Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #21
Ziggster

Default Re: Is it normal to build an engine test stand?

That is brilliant! With my luck I’ll likely end breaking some bones while the works goes up in flames. Lol!
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #22
cas3

never a dull moment at GB's house, wish i was a neighbor!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #23
Pete Fl/Wi

I will try the 2by4 on my next build. Engines I have run on my stand have all been good runners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0527.jpg (66.1 KB, 56 views)
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #24
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Ever since I purchased my junkyard flathead back in 2018, I have watched dozens and dozens of vids of folks who have tested their flatheads on home built engine test stands. I really never gave it much thought, but do most actually do this this? I plan on making one and was just curious as I get closer to completing mine.
It is not normal to build an engine test stand if you do not need one. It would be a waste of time, material and space to store. Also, you could be called weird by your wife for doing so.

However, it WOULD be good practice in fabrication skills.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Heck, I don't think there's a normal one of us in the bunch. That's what keeps me coming back day after day. When all of you start being normal, I'll have to find some kinda new forum. Like buying a nissan leaf and going onto their forum every night. Now there's some entertainment! Oh, and on the test stand it helps if the flywheel is a bit rusty on the perimeter. It's like a steeper hill.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #26
cas3

i was normal once...well, i think anyway, but that was a long time ago so i don't remember much of it
Old 01-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #27
FRANK PKNY

My test stand built from scrap, and a Flea market fuel tank. purchased new gauges only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1713 (1).jpg (95.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:09 AM   #28
GB SISSON

Frank, that's a beautiful piece of work.... The engine on it is not so bad either! I don't see much back pressure in that exhaust but really we don't put more than a few miles on the stand. I have a couple of sawed off exhaust pipes painted red I use on mine.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:29 AM   #29
bobH

Posts 8 & 9... Old tire works great. Back when I worked at a dealership (60 yrs ago), we had a couple mechanics that just ran them on the floor, no tire, no nothing. Never for anything serious... Just checking for leaks and noises.
My current 'stand' is a roll-around Chinese cart, sold by some vendor in HMN, intended for a sbc. I think at the time, they were on sale for something under 50 bucks (maybe 39.95). I modified the thing, both to have a sbc starter, and also, to fit a flathead ford. Turns out, to fit the flathead, I just turned the engine around 180 deg, and the mod to the stand was minimal to make the flathead fit. I've only used it a couple times, and although 'flimsy', it works. I'm not really recommending this, but for 'cheap', and for a guy that only might use it once or twice, it's ok. As noted above, bigger casters would be a plus. Heck, even if you don't use it as a run-stand, it's a cheap way to make a 'roller' for a flathead.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #30
Johnny Nitro

Funny, I just got done slapping one together for my first flattie. I’m terrible at welding, but it works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BB1E7714-6DED-497E-B4ED-2DFD7CE587B9.jpeg (37.0 KB, 86 views)
Johnny Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #31
FRANK PKNY

Thanks GB I run it in my shop, using two ten foot exhaust hose under the garage door, I think that should give me enough back pressure. I'm a firm believer to run on a test stand, not to break in, but to test all functions and proof the engine prior to installation.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #32
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
A test stand can deatroy the rings faster than 100k miles. Why?? well if you have a run stand you\ll run the new engine without a load. Doesn't hurt for a short time just to make sure everything is working right. But then you have to run it for your buddies while you get the car ready. A year later you put it in the car and wonder why it burns oil. now you know. Truck tire works just fine.
Gramps
yup! put the motor in the car and drive it like you sold it

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #33
russcc

For a valued opinion on test stands, you all may want to refer to Verb Tardels's book, How to Build and Modify Ford flathead V-8 Engines", page 200. Quote; "Hundreds of freshly built flatheads have begun life on Vern's test stand" The motor in the stand spent 10 plus hours on the stand, prior to hitting the road in the roadster for an additional 30K plus trouble free miles". I built my own stand, and use it to run used motors to sort them out, and I started the new 59L on it to ensure oil pressure was and water temp were ok, and there were no leaks. Then it goes in the '40. There's fair amount of work putting and engine, radiator & fan in a '40. There no way I want to do it twice.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #34
Ol' Ron

I was quite young back then and still learning. However, Yes I had a run stand and I ran all my engines in it, untill I got a dyno to add a load. The amount o time the engine spent on the stand was to test for leaks ans noises that shouldn't be there oil pressure aswell. Found several Mellings pumps that were crap and went back to the stock ones.. I didn't want my customers finding these problems. Now as for the Dyno, thats another story.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #35
GB SISSON

I have a T9 with a band brake on it. I wonder if you ran it in fourth and trained a garden hose over the band if you could go 'up and down hills' with that. It also gives a rear mount for the engine. Extra work for sure.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #36
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I have a T9 with a band brake on it. I wonder if you ran it in fourth and trained a garden hose over the band if you could go 'up and down hills' with that. It also gives a rear mount for the engine. Extra work for sure.
I've thought about something like that myself. Like a big truck brake assembly. to allow some load to be added. You have to be careful about this kind of thinking. I leads to thinking about adding a lever and load cell to the brake and coming up with a crude dyno!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #37
Zeke3

Look up a Prony Brake Dynamometer, it is along the lines of what you are proposing.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #38
tubman

Please! I DO NOT need any encouragement with stuff like this!
Old 01-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #39
cas3

garbage trucks that do frequent stops use an electromagnet flywheel of some sort in the drive shaft for brakes
Old 01-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #40
tubman

Another trouble-maker!