Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Ash or oak?

I have to make the sill planks (for lack of a better description) for my DD and am pricing out wood. I'm of the understanding that either white oak or ash was used. White oak is double the price of ash. Is one better than the other. Which is preferred and why?. Thanks
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
nosoup4u

Default Re: Ash or oak?

In general woodworking terms, Ash is actually a bit harder than oak. I have more trouble getting it to stain well, and it has more of a tendency to move.
nosoup4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
28Ca8149

Use ash you will have a hard time putting nails or screws in oak.I just did a Fordor .got the wood from North Carolina Classic wood .the question is what kind of wood did Ford use ? He would get the pallets made a certain size so he could use the wood for his cars .There was some very hard wood and soft wood in my car .When the wood body was made it was done accurate,The the metal was just nailed on so the problem is that when you are doing wood you don’t have much to help you get it right
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Chris Haynes

Remember that originally the wood in the bed was painted.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
denis4x4

The ‘29 CCPU in my avatar is stretched 6-1/2” and I had to create the entire top wood from scratch. No issues with white oak. I did pre-drill some of the joints as well as using Gorilla glue. Too, I have shop with a small fortune invested in wood working tools.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Remember that originally the wood in the bed was painted.

Unfortunately I think you are mistaken. I am pretty sure we are talking about a 130B bodystyle, --and if so, the bedwood was not painted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DELIVERY RESTORATION 111.jpg (52.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DELIVERY RESTORATION 115.jpg (49.4 KB, 49 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
Oldbluoval

You are right about ask and oak. I have found both. Particularly Oak sills and ash uprights. One problem, among many, is when oak touches metal and slightest water/humidity, it starts an acid process with the metal.

But, you will be much happier working with hard maple. Less splintery and splitting. Easier on the cutters.

All IMHO
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I have to make the sill planks (for lack of a better description) for my DD and am pricing out wood. I'm of the understanding that either white oak or ash was used. White oak is double the price of ash. Is one better than the other. Which is preferred and why?. Thanks

Well, the print calls for clean Oak to be used on the A-35105-B, A-35106-B, A130033-B and *34-B Sills and the floor cross Sills. These really were painted in the truest sense, but sprayed lightly with a preservative so the grain will show. If you do not care what people think, then go with the Ash. When you do the floors in the rear, if you are going to varnish them, I would definitely go with the Ash as the Oak tends to 'bleed" acid over time which causes dark streaks.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well I guess Bill & I were posting similar thoughts at the same time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
ronn

I use ash on everything, including my 52 Buick woody.
stronger and reasonable.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Licensed to kill

Thanks for all the input. I should have included more info in my OP. Yes it is a 130B. It is NOT a "restoration" but rather a "resto-mod" so I was looking my question was more about utility rather than authenticity. I feel confident going with ash for all of the structural wood and something else for the floor for aesthetic reasons. Thanks again, I appreciate all of the response. Was a big help.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
BudP

"White Oak is more water resistant compared to Ash. (Red Oak is an "open grain" wood whereby White Oak is a "closed grain" wood.) The White Oak should be used for bed wood. I seem to recall that Henry used "Oak."

Ash is a hardwood also, but not very resistant to the elements. And, cheaper than a good, White Oak.

The prettiest White Oak is "Rift Sawn." Not as "dramatic" as the normal multi grain patters with undulating swirls. Looks cheap. (My opine..) The Rift Sawn White Oak is just elegant. Rift also does not have the brown "flakes" that quarter sawn Oak has."
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
These really were painted in the truest sense, but sprayed lightly with a preservative so the grain will show.
This was going to be my next question "what, if anything, was put on the wood?". What would have been sprayed on the wood? or better still, what is recommended to do with the wood today?. Also, when you said "if you don't care what people think use ash" did you mean from an authentic perspective?.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
Terry, NJ

Just My $.02! Go with Ash! I was researching this a few years ago and found that body builders in the UK will not use oak, they used ( and use ) Ash. Now the species of Oak varies, for instance, I don't believe that Britain has what we call "Live Oak". To this day, Morgan uses Ash in all it's cars. There maybe several reasons for this. Oak tends to splinter into long wooden daggers when it with sufficient impact. This was noted in the days of wooden sailing ships when some of the most dangerous things were flying oak spears on their cannon decks. Ash is a much finer grain and that makes easier to get and hold dimensions better. Also, I believe Ash is somewhat better at moisture resistance. This is not proven, only suspected. I believe Oak will draw up more water and there for there will be a greater distortion and loss of size due to water absorption.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #15
eagle

There are several species of ash. Wood quality between white ash, green ash and black ash are not even close. Black ash grows in the low areas here, its almost as hard as white oak. White ash is much lighter weight and softer. Here is a interesting cheatsheet on some woods. If you ever need to buy wood, these people can get you some beautiful quality stuff. https://www.renneberghardwoods.com/lumber