Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
matt92vr4

Default New guy to the Barn - 1929 Model A

Hello, my name is Matt. I'm new to the Barn and new to Model A's. Although I'm new, I'm very happy to be here.

Last weekend I was out picking and came across a gem in the distance in an old garage. Upon inspection it was a 1929 Model A truck. It looked to be in good pretty good shape and it had an old For Sale sign on it! $3,300 obo. The very nice old man who owned it said that it had been parked there for years but it ran when it was parked. He said he would let it go for $2,800.

I really have no need for this thing but it was so cool I could not get it out of my head. I told my dad what I found and he said his first car was a Model A back in 1944 and he has wanted to buy another one for years! I did a little research and it seemed that $2,800 was a deal!

So my dad went over and bought it and we towed it back to my house. Attached is a picture of my Dad (he's 82, one year newer than the truck haha) with his new truck!

We towed it home with a chain and my dad was doing all of the braking in the Model A, so that was quite fun. After we arrived safely home our next choir was to get it running. It was converted to 12v so we hooked up a battery and cranked her over. She turned really nice but would not start. We were not getting any spark. After cleaning the points we were able to get spark. A little shot of starting fluid and she fired right up! I had to keep it running manually by spraying gas into the carb but she sounded great! The gas tank is full of rust on the inside and very nasty. We removed it and are in the process of cleaning it (attached pic).

I'm a Model A newb, so please let me know if you see anything in the pictures that stands out as being strange. I know the wheels are not original and my Dad would like to find a set of 5 Model wheels for it.

The plan is to get it running very nice, give it a better black paint job, paint the wheels red with white wall tires, silver bumpers and grill. Then enjoy it!

So technically I am not an owner of a Model A, but it lives at my house and I will be doing all of the mechanical work on it with my dad. He will do the body work and paint. I'm very excited to find a nice forum like this to exchange ideas and find parts. My experience is in newer Japanese cars so let me know if you ever need anything in regards to that. Thanks for looking!

-Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A.jpg (79.0 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg MA Gas tank.jpg (72.2 KB, 797 views)
matt92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: New guy to the Barn - 1929 Model A

Welcome to the barn. I think you have the perfect plan for your new Model A: work with your dad to get it running, and have a bunch of fun with it! That's what this hobby is all about for me, and you are fortunate to have your dad to enjoy it with.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
matt92vr4

Thank you, I am very blessed to still have him around. I have not seen him this happy in a long time!

Question: Are all of the throttles hand operated? I have no idea how to drive it haha.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
newshirt

What a cool truck! Have fun with it.

The hand throttle acts sort of like a cruise control. But you'll normally use the accellerator on the floor. The hand throttle is mechanically connected to the accellerator.

You might consider picking up a copy of the owner's manual. Bert's has them. It will show you how to start and operate the truck.

Also, Model A Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, and Les Andrew's books.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn! Until you find the correct wheels you may want to leave as is and just drive it. it reminds me of something off of The Waltons or Green Acres! Make sure you drop the pan and check the bearings and for any other foreign objects. Someone put a very nice looking bed on her as well.

Mike
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
CarlG

Welcome to the Barn. It's neat that you have your Dad close by so that you can work together on this project. My Dad is 92 and lives 6,000 miles from me right now. He works with me "virtually", (by eMail) as I describe to him my each and every move & wrench turn I make. Not the same as having him here, but we make the best of things.

Great looking truck! -- and keep checking the swap meet ads (on this site) for a set of wheels. They come up all the time.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
c125bob

Welcome ! Nice truck and a great project for you and your Dad. It's a good idea to leave it as is for a while and drive it a good bit before painting etc. You will learn a lot and you can enjoy it while doing so. I'm new to the Model A world as well. I can truthfully say that I have learned so much here that's helped me with my A. Folks here in the A world are good people and will help you get that truck rolling and looking fine.

Enjoy !!!
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Do you, or anyone, have any ideas or info about it's cab construction?? Bill W.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
29ModelA

Drive it as is for awhile and see what it needs. Personally I like the 16" wheels that are on it, I put a set on our car

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Chris in WNC

don't start it again until you have dropped the oil pan & opened up the valve chamber so you can clean out whatever crud is in there. if there is none at least you will know for certain, but I doubt if it will be clean.

red wheels will look great, but PLEASE oh PLEASE do not put whitewall tires on it. they look just AWFUL on a Model A.

you and Dad are going to have FUN with this!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
visionary

Welcome aboard, i've always been partial to A pickups myself. i would get that one running good and just enjoy as is.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
red wheels will look great, but PLEASE oh PLEASE do not put whitewall tires on it. they look just AWFUL on a Model A.
<— They don't always look awful on a Model A!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
matt92vr4

Hi bill, the cab is made from wood. It's old, but certainly not original. They did a decent job. It's about 35 years old. I don't know anything more about that.

Thanks for the tip regarding the pan. I have not looked at it yet, do I use a gasket to reseal, or rtv?

These wheels look nice but the hubcaps have the v8 logo on them and my dad doesnt like that. Plus he really wants to put the spare in the fender and it looks like these wheels are too wide to fit it there. What do you think?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Fred K-OR

Realize you have to keep Dad happy, but like everyone says, check it out, get it running and then drive it for awhile till you decide what else to do with it.

If your gas tank is rusty inside you may want to get some stuff from one of the vendors to clean the tank and maybe coat it with a liner to keep the rust from giving you problems. While you have it out is a good time to do this.

You can also get gaskets from the vendors for the pan, valve cover and any other part you may take off. If you want a list of vendors there is a list in one of the first posts on this forum. Have fun with your Dad and the truck.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
Jazzjr

Hi Matt, Nice Find, I'm Wintering here in Punta Gorda until May. I will PM You, if I can Help you out in any way, contact me as I am only about 1/2 hour from You, and my Wife loves the Venice Beaches. And Id rather work on Model A's, then waste time sitting at the Beach all day!!

Last edited by Jazzjr; 12-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
<— They don't always look awful on a Model A!
Yea they do
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92vr4 View Post
Thanks for the tip regarding the pan. I have not looked at it yet, do I use a gasket to reseal, or rtv?

?
Gaskets. Give Phane Jones a call at 1-772-335-0227 a vendor in Stuart Fl. or Jerry Isbell a vendor in Casselberry Fl at 1-407-695-8911 tell them Mike from the Fort Lauderdale club gave you their number. Either will not steer you wrong.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
matt92vr4

Thanks for all of the wonderful info! We will certainly enjoy this truck before we start to mess with it too much! My in-laws live in Altamonte Springs, so I think I'll be visiting Jerry Isbell soon! I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and progress.

I found an old withered wiring diagram in the truck with the name "Patsy S. Wynn" on the bottom and a phone number. The ink had faded and it is barely legible. Yesterday I figured "what the heck" and I called the number. To my pleasant surprise Patsy answered! Her and her husband have been into Model A's since the 1930's and used to make diagrams for people having electrical problems. They said the diagram was probably made in the late 60's or early 70's. They were very nice people and I'm sure some of you probably know them already. He still has a fully restored A.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Al 29Tudor

Hi Matt,
Would love to meet you and your dad. I'm in Venice, just bought my first model A in February and have done quit a but of mechanical work on it in 10 months. I lean toward chris, #10, at least change the oil SOON.
Maybe Jazzjr from Punta Gorda can get together also.
Will send a privat message if I can figure out how.
Best of luck - what a great project for you and your dad.
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Thanks for all of the wonderful info! We will certainly enjoy this truck before we start to mess with it too much! My in-laws live in Altamonte Springs, so I think I'll be visiting Jerry Isbell soon! I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and progress.

I found an old withered wiring diagram in the truck with the name "Patsy S. Wynn" on the bottom and a phone number. The ink had faded and it is barely legible. Yesterday I figured "what the heck" and I called the number. To my pleasant surprise Patsy answered! Her and her husband have been into Model A's since the 1930's and used to make diagrams for people having electrical problems. They said the diagram was probably made in the late 60's or early 70's. They were very nice people and I'm sure some of you probably know them already. He still has a fully restored A.
Matt,
A friend here in Ca. got a package from his dad in Washington, packed with 5 year old classified newspaper ads. Whoa! a Model A phaeton for sale! For kicks, he called, car never sold! Later on a trip to see his dad, he took a trailer and bought the car! Guess what? the owner never told him it was a RHD! Yep, he bought it, green with black fenders! He still has it. Finding car's history is FUN stuff!
I have lots of old pics of VERMIN, my Avatar coupe, but NO written history, just a little heresay info. I can concoct my own fascinating history!!
If Chief, my Dad & mentor, were here, he would tell your Dad, "Don't put your spare back on the L/H fender, it's in the way and you can't open the door very wide and it's hard to get at the engine on the left!"
On my first "A," a '28 pickup, I backed up with the window down, door open, clipped a small tree, pushing the door into the spare & broke my plate glass window!!!+*^$#%#@$ Fortunately, the door popped out well, with a little persuasion!! Bill W.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #21
Gumpy

HI Matt

nice to put a smile on Pop's face enjoy every moment with him!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Christoph

Welcome @the barn
Dont take your car apart too much.
Change fluids, drive it and keep your dad happy
Long distance greetings
Christoph
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
kartknut36

Congrats to you Matt, and to your Dad.
Enjoy the experience together !
My Dad and my Roadster are both 29's.
Life is good !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DadAndMe0912_3.jpg (93.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DadAndMe0912_4.jpg (107.9 KB, 56 views)
kartknut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartknut36 View Post
Congrats to you Matt, and to your Dad.
Enjoy the experience together !
My Dad and my Roadster are both 29's.
Life is good !
Geez! Matt,
A Model A in the woods, I'm HOMESICK! Car looks great, did you just wash it in the crick?? Chief & I would drive under the WPA bridge on Buzzard Creek to wash the car. Momma would sit in the back seat & feed us biscuit sandwiches & Ice tea out the window. She said she had "tender" feet! LIFE WAS GOOD, PO', BUT GOOD! Bill W.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
columbiA

Matt-If you are going to keep the 16" wheels,get hubcaps for a 32 or 33 model B as they have the Ford script instead of V8 on them.If you let most of the air out of the spare it may fit in the side mount & carry a tire pump.Ive never liked SM,s,but the PU,s came with them.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Gaskets. Give Phane Jones a call at 1-772-335-0227 a vendor in Stuart Fl. or Jerry Isbell a vendor in Casselberry Fl at 1-407-695-8911 tell them Mike from the Fort Lauderdale club gave you their number. Either will not steer you wrong.

Welcome Matt from another newbie. Phane Jones has been a tremendous help to me. And, he knows, stocks and talks gaskets. Super friendly like almost all Model A'ers......
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
matt92vr4

Hi guys, thanks for following this thread and all of your help! My dad and I got a few hours to work on the A last night. We had the gas tank off to clean out the rust on the inside. We reinstalled the tank and successfully feed nice clean gas to the carb. This led us to our next challenge, the bowl gasket was toast and dumping gas everywhere. No problem, my dad is going to either find or make a new gasket today.

When we bought the car, none of the lights or horn worked. We started looking into this last night and were able to manually work everything by supplying power and ground to each unit (original 2 wire horn sounds awesome!!). Anyways, I stumbled upon something strange to me! We have what looks to be a 12v positive ground system. I'm not sure exactly. I work on new japanese cars so this is certainly strange for me. I've been studying wiring diagrams all day but they are not exactly like the truck. The truck has a 1960'sish fuse block on the firewall that seems to be the grounds?? Why would grounds be fused? Is this normal?

I removed the light switch on the bottom of the steering column. It's old and greasy but it appears that it will work after I clean it up.

Question: Does this switch deliver 12v+ to the units, or does it complete the grounds to each unit? According to the wiring diagram it should receive the yellow wire from the relay. Mine does not.

Question: The diagram shows the negative battery terminal connected to the starter and then being distributed to the keyed junction box. I currently have the 12v+ hooked up like this. Do I need to connect the battery "backwards"?

Question: Why do I have fuses in my grounds???

AHH! Thank you for your help.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
columbiA

If I were you, I would rip out all the old wiring & replace with the correct parts.You only need 3 harneses--The light,horn & brake harness #A-11647 for cars W-O cowl lamps,the gen or alt to terminal box wiring#A-11406A fabric loom & wires,or if fussy, wiring #A14406-B steel tubing & wires.The steel tubing has a tendency to crack at the bend & short out the wiring.The other harness you need is the terminal box to dash wiring. The light switch delivers voltage to the lights & all lights must be well grounded.I like to solder a ground wire near back end of bulb socket & run wire to lower hood hook screw for each head light.I also solder wires to socket wiring inside H L ,s & use bullet connectors behind rad shell. The short yellow wire on harness goes to horn,the blue-yellow tracer wire goes from horn to center terminal on L S disc.The horn is grounded when button is pushed to get the Ahooga sound. If you have a 12V alt it likely should be neg grd. To protect the wiring,I use a 30 amp breaker mounted on one side of the starter switch with the main wireto terminal box on one side & short wire to switch post on starter.An original A 6V gen will likely outlast you if properly rebuilt & if all grounds are kept clean,will be very trouble free.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #30
John LaVoy

Welcome Matt, hope you get involved in the hobby and become a Model A owner too.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #31
matt92vr4

Hello guys, thanks for the help. If it was my truck I'd certainly replace all of the harnesses with new ones however my dad is an 82 year old retired engineer who makes everything he owns lol. Thank you VERY much for the part numbers. I appreciate your time. Perhaps one day I will purchase these and slip them in when my dad is out of town! Until then...

Mike, that is the wiring diagram that I've been using. I think it is for a 6v positive ground setup?? Notice that the negative terminal is connected to the starter. I know the truck was originally positive ground but what I need to determine is whether or not it has been switched to negative ground. We've been using it as negative ground and have been able to start the engine and keep it running with no problem. I just thought it was strange that the fuses (see pic) were in-line with the negative grounds.

Also, there is/was no 12v+ going to the switch. On a 12v+ negative ground system, which power line needs to go to the switch? Currently the yellow wire that is suppose to go to the switch from the relay is actually running to the alternator.

If this is a 12v+ negative ground system, is it safe to run 12v+ to the old steering column switch? Thank you very much for your help!

-Matt

Also, the output from the alternator is not connected to anything. Should this be connected to the +starter cable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA Fuse.jpg (32.4 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg MA Alt.jpg (59.4 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg MA Switch.jpg (68.6 KB, 658 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Fred K-OR

Wow! What a bunch of wires. I agree with the recommendations of replacing all this stuff. But you do need to try to let your Dad get involved. Maybe after a few blown fuses and burnt wires, he may see the "light". Merry Christmas and have fun with your Dad.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #33
matt92vr4

Thanks guys. Worked on the a all day yesterday. The carb was leaking out of the bowl so my dad made a new gasket. Put it back together and the leak stopped but then the carb was puking large amounts of fuel while the engine was cranked. Took the carb back off and noticed the float was not making contact with the needle. Fortunately we have 2 extra carbs. We swapped floats with a good one and also cleaned all of the other internal parts. Put the carb back on and she started right up and ran great! We wanted to change the oil so I climbed under and removed the drain bolt. The sludge was so thick that the oil would not even drain out. After a couple minutes a very little amount was hanging out of the hole. It reminded me of a soft serve ice cream machine, chocolate flavor.

Time to drop the pan. Very easy. I think it took about 5 minutes. We had about 4 quarts of oil and one quart of sludge. It was discusting. Now we have that nice and clean. I have to order a new gasket.

After that we decided to work on the wiring. I determined that whoever did the 12 v conversion/rewire never actually finished because there was no way for any of the light or horn to receive power. The previous owner must have rriven it around with no lights! I have a plan to fix everything.

So we made a lot of progress. Couple more days should do It. where is the best place to buy a pan gasket? Thank, Matt
Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

PLEASE talk your Dad into goin' back to ALL stock looms, much simpler & you will have original wiring diagrams to refer to when needed. Bill Volt (Bill W.)
Old 12-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #35
Mike V. Florida

Do you and Dad a favor and rip out all that junk witing and get the correct harnesses they are not that much money and you will save future time and trouble.
Mike, that is the wiring diagram that I've been using. I think it is for a 6v positive ground setup?? Notice that the negative terminal is connected to the starter. I know the truck was originally positive ground but what I need to determine is whether or not it has been switched to negative ground. We've been using it as negative ground and have been able to start the engine and keep it running with no problem.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm will help you with the polarity to the coil and plugs.

I just thought it was strange that the fuses (see pic) were in-line with the negative grounds.

You can use the diagram for either 6v or 12 v. You can also still use the wiring diagram with pos or negative ground as the only thing labled Pos and Neg is the battery. If you take the wiring to the amp meter literaly it has to be switched as well.

You can use it for the "standard" one wire Alt also as the wiring to the cut out or the one wire post on the alt is the same.

Also, there is/was no 12v+ going to the switch. On a 12v+ negative ground system, which power line needs to go to the switch? Currently the yellow wire that is suppose to go to the switch from the relay is actually running to the alternator.

Use the new harness and the diagram and you cant go wrong.

If this is a 12v+ negative ground system, is it safe to run 12v+ to the old steering column switch?

The 12 volts is actually kinder on the wires then the 6 volt, with the 12 volt there is less current than with the 6 volt.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #36
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Thanks guys. Worked on the a all day yesterday. The carb was leaking out of the bowl so my dad made a new gasket. Put it back together and the leak stopped but then the carb was puking large amounts of fuel while the engine was cranked. Took the carb back off and noticed the float was not making contact with the needle. Fortunately we have 2 extra carbs. We swapped floats with a good one and also cleaned all of the other internal parts. Put the carb back on and she started right up and ran great! We wanted to change the oil so I climbed under and removed the drain bolt. The sludge was so thick that the oil would not even drain out. After a couple minutes a very little amount was hanging out of the hole. It reminded me of a soft serve ice cream machine, chocolate flavor.

Time to drop the pan. Very easy. I think it took about 5 minutes. We had about 4 quarts of oil and one quart of sludge. It was discusting. Now we have that nice and clean. I have to order a new gasket.

After that we decided to work on the wiring. I determined that whoever did the 12 v conversion/rewire never actually finished because there was no way for any of the light or horn to receive power. The previous owner must have rriven it around with no lights! I have a plan to fix everything.

So we made a lot of progress. Couple more days should do It. where is the best place to buy a pan gasket? Thank, Matt
Matt, pan gaskets I found come in two different kinds. The old cork ones and the newer kind that I am not sure what they are made of. I think it is a plastic of some kind. I don't have a lot of experience with gaskets but I prefer the cork ones. They seem to stay in place better.

You can get gaskets from just about any of the vendors and I think most of them carry both kinds of gaskets. Bratton's, Mac's, Bert's and others.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #37
matt92vr4

Thanks guys, new oil pan gasket ordered from MAC's along with some fabric wire loom, moto-meter, and dash light
Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #38
QGolden

I envy you Matt, I lost my Dad this year, and his last 4 or 5 years were pretty dysfunctional for him. Enjoy every minute with this new adventure.

Quinn

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #39
matt92vr4

Dad and I worked on the A Saturday. We were able to get all of the electrical 100% functional! It's very cool to have the lights and horn all working on the original switches.

The old owner must have been driving around with no lights! The main switch did not have any power, and the tails were run to the stop light switch. It's nice to be able to get things straightened out. New oil pan gasket arrives tomorrow with the other goodies. If everything goes well we might be driving this thing around by the weekend. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #40
matt92vr4

Good news! Worked on the A today. We put the oil pan back on, finished up some wiring, and installed the motometer. My dad took her for a spin around the block! Transmission and clutch work fine.

He broke down once because the old fuel collector got plugged up. Also on the trip the lights and horn stopped working. I'm getting those worked out and should be ready soon. My dad had a big smile on his face
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Way to go!!! I get over on that side of the state every once in a while and would love to see you two and the car in person.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #42
van Dyck

If you are going to stay with the negative ground electrical system, make sure the "-" side of the coil primary is electrically connected to the distributor breaker points. If the "+" side is connected to the breaker points, the engine will run, but you will lose 40% of the potential secondary voltage to fire the spark plugs.
It takes less than a minute to check!
van Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #43
George, Iowa

Make sure to write down the history of the car. Revisit the person you bought it from and get all the stories about that car that he can remember.
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
TomW

FYI...On 1/27/13 is the 44th annual Kaiser-Devereaux Collector Car Meet at the Venice Airport. There were over 1500 vehicles of every sort last year, including many A's. It's a free gathering with no judging - just a lot of fun! Hope to see you there!
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #45
matt92vr4

Wow that's great! We will be there. It's only 5 minutes from our house. The A is in pretty good condition but no where near show quality. Are there "work in progress" cars showing or should we wait to bring it out until it's finished?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #46
matt92vr4

Latest update. I drove the A for the first time today (my dad drove it last week). It was fun and a little scary. Do they all shake like that lol? It's now at the point where I can start it and drive around the neighborhood. Unfortunately there is still junk in the gas tank and every once in awhile the line get plugged. I have to disconnect the line and blow through it to free the tank. We've had the tank off once already and cleaned it out. Apparently not good enough. What is the best way to clean a tank? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #47
Jazzjr

Matt build what you see in the photo. I also have a Glass Sediment Bowl on the Fire Wall. Every once in a while, shut off the Valve and drain the Rust and scale out of the Sump by removing the Drain Plug.

Last edited by Jazzjr; 01-20-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #48
Tom Wesenberg

I'd use about 3 gallons of gas and remove the tank valve so it can drain quickly. Rock the car back and forth while it's draining into a bucket with a cloth on top to filter out the junk. Repeat several times, then install the small filter in the shut off valve on the bottom of the tank. You'll still get fine junk in the sediment bowl, but that is easily drained, and should continue to get better with each tank of gas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #49
ctlikon0712

Hey, my dad put a large steel marble about the size of a golf ball in the tank. As you drive around it rolls and pulverizes anything that can cause a blockage. His cars never had problems and they would often sit awhile. Anyone else heard of this?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #50
Al 29Tudor

Hi Matt,
I'm planning to be at the Kaiser & Deverou show also - I'll look for you.
Al - brown 29 Tudor.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #51
Smurkey

From BRATTONS.COM:

FUEL TANK FILTER SCREEN
For Year(s): 28-31

Stainless steel screen inserted at bottom of gas tank at the shut-off valve. Prevents rust in tank from entering gas line. Instructions included.

Part #13280

Install one of these and the fuel problem will go away. It did for me!

Last edited by Smurkey; 01-20-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added website
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
TDO

Looks as thou you found a great deal , have fun with it , and that was a real good price on it.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #53
FirstA

Matt,
Welcome to the Model A world. I am new to the Model A hobby myself and am restoring a 29 pickup. All of my help comes from reading, the Ford Barn and a couple far away friends. Thats great having you dad there to help. Richard
FirstA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #54
matt92vr4

Joe, thank you so much for the call and offer to drive up to see me today. One of these days it will work out!

Al, I plan to be at the show next week in Venice. Probably not in the A though. I'll have to find you.

We had the tank out last month and cleaned it at least 20 times with chemicals ranging from hot water to acid. It is much better than it was but I have a feeling that there are a few big chunks blocking the hole that leads out of the firewall. When the line get blocked I blow through the sediment bowl and up into the tank. One swift blow and it clears up for about 5 minutes and then the big chunk makes it's way back down. Smurkey thanks for the advice. I just ordered two of them. I think this might work.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #55
Fred K-OR

The filters that Smurkey recommended do work well. But you may want to also, suggested in one of the posts above, to install a glass settlement bowl on the inside of the firewall (if you do not have it already) where the metal bulb is now. Don't throw away your metal bulb (you may want to put it back on later) but the glass bowl will show you how much stuff you still have coming through in your gas.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #56
caveman3094

Im suprised nobody has mentioned this yet but snyders antique auto has just about anything you could imagine. Ive gotten all my stuff from them. Their prices seem reasonable and the shipping is quick.
Congrats on the find to looks like ya made out pretty good. Enjoy it and have fun, thats almost impossible not to do with classics like these.
caveman3094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #57
matt92vr4

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I received my Bratton's order yesterday. Last night I installed the in-tank filter (see pic below), Fixed the stuck gas gauge, removed and clean all fuel lines and gizmos between the tank and carb. I also ordered an air filter to fit onto the carb as our did not have any protection their.

I hooked up the fuel lines, turned on the valve, put the spark lever up, turn key on, turned GAV 1/2 turn, pulled choke, and she started right up and purred like a 84 year old grumpy kitten. I swear this thing reminds me of a 2 seater airplane.

Tonight I need to rebuild the carb. I think the bowl is filling up too high. After that it should be all set.

I've let it sit with the battery on for the past 3 days and there has been no reduction in the battery voltage. Still reads 12.5v. I'm still not 100% convinced that the alternator is working correctly though. I may need to find a solution for this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA Tank Filter.jpg (23.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #58
matt92vr4

Cleaned and rebuilt the ole Zenith last night. It was a little dirty inside. The GAV was plugged up but the float was working properly.

I really need to do a compression test but I don't have the adapter for the large spark plug holes.

I think I'll start it up tonight and see how she goes. Maybe I can drive it to the car show on Sunday. My dad is laid up with the flu.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #59
painterrick

ENJOY and when you get to know these Model A guy's and their knowledge,soak it up.My dad is in his 80s very model A wise.I try to absorb all of his wisdom that I can.zzz model A s are the best of fun
painterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #60
Jazzjr

Quote:
I really need to do a compression test but I don't have the adapter for the large spark plug holes.
Matt I have One, I'll bring it up and You can Use it. If I do come up Sunday to Venice, I'll call You. But It Looks Like we will be Going to the Swamp Buggy Races in Naples Sunday. Too Many Things Going on this Weekend.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #61
matt92vr4

Hi Joe, sounds good. We went to the car show today. It was very nice. We are planning to come see you in Ft Myers next weekend at the Ford house. Thanks for all of your help

Al, it was nice to meet you today. Sorry it was so brief! Your Model A is beautiful.

So, the truck is running great. I think I only have two problems left to fix before it is road worthy. Problem #1 is my homemade horn button likes to complete the circuit when turning the wheel. My neighbors don't like this very much when I'm pulling the truck in and out of the garage at night lol.

The second problem is that I found that the alternator FLD post is shorted out internally to ground. This in turn fried the external regulator and of course is not charging the battery. I think I'm going to break down and buy a new internal regulated 1 wire alternator and a new horn button tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #62
Jazzjr

Hi Matt, I bought this NEW Alternator off E-bay For a Good Price $53, Shipped fast $13, and Guaranteed 1 Year. But you need to change Pulley to accept Model A Belt, and I used a old Spring Shackles flat Plates, welded a piece of steel in the center to make the H Mounting Bracket. One hole has to be enlarged to 1/2 " to insert bolt to Front Cover.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHROME-6...item256fd4235d

· 100% NEW.
· OE Performance, Fit & Output.
· 12Volt, 65Amp, 1-Wire, Internally Regulated.
· Premium HD Rectifier and Regulator.
· Premium HD High-Temperature Bearings & Windings.
· Fits Any GM From 1965-1986.
· Universal Straight-Up Mounting Will Fit Many Other Applications.
· Billet Machined V-Pulley.
1-Year Replacement Warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !B7q!oWw!mk~$(KGrHqR,!k8Ey+jC)40SBM0z9z2kbQ~~_12.JPG (25.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 01-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #63
matt92vr4

Hi Joe, thanks for the tip. I have a new 12v 60 amp on it's way here

Today I decided that I was going to go out and change all of the fluids after work. I bought all new fluids on my lunch break. When I got home I put on my work clothes and headed out to the garage. That's when my night took and fun turn! I see a beautiful brown Tudor pull up in front of the house! It was Al1929Tudor! What a beautiful machine he has!

So I got to see how a Model A is suppose to look, run, and sound while Al got to see what a 1980's ghetto restore looks like lol. Al was nice enough to bring over his adapter for the compression tester. After listening to each others A's run, we both agreed that mine had a mis-fire. Compression results confirmed 73-73-70-0.

After a little research I found that my exhaust valve for the front cylinder was stuck open. I soaked it with PB Blaster and let is sit for awhile. Soaked it again and then tapped it with a "soft" screwdriver and a hammer. I'll be honest I had to tap it much harder than I liked. Finally it budged! Turned the engine over and it came back up stuck. Soaked it, tapped it, budged even further! Repeated this about 10 times and finally it was moving freely.

Buttoned everything back up and now the truck is REALLY running good. Compression went up to 63psi. A little low but I'm hoping it may come up a little more with time. What an exciting night. I can't wait to drive this thing now

Al, thank you so much for coming over tonight and all of your help.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #64
30coupeguy

Hi, I am also new to Model A ownership and to the Forum. You and your dad are in for a lot of enjoyment.

I did not know anything last August when I purchased my 30 coupe, but I did do two things right. I joined the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA) and I purchased their publication, the Model A Ford Mechanics handbook, Vol II, which is invaluable. Later, I also bought the previously mentioned Owners handbook that has been a big help to me in learning how to drive and maintain the car.
Good luck
Burt
30coupeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #65
Al 29Tudor

Matt,
Nice to finally meet you and see the truck. I've been watching your progress on the Barn and you've made a lot of progress. You'll be out driving very soon. But we will never be finished! Need to get Joe and start a local chapter. ha ha
See you soon,
Al
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #66
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I received my Bratton's order yesterday. Last night I installed the in-tank filter (see pic below), Fixed the stuck gas gauge, removed and clean all fuel lines and gizmos between the tank and carb. I also ordered an air filter to fit onto the carb as our did not have any protection their.

I hooked up the fuel lines, turned on the valve, put the spark lever up, turn key on, turned GAV 1/2 turn, pulled choke, and she started right up and purred like a 84 year old grumpy kitten. I swear this thing reminds me of a 2 seater airplane.

Tonight I need to rebuild the carb. I think the bowl is filling up too high. After that it should be all set.

I've let it sit with the battery on for the past 3 days and there has been no reduction in the battery voltage. Still reads 12.5v. I'm still not 100% convinced that the alternator is working correctly though. I may need to find a solution for this.
Yo, Matt, Dog here, THAT's it! THAT's it! That's the filter Bunglin' Bill's been harpin' about! EVERYONE needs one! Buster T.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #67
matt92vr4

Update 2/6/13:

Last night I installed the new one wire 12v alternator. She is charging like a champ! I also changed the motor oil, tranny fluid, and rear end fluid. Put in some MMO in the new oil and gas. She is almost road worthy!

I also bought a new horn button but it ended up being the wrong size. I started a new thread about this situation.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #68
matt92vr4

Late update for awhile 2/27/13

Was able to work on the A with my dad last night for 3 hours. Installed the new horn button, removed and cleaned a number of grounds, cleaned the vented gas cap, changed all of the fluids, messed around with a few other things. Drove it around the block again.

This weekend the A will make its first real drive in 20 years. 25 miles to my dad's house where he plans to sand it down and paint it black. Paint the wheels red and chrome the bumpers and radiator cover. He already blasted and painted the spare wheel red and it looks very nice. Wish me luck on the drive! I'll report back next week with the trip results lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #69
QGolden

Good on ya! Your experience with this A is exactly what old cars are about. Good luck on your Road Trip,! Stop somewhere and get an Ice Cream along the way, and post us a picture!

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #70
matt92vr4

Success! The A drove to its new home perfectly. Too cold for ice cream though thanks to everyone for your help getting this thing road worthy. We'll see you locals out and about after my dad gets done painting.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #71
dean from bozeman

Matt, I am a part time Fordbarner and I missed this story the first time around. This is one of the best threads that I have read in a while. From purchase to getting it roadworthy it was great to hear that you and your dad are working together on it.

One suggestion, to save you and your dad some money, don't chrome the radiator shell. Paint it black like Ford did.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #72
Al 29Tudor

Nice going Matt. You did a good job.
Sometime if you want to take a little road trip we can visit the truck in my "A". I'm always looking for an excuse to go for a ride.
Al
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #73
mhsprecher

This is a great thread and a great story. It is so cool that you are doing this with your dad. Wonderful and heartwarming.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
matt92vr4

Update 3/22/13

My dad installed new brakes on the front. We took it out for a drive yesterday and it stops much better. They seem to be dragging a bit though so he is going to make an adjustment.

He is also making some progress with the sanding and body work. Updated pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA Body Work.jpg (48.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #75
Christoph

Have fun with the car .
Share time with your Dad.
Be thankfull for every day.
Best regards
Christoph

Find a long-time-ago-pic of my 29 Dad in front of my 29 Tudor .
I do miss him so much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paps DSCN0925.jpg (79.3 KB, 23 views)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #76
John LaVoy

Welcome to the hobby. Get it running and get him a ride!
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #77
Forker

I envy you as well, lost my dad many years ago, but can't forget how fondly he spoke of his Model A every chance he got. It was what motivated me to buy one when I retired...would give anything to share the experience with him, if only for a day.

Upon the word getting around the family that I bought a Model A one of my relatives sent me the pic below of my dad's Model A...first I have ever seen, just had heard him speak about it whenever the discussion of cars came around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad's first car 1.jpg (77.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Forker; 03-27-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote