Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
CRguy

Default Re: Sad steering column experience I had

Threads like this are very helpful to the rest of us that might be needing work done by someone. I have used the search feature on this forum to learn a lot without having to start a new thread everytime I have a question. This thread will be there in the future if I'm thinking about having a steering column rebuilt.
CRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
TerryH

Very sorry to hear about your experience with this "clown". I have used eBay in the past for a variety of things, always with good results or luck. One feature of eBay is the feedback rating.....as bad as his guy is, what is his rating like? Unfortunately, he probably changes his "name" frequently to avoid the bad feedback ratings. I am almost ashamed to admit that I live in Fountain Valley....it is a nice, quiet small community. I tried looking up his name in the local phone book, and guess what.....not listed. I am not surprised........he probably does not want people to know where he lives. I was curious to drive by and see what his place looked like..........probably not too impressive!
If you don't mind, post his address so I can do a drive by..............

Terry

Last edited by TerryH; 03-15-2012 at 10:52 PM.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
wrndln

Gordon Peterson's address is:

Gordon Petersen
17607 Oak Street
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

Phone number: 714 273 2573

Email:
[email protected]

I will need to disassemble the two columns to see what he did and didn't do. I suspect I will find used sectors and worm gears in the two columns. Just from looking at the columns from the outside, with all the problems I noticed, I can't believe the inside items will be correct. Of course looking back, I should have done the work myself (learned how to rebuild the columns correctly), like I have done on almost all the other tasks in restoring on my 28 special coupe. It seems hindsight is much better than foresight!

Thanks for the support from all you fellow Fordbarners. It is nice to have a forum to get advice and support on problems like this. It sounds like a few other people have been scammed by him, but hopefully anyone reading this string will not be stung by him in the future. At least some good might come from this unfortunate situation. I just can't understand his 100% feedback rating on eBay. If his feedback would have been lower, even by a percent or two, I wouldn't have dealt with him. BTW, eBay was not involved in the situation, I just contacted him, unfortunately, via an eBay listing he had on eBay. Luckily, 99.9% of model Aer are honest people, I was just unlucky to have found one of the very few that aren't.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
james hitchcock

I wonder how someone such as he sleeps at night. All I can say is what goes round comes round.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
Gary Karr

A Google map search of his address and a close up street view will get you a picture of him working in his driveway. Too bad his back is to the camera so we can't identify him.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
700rpm

Rusty, ask your attorney how much he or she would charge to write a letter. My attorney usually charges about $200. If it were me, I'd do it. I've never had any luck with postal inspectors or state attorneys general. But a letter from an attorney gets attention. Maybe there's a lawyer who would do it on commission or even pro bono. Don't let this thief off lightly. Burn him down.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

How did you pay for it? Stop the check, cancel the card!!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #28
Richard/Ca

Hi wrndin! Sorry to read about your situation I had same type of scumbag rip me good but with my whole car. I would do what Dave in Boise suggested and Work up a real good case get some letters from the other FordBarners that were riped off by him and take him to Small claims court in your state. Most States if the defendant does not show up you win. But then you have to get the money yourself. Good Luck Richard/Ca. PS maybe he is making some more fantastic shipping boxes.

Last edited by Richard/Ca; 03-16-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #29
BrianBurkert

We have a specialty wood business and we deal locally only. Aside from having a website telling people what we have, we do no Internet transactions. I think it really pays to use personal references (from friends and colleagues) to decide where to buy and where to have work done, even if you think you are paying a few bucks more. References and face-to-face interaction seem to work well for both buyers and sellers.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
gweilbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
It appears he is busy restoring steering columns - NOT!

Maybe making somebody the SHAFT
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #31
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Gordon Peterson's address is:

Gordon Petersen
17607 Oak Street
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

Phone number: 714 273 2573

Email: [email protected]

I will need to disassemble the two columns to see what he did and didn't do. I suspect I will find used sectors and worm gears in the two columns. Just from looking at the columns from the outside, with all the problems I noticed, I can't believe the inside items will be correct. Of course looking back, I should have done the work myself (learned how to rebuild the columns correctly), like I have done on almost all the other tasks in restoring on my 28 special coupe. It seems hindsight is much better than foresight!

Thanks for the support from all you fellow Fordbarners. It is nice to have a forum to get advice and support on problems like this. It sounds like a few other people have been scammed by him, but hopefully anyone reading this string will not be stung by him in the future. At least some good might come from this unfortunate situation. I just can't understand his 100% feedback rating on eBay. If his feedback would have been lower, even by a percent or two, I wouldn't have dealt with him. BTW, eBay was not involved in the situation, I just contacted him, unfortunately, via an eBay listing he had on eBay. Luckily, 99.9% of model Aer are honest people, I was just unlucky to have found one of the very few that aren't.
Rusty Nelson
Sorry you had to go through this Rusty but THANK YOU for posting the problem!

I wonder if he was or is giving himself the good reviews?

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 03-16-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
Buz

That whole deal stinks. But the thing to remember is that there are lots of Model A Folks out there who will help you, that's what this forum is for. I bet there are people on here who would help you rebuild those columns for free, that's what a hobby is all about. If you were closer I certainly would have been happy to help you go through those columns. I've had plenty of free help working on these cars over the years and I also always try to help out whenever I can.
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #33
Rusty Homestead Fl

I wonder if a mail barrage from Ford Barn members to his Email address would do any good. At least he'd know we know what a bucket of scum he is. Sure, he would change his email address but any inconvenience to him is justified. I know this was done outside of Ebay but is there a way to post on his Ebay auctions to warn others? What a turd.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
RonC

Here's another column he sold. He offers a full refund if not satisfied

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110807416253
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
d.j. moordigian

This has no bearing on this mess, but, it looks like he is cutting tile? Is he a tile
guy.....
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Here's another column he sold. He offers a full refund if not satisfied

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110807416253
...probably full of Rusty's new parts.
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #37
wrndln

Update to the Gordon Peterson problem.
I decided to dismantle one of the columns to see what damage he had done inside. I am posting pictures of what I found - not good. First on the outside, he didn't install the two spark/gas plate screws correctly (protruding and misaligned), the bottom bolts were mismatched (not a big deal), the grease plugs were wrong and broken and he drilled new holes on the lower end of the spark and gas rods (I can hardly move the rods the spring are so compressed – why??). On the inside, the two ball bearings were used, not new (I sent him 4 new ones), the sector was used (I sent him two new ones), the worm gear is used (again I sent him two new ones), the lower shaft bushing above the worm gear was not replaced with one the two new ones I sent him, homemade side plate gasket with no sealer on it, and other minor problems with the column. Terrible rebuilding job. I have pasted in a bunch of pictures showing some of the problems. I am sure the second column has the same problems (or more) as the first one. What a craftsman, he should be real proud of himself!
Rusty Nelson

Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
Purdy Swoft

If a credit card was used for payment and too much time hasn't elapsed, this will be your best recourse to recover your money. I would think that the parts sent will be a total loss. A letter sent by an attorney would most likely be ignored and threw in the trash. In most cases the attorney general or district attorney will only be interested in high profile cases and will be of no help. If you went to the expense of retaining a lawyer and could get the case on the docket, even if you won a judgement against the creep, he probably would never pay and nothing would be done to force his hand. Being out of state would be to your disadvantage, creeps like this guy can usually get the case put off ,if he hires an attorney. It would be expensive and time consuming having to show up in court, only to have the case postponed. If you went to his house and ended up having to open up a can of whupass, this would end up costing mega bucks and may land you in jail or worse, prison. If you used Pay Pal or a credit card this is about your best chance of recovering the money but will still be a pain and there is NO guarantee of recovery. Thanks for exposing this person, I have seen him on eBay before and will be sure to never deal with him. Sorry for the misfortune.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #39
1931 flamingo

I would contact paypal and file a complaint even though you did not purchase online and/or next time something for sale by him on ebay cheap, buy it and then leave negative feedback. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #40
wrndln

I paid with a check as he wouldn't take a credit card (I think you know why). He waited 2 1/2 weeks to ship the columns after the check cleared my bank (I also wonder why!), probably to insure I couldn't cancel the check. I am sure he has pulled this scam many times. Sorry to keep posting my stuff, but that is about all I can do. I am just thankful that I didn't buy an (rebuilt engine from him and I use the term loosely) engine he has periodically listed on eBay. I guess it could have been worse.
Rusty Nelson