Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2023, 08:25 AM   #21
Chris in WNC

Default Re: Model AA Buses produced?? Surviving??

that Geenfield Village needs a new LF tire, right now!
Old 12-03-2023, 12:08 PM   #22
mhsprecher

This is where your search engine is your friend. One citation said that there were 6 Model AA buses left. I think I saw an AA bus for sale on Craigslist recently, but I cannot find it. On the west coast, I think.

A member of our club has the remains of an AA school bus. Nothing of the body left beyond the cowl, I believe.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #23
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
that Geenfield Village needs a new LF tire, right now!
Oh, c'mon! There's a lot of life left in that tire. The cords are not showing yet! Out of economic necessity back then, tires were routinely run down to (even into) the cords.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:54 PM   #24
ronn

Oh, c'mon! There's a lot of life left in that tire. The cords are not showing yet! Out of economic necessity back then, tires were routinely run down to (even into) the cords.

you make an interesting point..........my buddy used to work at the school bus garage. at 150k all of the busses were sold at auction. apparently it was law. most went to south America for another few hundred thousand miles.

ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:57 PM   #25
Joe K

Quote:
you make an interesting point..........my buddy used to work at the school bus garage. at 150k all of the busses were sold at auction. apparently it was law. most went to south America for another few hundred thousand miles.
Son got interested in converting a "schoolie" for use as an RV. Examination of a company in Brentwood, NH revealed several "shortie" school buses eager for conversion.

Well, the salesman was.

We went for a test drive. Gasoline powered, automatic transmission, the bus ran well, stopped well, and there was no particular issue with either my son or myself driving it.

We hedged. "Let me bring someone who knows these things to take a look."

A day later I brought someone, a friend, who repairs "large equipment" for his living. My friend's first question: "Is there any paperwork associated with this bus?"

"Sorry, no paperwork. Cash on the barrel, no warranty, no nuttin." But very obviously a former school bus. With (now) 113K miles.

The salesman had to go back to the office to get the key. While we were alone my friend said "lets check something first." He opened the hood, pulled out the transmission dip stick, held it between his closed palms prayer style and took a whiff.

"You don't want this bus. This baby's got problems - and that's why the school system is dumping this bus."

Burned tranny.

The salesman returned with the key. We apologized for wasting his time.

My friend explained: EVERY school bus has VOLUMES of paperwork associated with its use and life. And when this paperwork is missing, it's because someone doesn't want something to be known.

I tried to pay him for his time. He wouldn't take it. "Just paying it forward - you do a favor for me sometime."

I was flattered that he would think I was possible to return it.

Joe K