Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #61
matt92vr4

Default Re: New guy to the Barn - 1929 Model A

Hi Joe, sounds good. We went to the car show today. It was very nice. We are planning to come see you in Ft Myers next weekend at the Ford house. Thanks for all of your help

Al, it was nice to meet you today. Sorry it was so brief! Your Model A is beautiful.

So, the truck is running great. I think I only have two problems left to fix before it is road worthy. Problem #1 is my homemade horn button likes to complete the circuit when turning the wheel. My neighbors don't like this very much when I'm pulling the truck in and out of the garage at night lol.

The second problem is that I found that the alternator FLD post is shorted out internally to ground. This in turn fried the external regulator and of course is not charging the battery. I think I'm going to break down and buy a new internal regulated 1 wire alternator and a new horn button tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help!
matt92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #62
Jazzjr

Hi Matt, I bought this NEW Alternator off E-bay For a Good Price $53, Shipped fast $13, and Guaranteed 1 Year. But you need to change Pulley to accept Model A Belt, and I used a old Spring Shackles flat Plates, welded a piece of steel in the center to make the H Mounting Bracket. One hole has to be enlarged to 1/2 " to insert bolt to Front Cover.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHROME-6...item256fd4235d

· 100% NEW.
· OE Performance, Fit & Output.
· 12Volt, 65Amp, 1-Wire, Internally Regulated.
· Premium HD Rectifier and Regulator.
· Premium HD High-Temperature Bearings & Windings.
· Fits Any GM From 1965-1986.
· Universal Straight-Up Mounting Will Fit Many Other Applications.
· Billet Machined V-Pulley.
1-Year Replacement Warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !B7q!oWw!mk~$(KGrHqR,!k8Ey+jC)40SBM0z9z2kbQ~~_12.JPG (25.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 01-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #63
matt92vr4

Hi Joe, thanks for the tip. I have a new 12v 60 amp on it's way here

Today I decided that I was going to go out and change all of the fluids after work. I bought all new fluids on my lunch break. When I got home I put on my work clothes and headed out to the garage. That's when my night took and fun turn! I see a beautiful brown Tudor pull up in front of the house! It was Al1929Tudor! What a beautiful machine he has!

So I got to see how a Model A is suppose to look, run, and sound while Al got to see what a 1980's ghetto restore looks like lol. Al was nice enough to bring over his adapter for the compression tester. After listening to each others A's run, we both agreed that mine had a mis-fire. Compression results confirmed 73-73-70-0.

After a little research I found that my exhaust valve for the front cylinder was stuck open. I soaked it with PB Blaster and let is sit for awhile. Soaked it again and then tapped it with a "soft" screwdriver and a hammer. I'll be honest I had to tap it much harder than I liked. Finally it budged! Turned the engine over and it came back up stuck. Soaked it, tapped it, budged even further! Repeated this about 10 times and finally it was moving freely.

Buttoned everything back up and now the truck is REALLY running good. Compression went up to 63psi. A little low but I'm hoping it may come up a little more with time. What an exciting night. I can't wait to drive this thing now

Al, thank you so much for coming over tonight and all of your help.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #64
30coupeguy

Hi, I am also new to Model A ownership and to the Forum. You and your dad are in for a lot of enjoyment.

I did not know anything last August when I purchased my 30 coupe, but I did do two things right. I joined the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA) and I purchased their publication, the Model A Ford Mechanics handbook, Vol II, which is invaluable. Later, I also bought the previously mentioned Owners handbook that has been a big help to me in learning how to drive and maintain the car.
Good luck
Burt
30coupeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #65
Al 29Tudor

Matt,
Nice to finally meet you and see the truck. I've been watching your progress on the Barn and you've made a lot of progress. You'll be out driving very soon. But we will never be finished! Need to get Joe and start a local chapter. ha ha
See you soon,
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #66
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92vr4 View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I received my Bratton's order yesterday. Last night I installed the in-tank filter (see pic below), Fixed the stuck gas gauge, removed and clean all fuel lines and gizmos between the tank and carb. I also ordered an air filter to fit onto the carb as our did not have any protection their.

I hooked up the fuel lines, turned on the valve, put the spark lever up, turn key on, turned GAV 1/2 turn, pulled choke, and she started right up and purred like a 84 year old grumpy kitten. I swear this thing reminds me of a 2 seater airplane.

Tonight I need to rebuild the carb. I think the bowl is filling up too high. After that it should be all set.

I've let it sit with the battery on for the past 3 days and there has been no reduction in the battery voltage. Still reads 12.5v. I'm still not 100% convinced that the alternator is working correctly though. I may need to find a solution for this.
Yo, Matt, Dog here, THAT's it! THAT's it! That's the filter Bunglin' Bill's been harpin' about! EVERYONE needs one! Buster T.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #67
matt92vr4

Update 2/6/13:

Last night I installed the new one wire 12v alternator. She is charging like a champ! I also changed the motor oil, tranny fluid, and rear end fluid. Put in some MMO in the new oil and gas. She is almost road worthy!

I also bought a new horn button but it ended up being the wrong size. I started a new thread about this situation.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #68
matt92vr4

Late update for awhile 2/27/13

Was able to work on the A with my dad last night for 3 hours. Installed the new horn button, removed and cleaned a number of grounds, cleaned the vented gas cap, changed all of the fluids, messed around with a few other things. Drove it around the block again.

This weekend the A will make its first real drive in 20 years. 25 miles to my dad's house where he plans to sand it down and paint it black. Paint the wheels red and chrome the bumpers and radiator cover. He already blasted and painted the spare wheel red and it looks very nice. Wish me luck on the drive! I'll report back next week with the trip results lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #69
QGolden

Good on ya! Your experience with this A is exactly what old cars are about. Good luck on your Road Trip,! Stop somewhere and get an Ice Cream along the way, and post us a picture!

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #70
matt92vr4

Success! The A drove to its new home perfectly. Too cold for ice cream though thanks to everyone for your help getting this thing road worthy. We'll see you locals out and about after my dad gets done painting.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #71
dean from bozeman

Matt, I am a part time Fordbarner and I missed this story the first time around. This is one of the best threads that I have read in a while. From purchase to getting it roadworthy it was great to hear that you and your dad are working together on it.

One suggestion, to save you and your dad some money, don't chrome the radiator shell. Paint it black like Ford did.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #72
Al 29Tudor

Nice going Matt. You did a good job.
Sometime if you want to take a little road trip we can visit the truck in my "A". I'm always looking for an excuse to go for a ride.
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #73
mhsprecher

This is a great thread and a great story. It is so cool that you are doing this with your dad. Wonderful and heartwarming.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
matt92vr4

Update 3/22/13

My dad installed new brakes on the front. We took it out for a drive yesterday and it stops much better. They seem to be dragging a bit though so he is going to make an adjustment.

He is also making some progress with the sanding and body work. Updated pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA Body Work.jpg (48.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #75
Christoph

Have fun with the car .
Share time with your Dad.
Be thankfull for every day.
Best regards
Christoph

Find a long-time-ago-pic of my 29 Dad in front of my 29 Tudor .
I do miss him so much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paps DSCN0925.jpg (79.3 KB, 23 views)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #76
John LaVoy

Welcome to the hobby. Get it running and get him a ride!
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #77
Forker

I envy you as well, lost my dad many years ago, but can't forget how fondly he spoke of his Model A every chance he got. It was what motivated me to buy one when I retired...would give anything to share the experience with him, if only for a day.

Upon the word getting around the family that I bought a Model A one of my relatives sent me the pic below of my dad's Model A...first I have ever seen, just had heard him speak about it whenever the discussion of cars came around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad's first car 1.jpg (77.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Forker; 03-27-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote