Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Car Pit

Default Brake shoe twist

As part of my rebuild I'm reviving my front mechanical brakes with a floating brake energizer kit from Mike's and a shiny new set of springs. After installing the new lower springs, the spring on the front shoe on one wheel gets really tight and twists the shoe outward so that its liner is no longer parallel to the hub. The rotation is bad enough that I have to force the hub to get it back on and it certainly doesn't turn freely, despite the brake wedge being all the way up.

I've already checked to make sure that the rollers on the bottom of the shoe are aligning correctly with the new plate and there is clearance, as it should, from the old track.

My first thought is that there is too much play in the connecting shaft between the shoe and the adjustment wedge. But asking that pin to apply enough torque to prevent twisting seems like a lot to ask of that remote part.

I tried more than one spring and oriented them a couple different ways with the same result.

Any ideas?
What additional info should I provide to help you give good advice?
Car Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: Brake shoe twist

do you have the top of the shoes pinned ?? do that before you put the springs on the bottom ............. steve
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Brake shoe twist

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The link (A2042) that goes into the adjusting wedge should be able to move up-down on the pin/shoe, but should not wobble, the pin for the rollers should fit tight in the shoe, but allow the rollers free movement.

The link should fit with a little up-down in the housing to allow for centering, but should be pretty tight in the in-out direction. ---the link has a somewhat oval form
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote