Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
PO51

Default Rusted/stuck distributor

Need to replace the distributor, it is stuck in the head and I'm rusted to the head. Any sugestions on hoe to get it out? Would prefer not to have to take the head off at this time,
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
PO51

Default Re: Rusted/stuck distributor

The distributor is rusted to the head, not me!
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Milton

First remove the set screw and nut on the side of the head. Then commence to give it a liquid wrench or equal bath. After a day or so approach it with a large screw driver and jiggle it up and down. Do not use excessive force or hammer the driver to wedge it between the head and the distributor body because the body likes to break off the sleeve that is rusted in the head.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Ron/IA

PO51 - I had the same problem a few years back. I removed the locking stud and nut that holds the distributor in place. Then I built a small dam using putty around the distributor on top of the head so it would hold penetrating oil (I used PB Blaster), and let it soak for a couple days. I also put the same oil in the screw hole. While it was soaking I took some wooden shims (the type that are used to level and square windows when you are putting them in), and wedged them between the distributor and head to put upward pressure on the distributor. Be careful with this step, as the distributor can break with too much pressure.

Also, during the soaking process, I used a small butane torch (the kind that a butane bottle screws on) and repeatedly heated and cooled the area around the distributor to try a suck in the penetrating oil and to try and loosen the rust.

For me it was not a quick process; I spent a few weeks doing this (I didn't perform the process everyday) and it finally came loose.

Others may have better ideas.
Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I do as above, but the safest way to remove a stuck distributor is by using the tool the dealers sell. The tool pulls on the center shaft, so there is no chance of putting pressure on the larger cast body and breaking it at the shaft area.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

all of the above plus take your air powered needle scaler and aim it at the boss in the head and let'er rip, the vibration will help loosen it. when u put it back in be sure to coat the machined area of the distrib body with never seize since o/w it will rust up again, all A distribs like to seize up for some reason
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
jsilvestri

I did all of the above then pulled the head - and found out that it was so rusted in that it was a big effort to free it up even from the bottom side of the side!

Trying every "trick in the book" - 5 weeks.
Pulling the head and getting it out then putting things back together - 2 hours.

JCS
jsilvestri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Milton

Sometimes it is best to just "bite the bullet" and get it over with. Obviously your situation was beyond being tricked. Glad it all worked "out" and you still have a one piece distributor body.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote