Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Sad steering column experience I had

I kind of hate to post this message as it may sound like I am expressing sour grapes. I have had a very bad experience with an individual involving steering column rebuilding. I hope in posting this message I can save another model A person(s) from getting cheated by this dishonest person. I want to expose this person so Fordbarners don’t have the same problems I have had. This is a rather long message, so some of you may not care to read the whole message.

I needed two 7 tooth steering columns rebuilt. I was a little apprehensive doing it myself, as I had never rebuilt one before. I had noticed a person on eBay with the user name Drew_Magoo that had listed and sold several columns over the past year or two and had a 100% feedback rating. I decided to contact him about rebuilding my two columns. His real name is Gordon Peterson, Fountain Valley, CA. I sent him an email asking if he rebuilt 7 tooth steering columns for individuals. He said yes, he did. I called him up a couple of times after that and we talked about rebuilding my columns. He was helpful and friendly on the phone initially. During the conversations, he stated the cost would be about $100 in labor per column and about $200 to $250 for parts depending on what parts were needed. I told him that sounded fair, but told him I had nearly all of the parts necessary to rebuild the columns, new sectors, new worm gears, new lower steering gear housing bushings, replated spark and gas control rods, sandblasted steering column housing and virtually all the bearings, gaskets, etc (see pictures below of all the parts I sent him). I was going to rebuild the columns myself, but decide I would have a “professional” do it instead, making sure they were rebuilt correctly, with little play in the gears. I ask Gordon if he could use my parts (new and used) and he said no problem.

I build a wooden box as Gordon advised and packed two complete steering columns and two additional steering shafts in it (for him to pick the best of the four worm/shafts). I also gathered pretty much all my other new and good used steering items and mailed them in a USPS flat rate box and shipped them to Gordon. This was back in October 2011. I told him I was in no big rush, as I didn’t need them for a couple of months.

I waited for him to email or call me when they were done. I had told him I didn’t need them soon, so take his time and do them right. I did need them in early February, so I wasn’t concerned he didn’t notify me until then. He never did call me saying they were done. In early February, I called him 3 or 4 times and left messages, but never got a return call. I then emailed him, asking him if the columns were done. I got an email back from him shortly stating they were done and the cost was $700 plus $100 shipping. I was stunned, as I supplied virtually all the parts for the rebuilding and expected to pay him $200 to $250 in labor and maybe a little more if a few additional low cost parts were needed. I politely emailed him back (after trying to call him again with no response) asking him why the cost was so high compared to what he had told me on the phone in October and in an email (I still have the email) and what he had done in the restorations. He quickly emailed me back with a terse message saying he doesn’t negotiate prices and wouldn’t tell me what parts he used or what work he did on the columns in restoring them. Does this sound like an honest person – not so much!

At this point I was getting nervous as to what to do. He had my columns and demanded $800 or he wouldn’t return them. No explanation at all – just send him $800, period or I don’t get them back. I decided to pay him his extortion money to get my hostages (columns) back. I also politely ask him to return all the parts he did not use in the rebuilding (the extra parts were worth a considerable amount of money). I sent him many more parts than could be used on two columns, so he could pick and choose the ones he wanted to use in the rebuilding process. I received the two steering columns Tuesday, March 13. He did a very shoddy job rebuilding them. Among other things, he used mismatched fasteners (bolts), installed misaligned screws in the top spark/gas upper plate (screw heads partially sticking out), spark/gas control rod arms holes redrilled incorrectly and he used broken and incorrect grease zerks (and who know what is inside the columns – good, bad, who knows??). For all I know he could have used my used sectors and worm gears instead of the new ones I sent him and kept the new ones for himself. Some of the problems (like the zerks) aren’t a big problem to fix. At $700 for the two rebuilds, I expected a professional rebuilding job. The job was amateurish, to say the least. I was definitely not at all satisfied, but what could I do? I will need to disassemble the two columns in order to see how many problems he caused inside that can’t be seen without taking them apart, basically rebuilding them a second time.

The last part is what really upset me. I emailed him again (since phone calls don’t seem to work with him – as he must have caller ID and wont answer - and wont return recorded messages I left) after receiving the columns. I politely ask again, for the third time, for him to please send me back the extra parts I sent him that he didn’t use in rebuilding the two columns. I haven’t heard anything from him and don’t expect I ever will. The parts are probably worth $200 to $300. This is in addition to the $700 he extorted form me to get my own parts back in the rebuilt columns. It is too late to do anything about the shoddy column rebuilding, but I would like to get my parts returned.

Gordon Peterson of Fountain Valley, California (Drew_Magoo on eBay) is shyster and a crook. I suspect he uses Drew_Magoo on eBay, as he is ashamed to use his real name. I don’t know what can be done about a person that behaves like he does. I live in Minnesota, so it is difficult to deal with a person in California. I didn’t mention earlier the shipping cost was $100 each way, but I did know that going into the rebuilding process. I wish I had never contacted Gordon Peterson, as he is a crook. I have only had dealing with a couple of dishonest model A people in the 6 or 7 years I have been restoring my models A’ and Gordon is the worst one ever.

If Gordon Peterson frequents Fordbarn, he may try to retaliate to this message with a feeble rebuttal, so if he does, take it for what it is worth (not much). If anyone has a way to try to make Gordon return my parts, please let me know. All together he has taken me for over $1000, which isn’t chump change.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Sad steering column experience I had

Have your attorney write him a letter.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
lfg

I agree with 700rpm.
lfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
wrndln

The problem with an attorney is the fee would probably be more than what I am out. I would get a little satisfaction knowing Gordon Peterson wouldn't get a way with his scam.
Rusty Nelson
Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Airsho93

Sorry to hear about this. You should have had 2 excellent columns returned to you. What you sent him looks very nice. I think I will start asking on this forum who can do a credible rebuild or has good parts. Again sorry for your misfortune. Thanks for the heads up.
Airsho93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
bogiediver

Perhaps there's an attorney on the Barn that would help a fellow Barner...???
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Try contacting the atty general or calif nust have a dept of consumer affairs.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
juke joint johnny

What a crumb he is !!!! Lets hope naming him on this forum will get a positive result for you .
Don't let this experience spoil your hobby
John
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Try contacting the atty general or calif nust have a dept of consumer affairs.
Paul in CT
Don't count on that in California. Don't ask me how I know that.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
al's28/33

Sorry to hear about your trouble. There are unfortunately many crooks out there ready to take our money, buyer beware!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
BillLee/Chandler, TX

I, too, am one of his eBay customers. I bought a rebuilt 2-tooth from him back in 2007. It arrived in a very poorly built box that only kept the column from escaping because the throttle lever was hung up inside. The bottom was gone. This is how the box looked when received

After taking off one side of the box. Note the tape-wrapped throttle lever and the slot cut in the 2x4:

The throttle lever stuck in the slot was all that kept the whole assembly from sliding out the bottom of the box:

The throttle lever was bent as was the indented metal underneath where it rides.

The steering box was packed solid with axle grease, the lower bearing was defective, and the sector shaft leaked so bad that it never would hold oil properly. But then, when packed full of grease, it didn't leak.

This past winter project included installing a sector shaft lip seal and finally adjusting it properly.

I echo the sentiments stated above: avoid doing business with Gordon Petersen, Fountain Valley, CA

Edit to add: I did send him an e-mail (back in 2007) with the same pictures as presented here about the shoddy packaging. He apologized and said he would try harder. Wow! I was impressed! NOT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0949A.jpg (115.7 KB, 1224 views)
File Type: jpg dscn0953A.jpg (106.4 KB, 1215 views)
File Type: jpg dscn0959A.jpg (47.0 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: jpg dscn0960A.jpg (69.8 KB, 1216 views)

Last edited by BillLee/Chandler, TX; 03-16-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Straighten up photos insertion. correct spelling, add a bit more content
BillLee/Chandler, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Dave in Boise

My 2 cents on working with folks like this in the past

Send him an email. Politely worded but direct.

State that according to the verbal contract you had on day 'X' his quote to you was 'Y'

Include a timeframe of all attempts to contact him, both email and phone
Include a listing of parts you provided, as well as a summation of the parts that would be required to rebuild the units. Subtract the 2 to show how many of what parts he owes you. Include the pictures you have here in this thread as wel as a market calue on the items in packages and 1/2 market value of items unwrapped as they are used

Be very clear in your demands.
1) Parts Returned postage paid or the appropriate value of the parts not used
2) difference in his charges to you returned *or* or a reciept/build list showing his labor and parts breakdown of what he did.

He may be honest or not. At this will give both of you an even field to attempt an agreement

If the reciept is padded with 'new' parts you do not have in the columns, you know his charachter and intent. If his reciept shows machining or some other difficult, time consuming or expensive process that is verifiable on closer inspection of your items,then you know more about his work and charachter.

Give the benefit of the doubt. He could have had some personal tragedy or crisis causing his manner or actions. Alow him to save face.

Let him know that a certified letter containing a copy of your complaint will be mailed to him in 10 days, and that you will send copies to the organizations on the list below

The lower section fo your email to indicate that you are going to CC:

Minnesota Department Of Consumer Affairs
Minnesota Attourney General
USPS Postal Inspector
California Department of Consumer Affairs
California Attourney General
Ebay - As you used his reputation as a referral
Paypal - if you use dpaypal, or your bank if you wrote him a check. However the $ changed hands
The BBB in his home town
Sherrifs Department in his home town

Take the complaint to his front porch, but above all, be polite, clear and respectful.

You seem pretty level headed in your post.

- Good luck~
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Dave in Boise

Well, it seems Bill has had poor results with him before.. Wish I had seen that before assuming maybe this was a good guy in a bad spot..
Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

If you worked with this guy though EBay, don't they have some kind of "insurance" thing that will get you some kind of a settlement from him?? Don't know for sure about this and it may be hard to work with EBay on something like this.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Dave in Boise

Hmm.. looks like this guy has a rebuilt transmission with 'nos' or top quality original gears.. Not sure I'd call the 1st&reverse gear either with all that pitting on the gear tooth faces..Once that case hardening is breached on a gear, it's like a pot hole in the road, the pits just get bigger as the oil and wear is forced into the pits..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Orig...item19ce72f271

*sigh*

It is a buyer beware world I suppose, unless I am all wet looking at the pics from the auction..

- Dave
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
d.j. moordigian

Rusty,

Do you have any photos,....especially the inside?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
If you worked with this guy though EBay, don't they have some kind of "insurance" thing that will get you some kind of a settlement from him?? Don't know for sure about this and it may be hard to work with EBay on something like this.
Perhaps there is. But 5 years ago I didn't snap to the need. I know better now.

Once burned, not twice with the infamous Mr. Petersen
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
d.j. moordigian

Bill,

I like the " Rugged shipping box "......from his add!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
asapguy

Rusty, very sorry to read about your steering column experience. Hopefully someone in his area knows him & will put some pressure on him to do the right thing. The downside is a guy like this probably doesn't have any friends. I do hope you get some type of restitution. Hope you are having better luck with your headliner from your last e-mail sounds like thing were looking up at least with the upholstery. Perry
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
ursus

I had my own such experience with this clown and cannot understand how he ends up with such a good rating on flea-bay. Note that he is always selling "rebuilt" transmissions using the same picture (red rag next to transmission) for all of them. The transmission you get will be nothing like the one pictured and will probably arrive damaged because of negligent packaging. There will be a couple new bearings and the hidden ones will be recycled junk. If you complain, he will respond with some evasive nonsense about how he is just a fellow hobbyist who isn't in it for the money, etc, etc. Don't ask me how I know! After this flaming on Fordbarn, he will probably change his E-bay moniker to something other than "Drew_Magoo".

Like you, I learned a lesson with this jerk. Unfortunately, you could have learned a different and much more gratifying lesson by doing the work yourself. You had carefully accumulated the parts and seem like a capable and conscientious restorer. There is plenty of great help here on Fordbarn if you get into a bind or have a question. One other lesson I learned is do more of the work myself rather than turn it over to self-described schmexperts that will convert your restorables to junk. Try it yourself - you will have more satisfaction and sleep better.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
CRguy

Threads like this are very helpful to the rest of us that might be needing work done by someone. I have used the search feature on this forum to learn a lot without having to start a new thread everytime I have a question. This thread will be there in the future if I'm thinking about having a steering column rebuilt.
CRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
TerryH

Very sorry to hear about your experience with this "clown". I have used eBay in the past for a variety of things, always with good results or luck. One feature of eBay is the feedback rating.....as bad as his guy is, what is his rating like? Unfortunately, he probably changes his "name" frequently to avoid the bad feedback ratings. I am almost ashamed to admit that I live in Fountain Valley....it is a nice, quiet small community. I tried looking up his name in the local phone book, and guess what.....not listed. I am not surprised........he probably does not want people to know where he lives. I was curious to drive by and see what his place looked like..........probably not too impressive!
If you don't mind, post his address so I can do a drive by..............

Terry

Last edited by TerryH; 03-15-2012 at 10:52 PM.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
wrndln

Gordon Peterson's address is:

Gordon Petersen
17607 Oak Street
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

Phone number: 714 273 2573

Email:
[email protected]

I will need to disassemble the two columns to see what he did and didn't do. I suspect I will find used sectors and worm gears in the two columns. Just from looking at the columns from the outside, with all the problems I noticed, I can't believe the inside items will be correct. Of course looking back, I should have done the work myself (learned how to rebuild the columns correctly), like I have done on almost all the other tasks in restoring on my 28 special coupe. It seems hindsight is much better than foresight!

Thanks for the support from all you fellow Fordbarners. It is nice to have a forum to get advice and support on problems like this. It sounds like a few other people have been scammed by him, but hopefully anyone reading this string will not be stung by him in the future. At least some good might come from this unfortunate situation. I just can't understand his 100% feedback rating on eBay. If his feedback would have been lower, even by a percent or two, I wouldn't have dealt with him. BTW, eBay was not involved in the situation, I just contacted him, unfortunately, via an eBay listing he had on eBay. Luckily, 99.9% of model Aer are honest people, I was just unlucky to have found one of the very few that aren't.
Rusty Nelson
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
james hitchcock

I wonder how someone such as he sleeps at night. All I can say is what goes round comes round.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
Gary Karr

A Google map search of his address and a close up street view will get you a picture of him working in his driveway. Too bad his back is to the camera so we can't identify him.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
700rpm

Rusty, ask your attorney how much he or she would charge to write a letter. My attorney usually charges about $200. If it were me, I'd do it. I've never had any luck with postal inspectors or state attorneys general. But a letter from an attorney gets attention. Maybe there's a lawyer who would do it on commission or even pro bono. Don't let this thief off lightly. Burn him down.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

How did you pay for it? Stop the check, cancel the card!!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #28
Richard/Ca

Hi wrndin! Sorry to read about your situation I had same type of scumbag rip me good but with my whole car. I would do what Dave in Boise suggested and Work up a real good case get some letters from the other FordBarners that were riped off by him and take him to Small claims court in your state. Most States if the defendant does not show up you win. But then you have to get the money yourself. Good Luck Richard/Ca. PS maybe he is making some more fantastic shipping boxes.

Last edited by Richard/Ca; 03-16-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #29
BrianBurkert

We have a specialty wood business and we deal locally only. Aside from having a website telling people what we have, we do no Internet transactions. I think it really pays to use personal references (from friends and colleagues) to decide where to buy and where to have work done, even if you think you are paying a few bucks more. References and face-to-face interaction seem to work well for both buyers and sellers.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
gweilbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
It appears he is busy restoring steering columns - NOT!

Maybe making somebody the SHAFT
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #31
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Gordon Peterson's address is:

Gordon Petersen
17607 Oak Street
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

Phone number: 714 273 2573

Email: [email protected]

I will need to disassemble the two columns to see what he did and didn't do. I suspect I will find used sectors and worm gears in the two columns. Just from looking at the columns from the outside, with all the problems I noticed, I can't believe the inside items will be correct. Of course looking back, I should have done the work myself (learned how to rebuild the columns correctly), like I have done on almost all the other tasks in restoring on my 28 special coupe. It seems hindsight is much better than foresight!

Thanks for the support from all you fellow Fordbarners. It is nice to have a forum to get advice and support on problems like this. It sounds like a few other people have been scammed by him, but hopefully anyone reading this string will not be stung by him in the future. At least some good might come from this unfortunate situation. I just can't understand his 100% feedback rating on eBay. If his feedback would have been lower, even by a percent or two, I wouldn't have dealt with him. BTW, eBay was not involved in the situation, I just contacted him, unfortunately, via an eBay listing he had on eBay. Luckily, 99.9% of model Aer are honest people, I was just unlucky to have found one of the very few that aren't.
Rusty Nelson
Sorry you had to go through this Rusty but THANK YOU for posting the problem!

I wonder if he was or is giving himself the good reviews?

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 03-16-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
Buz

That whole deal stinks. But the thing to remember is that there are lots of Model A Folks out there who will help you, that's what this forum is for. I bet there are people on here who would help you rebuild those columns for free, that's what a hobby is all about. If you were closer I certainly would have been happy to help you go through those columns. I've had plenty of free help working on these cars over the years and I also always try to help out whenever I can.
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #33
Rusty Homestead Fl

I wonder if a mail barrage from Ford Barn members to his Email address would do any good. At least he'd know we know what a bucket of scum he is. Sure, he would change his email address but any inconvenience to him is justified. I know this was done outside of Ebay but is there a way to post on his Ebay auctions to warn others? What a turd.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
RonC

Here's another column he sold. He offers a full refund if not satisfied

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110807416253
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
d.j. moordigian

This has no bearing on this mess, but, it looks like he is cutting tile? Is he a tile
guy.....
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Here's another column he sold. He offers a full refund if not satisfied

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110807416253
...probably full of Rusty's new parts.
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #37
wrndln

Update to the Gordon Peterson problem.
I decided to dismantle one of the columns to see what damage he had done inside. I am posting pictures of what I found - not good. First on the outside, he didn't install the two spark/gas plate screws correctly (protruding and misaligned), the bottom bolts were mismatched (not a big deal), the grease plugs were wrong and broken and he drilled new holes on the lower end of the spark and gas rods (I can hardly move the rods the spring are so compressed – why??). On the inside, the two ball bearings were used, not new (I sent him 4 new ones), the sector was used (I sent him two new ones), the worm gear is used (again I sent him two new ones), the lower shaft bushing above the worm gear was not replaced with one the two new ones I sent him, homemade side plate gasket with no sealer on it, and other minor problems with the column. Terrible rebuilding job. I have pasted in a bunch of pictures showing some of the problems. I am sure the second column has the same problems (or more) as the first one. What a craftsman, he should be real proud of himself!
Rusty Nelson

Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
Purdy Swoft

If a credit card was used for payment and too much time hasn't elapsed, this will be your best recourse to recover your money. I would think that the parts sent will be a total loss. A letter sent by an attorney would most likely be ignored and threw in the trash. In most cases the attorney general or district attorney will only be interested in high profile cases and will be of no help. If you went to the expense of retaining a lawyer and could get the case on the docket, even if you won a judgement against the creep, he probably would never pay and nothing would be done to force his hand. Being out of state would be to your disadvantage, creeps like this guy can usually get the case put off ,if he hires an attorney. It would be expensive and time consuming having to show up in court, only to have the case postponed. If you went to his house and ended up having to open up a can of whupass, this would end up costing mega bucks and may land you in jail or worse, prison. If you used Pay Pal or a credit card this is about your best chance of recovering the money but will still be a pain and there is NO guarantee of recovery. Thanks for exposing this person, I have seen him on eBay before and will be sure to never deal with him. Sorry for the misfortune.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #39
1931 flamingo

I would contact paypal and file a complaint even though you did not purchase online and/or next time something for sale by him on ebay cheap, buy it and then leave negative feedback. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #40
wrndln

I paid with a check as he wouldn't take a credit card (I think you know why). He waited 2 1/2 weeks to ship the columns after the check cleared my bank (I also wonder why!), probably to insure I couldn't cancel the check. I am sure he has pulled this scam many times. Sorry to keep posting my stuff, but that is about all I can do. I am just thankful that I didn't buy an (rebuilt engine from him and I use the term loosely) engine he has periodically listed on eBay. I guess it could have been worse.
Rusty Nelson
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #41
Tom Wesenberg

A friend of mine was got took by someone out of state. He ran an ebay item for sale for one cent then in the description he stated the part wasn't really for sale buy he wanted to warn people about this scammer. You could advertise a rebuilt steering column for sale and do the same thing, but I suppose ebay would get wind of it and pull the listing right away.

So it looks like this scum took all your good parts, plus $1000, and send you used junk. Sorry that you got took 3 ways, but as mentioned there is probably little hope of any recourse or restitution. Where is the maffia when you need them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #42
Milton

Tom, you might be onto something. If wrndln was to post an A column for sale for $1000 and in the description he could say "just shabbily rebuild by so-and-so with all worn out used parts instead of the new parts I sent etc." No bad words, just a heaping dose of sarcasm explaining what a ripoff this guy is.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #43
Steve Wastler

If I lived near him, I'd be happy to give him an old fashioned 'blanket party' and beat him senseless with one of them 'rebuilt' columns!!!!!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #44
james hitchcock

Can't you contact the local police dept. I mean he has got over 300 dollars worth of parts that he's virtually absconded. I consider this thievery. I'm sure local police frown on this type of behavior.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #45
james hitchcock

Jeff , I would still give it a try. I'm sure the police already know of this guys reputation. I would also send the police the photos of all the parts sent. I know I'm grasping at straws. It just drives me crazy that a person like this gets away with such things.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #46
700rpm

And yet he has a 100% positive rating. Didn't you give him negative feedback?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #47
Keith True

Ray,he didn't buy anything through ebay.He just mentioned he was an ebay seller so others could ID him.Myself,I have no problem driving 1500 miles to straighten out a problem.As my grandfather said,we don't call cops,people call em on us.Somehow I've always managed to work things out without a problem.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #48
Gary Karr

Isn't there anyone in the Orange County or LA County area that know this guy? Dosen't he belong to any of the area clubs? Rusty, if he was here in San Diego, I would certainly pay him a visit on your behalf.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #49
James Rogers

Quote:
Update to the Gordon Peterson problem.
I decided to dismantle one of the columns to see what damage he had done inside. I am posting pictures of what I found - not good. First on the outside, he didn't install the two spark/gas plate screws correctly (protruding and misaligned), the bottom bolts were mismatched (not a big deal), the grease plugs were wrong and broken and he drilled new holes on the lower end of the spark and gas rods (I can hardly move the rods the spring are so compressed – why??). On the inside, the two ball bearings were used, not new (I sent him 4 new ones), the sector was used (I sent him two new ones), the worm gear is used (again I sent him two new ones), the lower shaft bushing above the worm gear was not replaced with one the two new ones I sent him, homemade side plate gasket with no sealer on it, and other minor problems with the column. Terrible rebuilding job. I have pasted in a bunch of pictures showing some of the problems. I am sure the second column has the same problems (or more) as the first one. What a craftsman, he should be real proud of himself!
Rusty Nelson

This guy is supposed to be a professional? What the hell are those grease fittings doing in the steering box and sector housing? I have never seen such krap!
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #50
Dave in Petaluma

Wow! I've waited a long time to see this thread. Several years ago this jerk listed a set of 21' wheels on eBay and then pulled the listing. I foolishly contacted him (possible at the time, not now) and bought them directly, via emails. When they arrived I was appalled to find them nothing at all like what had been listed. They were junk, and probably not even the wheels he described in his listing. When I contacted him he basically told me to suck an egg, knowing I had no recourse. I've thought many times about throwing them through his front window, but licked my wounds and chalked it up to experience instead.
Fortunately he is the exception in this hobby. I am sorry that he continues to find victims.
Dave in Petaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
wrndln

Gary Karr
I also wished I lived closer to him and he might have a visit from me - if you know what I mean.
Dave in Petaluma
Basically that is what he told me - tough luck and extortion. Fortunately having a venue like Fordbarn might possibly help others not have the same experience as we have had. Hopefully he will get what he deserves in the end.

I will have to purchase all new parts to do a real restore on my columns.
Rusty Nelson
Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #52
TerryH

Rusty--
Have you also posted this on AHOOGA? You should do that...many folks follow both, but a good number use one site or the other, so those might not see this warning....just a thought.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #53
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I paid with a check as he wouldn't take a credit card (I think you know why). He waited 2 1/2 weeks to ship the columns after the check cleared my bank (I also wonder why!), probably to insure I couldn't cancel the check. Rusty Nelson
CRAP sorry to hear that.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #54
callcoy

In California those individuals providing services to automobiles come under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Auto Repair (BAR) a division of the Calif. Dept. of Consumer Affairs. You can contact them via computer and/or obtain their phone number. Even though I live in Northern California and belong to our local club, I also belong to the Orange County club. I will contact a few of the members to see if they can help out somehow.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #55
RonC

a link to this thread on his ebay feedback would be great
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #56
Richard in Anaheim CA

Rusty,

I have been burned a couple of times in the past but not to the extent of $1000. I certainly wouldn't throw good money after bad by hiring an attorney. I'm sure this post will be most effective over time.

Terry's suggestion of posting on Ahooga is a good one. A link to this thread ton e-bay might be even better.

I have never heard of him. He is NOT a member of Orange Co Model A club and have not heard of his cheating us locals.

Good luck on getting some satisfaction in this matter and thanks for letting us know what lurks in the shadows of the hobby.

Richard Parrish
President of OCMAFC
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #57
james hitchcock

Yeah he doesn't cheat the locals. Smart guy, you don't poop where you eat.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #58
d.j. moordigian

He has 3 items on ebay right now for bid...

The transmission @ 300.00 has junk gears...look close, at the photos!

The bent spoke Kelsey's @ 300.00, 3 of the 4 wheels look bent, again the photos!

* http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Orig...item19ce72f271 *

James Hitchcock....Do you live too close for me to "cheat" you? LOL

Dudley
Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #59
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Ray,he didn't buy anything through ebay.He just mentioned he was an ebay seller so others could ID him.Myself,I have no problem driving 1500 miles to straighten out a problem.As my grandfather said,we don't call cops,people call em on us.Somehow I've always managed to work things out without a problem.
Right. Thanks Keith. I forgot abut that direct deal part. And I think your grandfather had the right attitude.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #60
james hitchcock

Dudley, I know if your a Ford Barner you'd never cheat me nor anyone else. I trust everyone from the central valley.
James.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #61
james hitchcock

I just sent Mr. Magoo a message through ebay telling him that I have decided not to ever bid on his items after seeing what type of person he is. Long story short I told him what I thought of him and his dealings.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #62
Kevin in Mass

Ditto,same here.
Kevin in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #63
1oldtimer

Now I'm going to have to drive by also.........I'm not sure making the local news is going to help your situation though.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #64
oldredford

If one does not have the experience or tooling I find just sending in your old unit as a core and exchange it for a rebuilt one. I did that with Mikes Affordable will good results.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #65
CRguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
a link to this thread on his ebay feedback would be great
The only way to do that would be to buy something from him first.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #66
cayager

i cant believe he has great feedback. im sure this isnt the first screw job he has given. im sure a few of these people have left feedback before realizing the crap they have gotten. ive left feedback before using some things ive bought.
cayager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #67
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
It appears he is busy restoring steering columns - NOT!

Let's not get carried away that this is an image of the perp! My guess, this that is a worker/crafsman working at (possibly) the frauds residence.
I'd bet that the perp is an older fellow who has age/time to learn how to scam. Afterall, he has over 600 transactions on ebay alone with 100 percent feedback ! Also, his type most likely doesn't have the skills for crafts work and usually scamming is too easy way to make money..over honest labor. Got to be careful that you don't bash the wrong person on the head and/or show the face of the wrong person. The real crook would really enjoy that,eh.
Rusty,
Seems like you have lots of evidence that you've properly kept(pics/times/dates/ address/cashed check bank info/ name of perp,etc....
It would be a pain in the rear, but there is a CA state law regarding fraud..look it up. I'd assemble copies of all such evidence and send a certified copy with letter to District Attorney of perps county. I'd also send a full copy of documents to ebay..FYI. I'd send a copy to model a clubs also..you get the idea?
BTW- I think that you've accomplished part of your goals , by posting here and spreading the word on this individual...and that's good on you!
What's troubling here is that this guy has 624 feedback at 100%!
Yet there are several who posted here, alone, who say that their dealings were negative. Are we to believe that of hundreds of transactions....that only the few negatives posted HERE are the only ones
This defies belief in the old saying that 'figures don't lie', but liars figure.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #68
Fred K-OR

Some things do not add up with this situation!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #69
skidmarks

google his name, with current posts like this the thread will show up. gets him lots of bad advertisement
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #70
CRguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
What's troubling here is that this guy has 624 feedback at 100%!
Yet there are several who posted here, alone, who say that their dealings were negative. Are we to believe that of hundreds of transactions....that only the few negatives posted HERE are the only ones
This defies belief in the old saying that 'figures don't lie', but liars figure.
That 100% feedback is only for the past year, and 62 transactions. He has had some complaints in the past. He used to sell coins.

Mel
Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #71
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Some things do not add up with this situation!
My experience with his eBay vendor was in 2007. When I encountered the poor packing for shipment, I wrote him an e-mail with essentially the same photos I posted above. When I wrote the e-mail, I was unaware of the problems I later found internally to the steering box (i.e., grease-packed, bad bearing, etc.). I closed the letter by saying. "I will give eBay feedback but I have no intention of mentioning this shipping problem.". And not knowing at the time, other than the poor shipping, i didn't have any reason to gave negative feedback.

Last edited by BillLee/Chandler, TX; 03-18-2012 at 06:46 AM.
BillLee/Chandler, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #72
gweilbaker

What about a local TV station or a paper that rights this kind of wrong? There definitely seems to be enough evidence.

GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #73
oj

Isn't this considered a felony?
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #74
deuce5wndw

Go to toolhaus.org and type in his ebay name! 5 negatives and 5 neutrals! The 1 year purging works for him!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #75
Huckster Dave

Sent him a little message also.
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #76
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckster Dave View Post
Sent him a little message also.
And what did you tell him? You got screwed by him, or you heard and read that he screwed someone over? :roll eyes:

This is certainly unfortunate and I think the few who frequent this site and are in the market for his services are now aware. Take this guy to small claims court and lets move on!
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #77
Chris in WNC

Quote:
if you depend on eBay to look after your interests in a dispute you have at least a 50-50 chance of being disappointed.

in 2003 we lost $300 on an antique lamp that was damaged by FedEx. we paid the seller for insured shipping, she claimed to have purchased insurance but refused to document it to us. eBay took her side, saying she documented the insurance to them. eBay would not forward said documentation to us. FedEx actually paid us in excess of their $100 limit for coverage on antique items, or the loss would have been greater.

I love eBay but recognize their shortcomings.....
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #78
rally 1

If you used the Postal service to mail correspondence, might be worth it to contact the Postal Inspectors. They take a very dim view of these type of scams.

Ken
rally 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #79
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally 1 View Post
If you used the Postal service to mail correspondence, might be worth it to contact the Postal Inspectors. They take a very dim view of these type of scams.

Ken
I would call and write everyone and anyone that could possibly help! A grand is way too much to just sit there and take it.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #80
Cool Hand Lurker

Send your evidence to the Internal Revenue Service. If he does this he probably isn't paying his taxes on it either. They like to find tax cheats that have an interesting story that will be read and will "encourage" others to pay their taxes. That is the theory they work under, to encourage people to pay their taxes voluntarily. It will be an easy investigation for them and it will cost him a few bucks. Possibly jail time too if it is flagrant and long term. I was a criminal tax fraud investigator for the IRS in 1967-68 and that is what we did. I don't think things have changed in that regard.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote