Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
Bob/AZ

Default U-haul open trailer

I am about to open trailer my '30 Town Sedan from Arizona to North Carolina on the U-Haul car carrier (all four wheels off the ground). It will be behind the largest U-Haul truck (26 footer). I'm thinking that being that close to that large square wind breaker might be better protection than if it were behind a pickup. I can't remember if the U-Haul vans have mud flaps. I do have a soft cover for my A but have heard a few horror stories about paint damage from the abrasive action of even that soft material from the wind movement. I also have read about using the shrink wrap stuff at least on the upper window part of the car. This would also keep the doors closed in case of a latch failure.
So, I'm just wondering if some of you have towed behind the large vans and what your experience was. Sure would appreciate your thoughts. I need to get "George" to NC with as little damage as possible. I would love to drive it but circumstances won't allow that this time. Thanks, Bob
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: U-haul open trailer

If George is a show car, use a covered carrier. If not, it will be just fine behind the uhaul.
Tie him down tight and find an A club in NC.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

I have towed my wide-bed many miles on an open trailer with my pickup, no problems. Behind a van should be even better. A friend towed his woody from CA to AZ a few years back. He put a blanket over it, then a tarp, then wrapped it all tight with duct tape to keep the wind from flapping the tarp. It traveled very well, but took some work. IMO, the biggest worry would be wind damage to the top material.

Last edited by Jim Brierley; 08-17-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added info
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
Big hammer

A 26 foot truck would accept your George! Getting him up and in might be a little tuff, you could use a loading dock?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: U-haul open trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/AZ View Post
I am about to open trailer my '30 Town Sedan from Arizona to North Carolina.

Sure would appreciate your thoughts.

I need to get "George" to NC with as little damage as possible.

Thanks,
Bob

There is no substitute for an enclosed trailer.

Jim
trulyvintage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Bob/AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
A 26 foot truck would accept your George! Getting him up and in might be a little tuff, you could use a loading dock?
Unfortunately the 26' truck will be packed full.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
Gary Karr

If you are renting a U-Haul truck, have you thought about putting your Model A inside the truck? Several years ago, I moved my 31 Roadster from Montana to Arizona in the back of a U-Haul truck. I found a loading doc with a ramp and drove the Roadster into the truck all the way to the front wall of the box. I then locked all four wheels by adjusting them to where they would not turn. I then nailed wood blocks to the floor on each side of all four tires. The car did not move an inch.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Mulletwagon

Towed my 31 Tudor on a U-Haul car carrier with an Expedition and it tracked and braked great ! Went from NC to FL panhandle with no issues at all. Did not have a cover or any protection on the A and arrived without a nick or scratch. Had it up to 70 a few times and everything was rock solid. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Open trailer, put a piece of board over the radiator fins. If a stone/rock kicks up protects the radiator.

Some people turn the A around so the front faces the rear of the trailer, do not remember reasons why
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
daveymc29

OPEN TRAILER, probably better to cover the top material with the handy wrap that the tow companies use to keep wrecks together in transit. A lady called us to help her with an A she had purchased in Arizona and was delivered open trailer. The top had torn loose from the front and peeled back about six inches. Long story short, she refused the car and went back to seller in Arizona on the same open trailer. I had broken a window out of the rear door on a modern car in Wyoming and went to the dealer to get anew window.They didn't have it in stock but wrapped the door and broken glass with several layers of of that handy wrap and I drove it back to Californium without even losing the rest of the glass. Also, no paint damage, it doesn't flap about. I'd wrap from the top down to the belt and not worry. Wrap the radiator also. Costco for big box of Handy Wrap.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #11
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/AZ View Post
Unfortunately the 26' truck will be packed full.
Put the car in the truck and pile all your other stuff on the trailer. Where are you priorities man!!!!. I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as you are not going to be encountering any gravel roads. You may want to do a search on your route and make sure the5e vis no construction that may have the road tore up for a few miles. I would never try to cover it with something. As long as it's pave all the way, it's safer than driving it as it won't get hit with any rocks from oncoming traffic. If you are concerned you can either rent a covered trailer rather than an open one or you can buy a covered trailer and sell it when you get there. BTW, regardless of what you decide to do, be sure to tie it down with the proper tie downs that go over the tires. You will not be able to see or feel it back there and you DON'T want your ties coming loose.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #12
1930-Pickup

A friend took a trailer on the Alaskan Highway all the way up. When he did it, a lot of it was dirt road (is it still dirt?).

He placed a sheet of plywood up front and super-secured it to the trailer. When he returned home the front of the plywood was battered, but not broken.

Plywood shield/deflector. Cheap, easy, effective.

Your plastic pallet wrap idea is a good one too. Put some moving blankets over the car before you wrap the top section.

Last edited by 1930-Pickup; 08-17-2020 at 05:28 PM.
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #13
Synchro909

As hinted above, tie the car down by the wheels - NOT to anything above the springs. The inevitable bouncing will loosen or more likely break the tie downs and damage the car.
I once saw pictures of a project car being towed on a trailer with the tie down ropes going through the side windows. I have a pretty good idea what those doors will have looked like by the time he got to wherever.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #14
copgib

Bob when I brought my Model A Coupe from Texas to Florida I used an open UHaul trailer also. What I did was tape cardboard on the front window, headlights and grill area. Believe me on the freeway rocks do fly and it will make cleaning the bugs off it alot easier. My car arrived without any breakage and in fine condition. Just remember, you can't be too careful with your baby. Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #15
BillLee/Chandler, TX

I towed my Tudor on a U-Haul car carrier from Denver to East Texas when I bought it. Taped cardboard onto the radiator and front glass parts. Towed with an F150 pickup. Took a rock to the windshield of the pickup but the A survived o.k.

Taking the tape off the windshield frame took big chunks of paint as well: be careful.

My biggest worry was the fabric roof of the A. I was uncomfortable with it ballooning at highway speeds (65 max) and used lashing straps through the side windows and across the top to keep it safe.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #16
dean from bozeman

Bill Lee, you are wiser than me. I didn't consider the ballooning of the roof fabric when I open trailered a Leatherback home some years ago. The top not only ballooned but the back seam ripped open.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #17
Cape Codder

Many years ago I used a 26' U-Haul truck to take a Tudor from Everertt, WA to Cape Cod with no problems! OH! and I had all my household stuff from a two bedroom house. Lastly, I had a '66 Pontiac Catalina in tow.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
RTPbee81

I trailered mine 1100 miles from Iowa to NC, used the shrink wrap from Home Depot and no issues with the Sport Coupe top from the late 80's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safety check 26th WV (2).jpg (53.4 KB, 71 views)
RTPbee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #19
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Bill Lee, you are wiser than me. I didn't consider the ballooning of the roof fabric when I open trailered a Leatherback home some years ago. The top not only ballooned but the back seam ripped open.
I worry about that when driving in a serious wind, head wind or cross wind. I can see it being a concern when trailering behind a pickup or car. Being shielded behind a U-haul van SHOULD offer considerable protection from the wind as it will cause a draft and the location of the car should have very little wind, certainly not more that when driving it at 50 MPH I would think and unlikely much less. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to wrap the roof just to be safe.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #20
Jim Brierley

Best thing is an enclosed trailer, tied down as syncro says, by the axles. Don't know if U-haul rents them or not???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote