLY" windows offer BOTH of those icons to work with. You MUST begin your POST, or REPLY to a post in a window which has BOTH of these icons available in the TOP MARGIN.

There are FOUR sure-fire ways to bring-up a window which has BOTH icons available to use in the TOP MARGIN.

FIRST WAY: When you begin a new thread, you must use the BLUE, "START A NEW THREAD" button ( ), located at the upper, left of page. A window opens which has BOTH icons in the UPPER BORDER.

SECOND WAY: When you want to answer or address a particular quote by another poster, you begin by left clicking on the BLUE "QUOTE" button ( ). A window opens in which you can address the quote, plus BOTH of the icons will be available in the TOP MARGIN for posting pictures.

THIRD WAY: The third way, and the way that I just automatically use whenever I make MOST of my posts, is to begin by clicking the BLUE "POST REPLY" button ( ) at the lower, left of EVERY page. A window will open that allows your verbiage, plus BOTH of the icons for posting pictures appear in the TOP MARGIN.

FOURTH WAY: Any time you are making a post, and you wish to post pictures but find that the picture-posting icon IS NOT available in the TOP MARGIN, look around toward the bottom of the window that you are using for a RECTANGULAR button that says "Go Advanced". Your window will change to one that has BOTH icons needed for posting pictures in the TOP MARGIN.

Tosti ....Remember that you already have an album created that you can STORE pictures in. Once you have posted a picture in your album, that picture is then considered "POSTED on the internet", and becomes a "URL", which can be posted on the forum using the "YELLOW SQUARE with MOUNTAINS" icon.

Also remember that if a picture is too large, that USUALLY e-mailing a picture to yourself will re-size the picture small enough to post here.

You also MUST remember to click on the rectangular "Submit Reply" button to complete the posting of the picture.

Does this help you any? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote