Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #41
klawockvet

Default Re: model A trailer

Call Henderson in SLC.http://www.hendersonwheel.com/trailer_parts.htm They will build an axle to your specs and use 5 on 5.5 hubs. The option for EZ Lube hubs is worth the price of the upgrade. You can probably sell the Model A rear end or front end for less than the price of the axle and you will have a better set up.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #42
oldwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
where on harbor freight is this trailer discussed above ? ...... thanks .. steve

***I like the $400 small hard-shell covered tear-drop looking one that Harbor Freight sells***
V4F here is a link to HF http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ler-66771.html

I have started to convert the hubs on a light trailer axle I had to 5.5" 5 lug The project is on hold now till I get back home in April from the deserts of Arizona. I had enough of the cold and snow in Minnesota. Riding the Harley in 75* weather is a heck of a lot more fun then shoveling snow at -20* thanks everybody for the input. As always the people here have great ideas, it helps a person to think through this stuff.

Last edited by oldwoodsman; 01-30-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: more info
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #43
V4F

I finally found it . thank you . I like it !!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #44
Bill Lee/Virginia

I am not attempting to hi-jack this thread.

I like the looks of the HF trailer too. I have been looking for a small trailer to take on overnight tours (such as the MARC National Tour this Sept) with my Cabbie since there is not much storage area in the car. However, the wheels/tires look rather small to me.

Also, the local HF has a sale at this time of 25% off any single purchase that would lower the price of the trailer to approximately $279 including sales tax.

Questions: 1. Are these small tires subject to blow-outs or subject to wheel bearing failure traveling several hours at 40 to 50 mph with trailer loaded with 200-400 lbs of cargo?

2. What is involved in materials, time and money in changing the wheels to 5 on 5-1/2 so that 19 inch Model A wheels/tires could be used?

3. Anyone ever modified wheels on this trailer or similar one to fit Model A wheels?

Thanks for your replies.

Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #45
CarlG

Bill Lee:
I see these same tires/wheels on trailers being towed behind motorcycles and on small boat trailers all the time. Should be no problem. Shouldn't be much of a task with the right tools to make an adapter from the 4-lug to the Model A wheel. Fenders might be a different story.

Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #46
ctvpa

I think for all the work of converting one, and not being to use it in this state, Tractor Supply has trailer axle's (that fit Model A wheels), springs, parts, fenders. And all for less time and money you will spend trying to convert one. You could probably sell the 'A' axle you have and by this for even money, and have a quality safe unit.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #47
klawockvet

Questions: 1. Are these small tires subject to blow-outs or subject to wheel bearing failure traveling several hours at 40 to 50 mph with trailer loaded with 200-400 lbs of cargo?

If the diameter of the tire is half of the model A tire the bearing and tire will be going twice as fast. When you are going 40 to 50 in the model A a tire half that size will be going 80 to a 100. If the tires are a third of the diameter they will be going over a hundred. Trailer tires are rated for no more than 60 or 65 and all the new Chinese trailer tires are basically junk. The bearing situation is even worse. If you are dead set on a HF trailer I would recommend at the very least putting the larger Model A tires on it and replacing the bearings and races with Timken's. I wouldn't pull a HF trailer on the road period, especially behind a nice car.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #48
Tom Wesenberg

8" wheels and tires only belong on yard carts pulled by the lawn tractor. I'm even thinking of changing the 12" tires on my light boat trailer to 13" car tires. I have a single place snowmobile trailer with 8" tires, and I was constantly changing flats and blowouts, and I like to travel 55 to 60 MPH in my modern car. Driving faster than 60 just wastes gas, and in case of an accident it lowers your chance of survival.

After several flats with the 8" wheels on my snowmobile trailer, I finally installed the rear axle from a junk VW Rabbit with 13" wheels. End of flats!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:45 AM   #49
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for prudent advice & I agree 100%.

We live in an area where fishing is great, & not a once or twice a year event -- years ago, caught enough fish to feed the entire neighborhood with filets -- caught 350 extra large goggle perch before noon in Atchafalaya Spillway prior to noon on live Mississippi River Shrimp we caught in shrimp boxes -- not to mention salt water fishing, with our fishing galore -- serious fishing -- always pulled homemade wooden boat with a 1930 Model A Coupe with a Model A homemade boat trailer made with a Model A front axle & Model A 30 " wheels.

This is what the original person's question is asking for -- a trailer made with a Model A axle -- so simple.

Roadsides even back then & today are always full of factory made boat trailers with 8" &12" blown out wheels & junk trailer parts & burnt bearings -- wall to wall uninformed jackasses standing on the side of the road who never made it to the boat launch -- in my opinion, these idiots never had an idea of the value of a good boat trailer made with Model A front axles.

Since 1960, 54 years ago , my rebuilt boat trailer made from an earlier 1932 boat trailer was made from a Model A front axle has served me well with no bearing failures & no small tire failures.

Just never had time to be stranded on the side of the road at 5:00 a.m. with the advertised Harbor Freight, J. C. Whitney & other crap trailer set ups -- we are "serious" fisherman -- in my opinion, similar to then gentleman's initial question -- do it once -- do it right -- who has time to sit on the side of the road to wait for a wrecker while eating one's fishing lunch, usually Vienna Sausage & crackers or left overs -- Henry Ford always did it right ............ but so few listened.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #50
oldwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee/Virginia View Post
I am not attempting to hi-jack this thread.

I like the looks of the HF trailer too. I have been looking for a small trailer to take on overnight tours (such as the MARC National Tour this Sept) with my Cabbie since there is not much storage area in the car. However, the wheels/tires look rather small to me.

Also, the local HF has a sale at this time of 25% off any single purchase that would lower the price of the trailer to approximately $279 including sales tax.

2. What is involved in materials, time and money in changing the wheels to 5 on 5-1/2 so that 19 inch Model A wheels/tires could be used?

3. Anyone ever modified wheels on this trailer or similar one to fit Model A wheels?

Thanks for your replies.

Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill.... to answer your question on the conversion, when I get home in April I can take some pics to post of the conversion from 4 lug to 5 x 5.5". I had the older trailer axle and springs already on hand. To convert I used a vertical mill, a lathe, and a welder. If I didn't have the axle and springs already, it would have been more practical to purchase them already set up. It didn't take much material, just some I/4" plate steel for a 8" disk. I've made other trailers here in MN. and the registration for a homemade is not a problem.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote