Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
c125bob

Default Newbee took the plunge.....

Picked up a nice 31 Deluxe Coupe today, my first Model A. It's running and driving and is a 20 footer as far as paint goes. Older restoration but still decent. Only problems (I've found so far) the brakes are out of adjustment and the water pump shaft is leaking. I can handle the brakes but this water pump shaft is new to me...... I have the spanner that fits but am holding off for some advice and instructions.

Only pictures I have are in my iphone and I don't have a clue how to post them here.

Bob
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Newbee took the plunge.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just tighten the gland nut tlll it stops dripping.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I had to add grease to the lead packing rings before the slow drip would stop. I haven't leaked a drop in the past 8 years and only snugged the packing nut once, about 3 years ago.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
glenn in camino

Squrit some, just a little, waterproof grease in the rear bushing and tighten the packing nut a little. I use stainless steel shafts and waterproof grease in all my waterpumps. I also use the lead rings instead of the rope style packing in the nut.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
c125bob

Thanks for the replies, I'll be messing with it later today. It appears to be pretty tight already from my one try to snug it up. It's dripping pretty steady and probably needs "something" in addition to tightening it up. I'll get some waterproof grease and give it a try. Thanks again......
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

You can pick out the old packing and buy new split lead packing rings to install. As I mentioned, be sure to add grease all around the lead rings when you install them. Doing it this way will not require pump removal, as long as the rear bushing and shaft are OK.

When I first rebuilt my water pump about 12 years ago I had about a drop of coolant every few minutes. I unscrewed the brass paacking nut and put grease on the lead rings and it hasn't leaked since, so be sure to grease the new lead rings. If the pump is apart you can buy full circle lead rings to use.

Graphite string is used for slow tuning shafts, like outside faucet handles, and shouldn't be used in water pumps.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Loyd Nix

I would strongly recommend Les Andrews books to any "newby". Some may disagree but just the illustrations are valuable.
Loyd Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
c125bob

Thanks for the help and I was looking for a good book(s) for reference. I restore antique tractors as a hobby and apparently wasn't getting enough pain and suffering so I got a Model A ! I love the car and have always wanted one. Again, thanks to all for the help. This forum seems to have a lot of good folks that are willing to help.

Bob
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by c125bob View Post
Thanks for the help and I was looking for a good book(s) for reference. I restore antique tractors as a hobby and apparently wasn't getting enough pain and suffering so I got a Model A ! I love the car and have always wanted one. Again, thanks to all for the help. This forum seems to have a lot of good folks that are willing to help.

Bob
Bob what kind of tractors? I have a Ford 8N and Cat D2. So guess both of us have a bit of pain.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
700rpm

I was told by an old mechanic to use water soluble grease on the rear fitting and water proof grease on the front, the reason being that the rear grease was likely to leak into the system and you wanted it to dissolve rather than get into the cooling system and clog up the radiator. So I always did it that way till I got my new leakless pumps.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
c125bob

Fred,

I do Oliver and Case, my favorite is a 1947 Oliver 60 Row Crop. Next favorite is a 1949 Case VAC. I've held onto these two and they are both in great shape. I restored a 1965 Case 430 diesel that I use alot. The other three are "show and parade queens". I also have a 60's Wheelhorse that is complete and good. Other tractors have come and gone and three more are in various stages of completion. Everybody around here has John Deere, Ford, IHC and AC. I like having something different.

The Model A bug bit me years ago and I fought it as long as I could. There are a few at our tractor shows and I just couldn't fight it any longer !

Bob
Old 08-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
c125bob

Ray,

I've only been a Model A owner for a couple of days but I see a leakless pump on the horizon. I plan to drive the coupe a good bit and unless I can stop the flood I'll be swapping out the pump !

The list grows............