Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
B-O-B

Default spark plug wires

Just got this 59A-B going with all new internals cept for the reconditioned rods ,turned 3 3/4 crank, & reground cam to L-100 specs. Heads milled & block squared & decked. It fired right off but with no cooling I shut it right down. Just had to see if it would. Kinda tight for the 6V starter tho. It originally had a helmet dizzy & wire conduits with these 7 MM hi-performance solid core wires. I would prefer to use the carb that I installed but the wires are just a weee bit short to use with the wire conduits. I can find the cloth woven wires.
This engine came from a 39 ford race engine & I would like to keep some resemblance of it. I didn't get the heads but a have dual intake that will be installed sometime in the future.
Going to replace the tired 21 stud in my 34 roadster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark plug wires.jpg (82.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 17155764_10211770242953580_1667796107943540073_n.jpg (73.5 KB, 59 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: spark plug wires

I bought a 250' roll of Packard 440 and a bunch of Rajah spark plug terminals from The Brillman Co. and am now set for life.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
B-O-B

Tubman I may have to go that route if I can't locate the wires I would like. I have bought from Brillman several times & may have to buy their woven lacquered covered wire. REALLY would like to find the one in my picture to restore this engine to its previous condition. What color black or other?. This is my last one no kiddin I'm getting way too old for this stuff. Have never figured out why I started this one but it is almost done.
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

I love the good ole' Packard 440 wire - bit it is black. You should be able to buy the cloth covered wires in bulk - then cut them to your specific length. It is a pain in the butt - though it gives the best results.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
B-O-B

B&S Thanks,I have preparation H so no problem. HA HA
Yes I am kinda leaning that way & if they didn't have tracers running thru I would probably had it done already.
Just got back from a Fla visit & Garlits museum had plenty of dragsters & hemi & flatheads with the kind of wire that is on my engine but nothing to spare.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

B-O-B, did you do the personal tour that Don offers? I did that tour on my last visit to his museum, and really enjoyed seeing all of his personal collection. I did a video during the tour and put it on Utube.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
B-O-B

NOPE sorry that I didn't but ask the girls if Big was in & they said had just left.
I will send you a P M .