Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Jim M

Question Way to remove rear wheel.

I have a spare rear end assembly that I am trying to get a wheel off to see if I can use the emergency brake plate. The wheel is stuck and I do not have a wheel puller. Called everyone I know who works on cars including a self employed mechanic and no one has one I could borrow. Is there any other removal trick or is there a way to make a "home made" puller that will work. I really don't want to ruin the wheel in case someone might be able to use it. Thanks, Jim M
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Way to remove rear wheel.

Are you trying to remove the wheel or brake drum??

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Jim M

Hi Bob, The brake drum. I found the answer - PB&P - Power Blaster and Patience!!!
I had started trying to remove it late yesterday by taping with a ball peen hammer and spraying. Tried again late morning and still nothing. Shortly after I posted the question I tried tapping again and saw just the smallest movement. Kept spraying, tapping, and applying the some pressure with a screw drive between drum and back plate. After about 15 minutes it started to move some more and I could also get about 1/4 " of rotation. I knew I had it then and it was just a matter of taking my time and not getting anxious and braking something. About 15 minutes later it finally came off. Hope this helps someone in the future. This is my first Model A and I am a novice but I actually LOVE working on it. When I first bought it some years ago I thought when I retired I would completely tear it down and restore it. But I have become quite attached to it while getting it running and have decided to do a complete break job (which I am working on right now), clean it up and give it a wax job, and enjoy driving it. It is a 1929 roadster with a rumble seat. Can't wait till next spring when I can take the grand kids for a ride. Thanks, Jim Moody
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
glenn in camino

before you start going for rides, especially with your grandkids, put seat belts in the front and also the rumble seat.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote