Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
foxfire42

Default Buying a car 2000 away

I'm looking to buy a car from an Estate. I found an Escrow company that will hold the money until I receive the vehicle and accept it. Their price for this service is 8.9% which seems high. Does anyone on here know another way of being protected for less? I've purchased 3 cars in the past but from MARC or MAFCA members and there's been no problems.

Barb
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: Buying a car 2000 away

Find a Model A club in the area where the car is and ask if there is someone in the club who will go look at the car to evaluate it and call you with his honest description.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
WHN

When we have sold cars we require the new owner or his representative to inspect car before deposit is taken. Than full payment in cash before shipping or delivery.

You could have car inspected for you, (car inspection company) if you cannot do inspection your self.

I would not ship a car to anyone who might decide to not buy it.

I must be really missing something here.

Last edited by WHN; 12-28-2017 at 10:09 AM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Synchro909

Where is the car? Maybe someone nearby could look at it for you.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Maybe it is just me but I think I smell a scam, be careful.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Crankster

8.9%? Wow, nice work if ya can get it!
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
burner31

For a purchase of this importance, if it was me, I would keep the 8.9% in my pocket and go see/get the car myself.
Call me cynical, but I have to agree with post #5
Post #2 also is a wise choice, and you could also throw the club a small donation, surely less than 8.9% of the total purchase price
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:30 AM   #8
Dollar Bill

Does anyone on here know another way of being protected for less?

Best solution is go see for yourself. If that's not an option, I would seek an appraisal from someone familiar with vintage autos.

Also good advice to inquire of local Model A club members for recommendations on how to proceed.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
Fomoco998

There is a lot of estate sale scams out there nowadays . Fake escrows take your money and don't even have the car . Beware just my .02
Fomoco998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
ronn

Pay with paypal and pay the 3% fees.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #11
2manycars

I just sold a 36 coupe. I offered to have a member of the V8 club look at it for the buyer, but he decided to fly from Denver and rent a car at the airport and come see the car, inspect it, and drive it. He transferred the money to my account on the spot, and then arranged for transport. Seeing is believing.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Marshall V. Daut

2000 miles from Arizona or Washington State? Then the car must be in the eastern Midwest or Mid-South? As someone suggested, please tell us where the car is located and perhaps one of the "Fordbarn" gang can check it out for you. That would save you a bundle and give you peace of mind that the car actually exists and is as advertised. Most of us on this website are up to our gills in Model A ownership, so unless the car is a $350 A-400 with a slightly dented left rear fender, you probably don't need to worry about one of us snatching it away from you. Otherwise, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and taking a big chance.
Marshall in SE Iowa, across from Illinois (Am I warm in the location?)

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 12-28-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
Clem Clement

Recently I inspected a car for a guy in Texas. He seemed pleased. I was as good as I could be, and pointed out that there has been some custom work and since the tires were flat at it didn't start, be careful. I could not see under the thing
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
700rpm

Having someone inspect it is a good idea if you trust that inspector. About ten years ago a local friend who knew nothing about A's found a pickup in the LA area that sounded good. I knew a former LA MAFCA board member! and asked him to recommend someone he knew down there to inspect the car. He did, and sent his acquaintance out to look at it. He came back with a positive report and my local friend sent the seller the money, hitched up a trailer, drove 1000 miles to get the car.

It looked good, but in the event it wouldn't start, and had two flat tires. The roof was installed incorrectly, as was the header. If I had been able to go with him, I would have told him to forget it. But he bought it anyway. When he got it home, we discovered it had two sticky valves and wasn't timed right. It took us about 12 hours to get it diagnosed and repaired and running, and fix the flats. He loved that truck after that, and eventually sold it to his neighbor, who also loved it, and bought a better one.

I doubt the "inspector" ever even looked at the first car. The moral of the story is, get an inspector you trust and who really knows what they're looking at!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'll rent you my Dog, he can SMELL a RAT, 187 Yards away
Old 12-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #16
foxfire42

WOW! lots of good advice. I've never had a bad experience so may be just too trusting.
Looks like the general consensus is to go look at the car with my own eyes. I have the time (retired) and a trailer. I just don't like the idea of all that windshield time. I can tap a friend that will help me drive. The last time I looked at the weather channel it was COLD outside!

Sorry Bill, Dog can't help. His smeller would have to work 13,326,720 feet from Fresno but thanks for the offer......
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #17
deuce_roadster

I just sold a brand x car to a guy that was 1200 miles from me. I insisted I wouldn't sell it unless he looked at it in person and could judge the condition. (it was a totally rust free 65 chevelle convertible) anyway, he and his bother drove up here, inspected it, went to town and got a 1 way U-Haul trailer and headed back home. You could do the same sort of thing, go look at it (either drive or fly) and if it meets your standards, buy it and either arrainge transportation or rent a 1 way trailer. Be a shame to tow your trailer round trip if it ended up a car you didn't want. I think you would spend less then the escrow fee you quoted and be happier with the purchase if you bought it.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #18
Dave in MN

I have never purchased a Model A without looking at it before buying. Most people have a different over the phone rating system of condition than I do and that's the problem.
I would/do look before buying. Always!
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #19
Synchro909

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've bought 2 cars from the US sight unseen. The first exceeded my expectations and is still the best driving A I have. The second had obviously been restored by someone to flip at a profit. Some of the work could have been better. It had done who knows how many miles since but I suspect quite a few. It had brand new tyres on it yet the main bearings were loose. It had worn out a set of tyres at least. I took between 0.005 and 0.007" out of each main bearing! Boy, did it rattle! Anyway, after correcting a few things, I have a good car. Sometimes you just gotta trust someone.
On behalf of a forum member who is selling a car and wanted to make sure the person he was dealing with was OK, I just tracked him down (he lives about 1,200 miles from me) and confirmed he could deal with him with confidence. I suggest you ask someone on this forum who has no dog in the fight to help out.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #20
SteveB31

Hop on the airplane. Plane ticket way cheaper then getting taken. If you like the car when you see it, wire transfer the money, rent a storage place, drive it over to the storage place and leave it- pick it up when you have time to get it. I have done this more then once. Just my thoughts

Steve @ Bert’s
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote