Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
rlh37ford

Default 68-B Cabriolet Seat Pleats?

Hey guys, if you have a LeBaron Bonney upholstery kit in your 68-B Cabriolet w/adjustable seat, please let me know how many “panels” are in the back rest and in the bottom cushion. Don’t count the seams where the buttons reside. Just count the panels. The JS states 10-10, but I need to know what LBB made for your car so I can get them to correct mine. The back rest they sent me only has 8 panels (7 seams where buttons go). My seat cushion has 10 panels (9 seams where buttons go). THANKS!
rlh37ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: 68-B Cabriolet Seat Pleats?

Here are photos of my 1931 68B seat backrest and cushion, LeBaron Bonney. These were done around 1996. They are 10 - 10

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
rlh37ford

btt
Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Russ B

For what it's worth, below are my couple years old notes taken to document my original spring, seat support assemblies of my 68A. I don't know if the design of the 68B fixed seats would be different, but others may wish to add their supporting or conflicting findings.

"Interior seat Notes
Original seat back had ten covered buttons spaced 36-37" side to side, or 4" apart. Buttons were mounted on the horizontal coil retainer wire for the second row of coils, about 7" down from the perimeter wire. * The seat bottom has no remaining evidence of buttons across the bottom.*

The fabric is apparently wrapped over a heavy cloth and felt type material covering the frame and likely to cover the frame assembly along with additional padding. The edge was double hemmed and a strip of cloth was placed over the nailing edge. A vertical pleat, using 4.5" fabric and a 4" spacing with the buttons attached in the pleats. nailing to the frame is only at the pleat folds.*

The fabric is the 'mohair' check design; and after years of weather, looking greenish and black except at the protected pleat fabric fold where it is looking brown and tan."
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
rlh37ford

Russ B: Thanks for your extensive input. But per the JS, the 68-A, 68-B & 68-C are all different. Further, the number of pleats w/buttons and in-between panels for the 30 68-B has changed in July or Aug of 30 when the adjustable seat was introduced to the Cabriolet.

Still need 68-B inputs fellas for the adjustable seat version. Need number of "panels" between the seams w/buttons. Please count your "panels"; not the seams where the buttons reside. And please advise if your upholstery is a LeBaron Bonney kit or done from scratch by an independent trim shop. Thanks, guys.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh37ford View Post
Still need 68-B inputs fellas for the adjustable seat version. Need number of "panels" between the seams w/buttons. Please count your "panels"; not the seams where the buttons reside. And please advise if your upholstery is a LeBaron Bonney kit or done from scratch by an independent trim shop. Thanks, guys.

rlh37ford
From the Restoration Guidelines and judging standards page 12-16 revised 1994
1930 Cabriolet (68B) with stationary seat Trim scheme: Tan Bedford Cord
Adapted February 1930, dropped July 1930
Seat (piped, 10 – 10) 10 backrest – 10 cushion

1930 31 Cabriolet (68B) Trim scheme: Brown Bedford Cord
(adapted July 1930)
Seat (piped 10 - 10 10 backrest – 10 cushion

Based on the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards as stated above it looks like your backrest has the incorrect number of pleats. I would encourage you to engage LeBaron Bonney in a phone call. My experience with them over the years is they will listen and make it right

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote