Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
F-word541

Default 56 292 spark plugs

I am looking to get new plugs for my 56 wagon. It's got the original 292 that I put an autolite 4100 carb on. I was running pertronix ignition until it failed. I went back to the points and condenser. Pretty sure I want to go with a copper core plug, but I see that some say resistor or non-resistor. Not sure what the difference is or which one to go with. Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 56 292 spark plugs

Part of the reason for 'resistor' plugs or wires is to cut down on static in the AM radio.
They also reduce stray magnetic fields around the plug wires that can... interfere with some electronic ignition systems.

I'll let someone who knows about specific spark plugs answer your original question.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-19-2018 at 04:08 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Ole Don

I really liked the NGK plugs that I bought at O'Riellys. They outlasted Champions by four to one. I gapped them at .030 to .032
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
mikhett

I also prefer NGK PLUGS in my Ford Fe 390
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 292 spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-word541 View Post

Pretty sure I want to go with a copper core plug, but I see that some say resistor or non-resistor. Not sure what the difference is or which one to go with. Any thoughts?
Here is an excellent tutorial on RESISTOR/SUPPRESSION spark plugs. Scroll down to RESISTOR-

https://www.ngk.com/glossary/8/spark-plug/R

Quote:
At the moment the spark jumps the Gap it causes a high frequency burst of energy, known as RFI (radio frequency interference). RFI, as its name suggests, creates static on your radio and interference with other electronic equipment, including the vehicle’s on-board electronic control units (ECUs).

Resistor plugs were developed in the 1960s to suppress some of the spark energy, thus lowering RFI to an acceptable level. Most Resistor spark plugs use a monolithic Resistor, generally made of graphite and
glass materials, to filter the electrical voltage as it passes through the Center Electrode.

Since Resistor type plugs actually “resist” some of the spark energy, non-Resistor type plugs actually deliver a more powerful spark. It is for this reason that most racing plugs are non-Resistor types. However, in most automotive applications, a Resistor plug is required for proper vehicle operation. Use of non-Resistor plugs in
vehicles that call for a Resistor type can result in rough idling, high-rpm misfire, and abnormal combustion.
In fact, the entire site will prove very educational IMO.

Concerning your period engine, a quality set of IGN WIRES (also discussed within the site) will give you adequate suppression allowing the plugs (non-resistor) to deliver a hotter spark (again IMO).

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Tech article

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
paul2748

I use Autolite 46's for years and never had a bad one.
paul2748 is online now   Reply With Quote