Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Smooth_One

Default Daily driving suggestions.

I plan to drive my 28 A quite a few days out of the week back-and-forth to work because I only have about 4 miles each way to work and back and I plan to drive it pretty much all weekend every weekend.
My question is I am keeping the car totally stock appearing because it is in good shape and with all the modern parts out now for these cars what suggestions do you guys have to make the car a little more bullet proof to drive every day?
It has four new tires and tubes, modern distributor cap and wires, new front bearings and all new steering bushings plus of course all the fluids have been changed and by the end of this week it will have all new brakes, new shoes, new brake rods, clevis's etc.
Smooth_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
JDupuis

Default Re: Daily driving suggestions.

Hi smooth, if driving in everyday traffic; consider turn signals. I've also added alternators to all four of my A's. Less worry about over or under charging the battery. Sounds like you're planning a great 2017. Jeff
JDupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Remember that the word MODERN does not always mean its better....thats as far as i will go with that.....

What kind of fan is on it?? Many have upgraded to the two blade aluminum since the original metal style fatigues, cracks and blows apart...usually through the radiator, hood, or beheads ya

The good part is being only 4 miles from home you can just push it down fruitville rd..you can rest at Robarts sports arena then continue on. I remember when it was just one lane in each direction.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-02-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

Does your auto insurance policy allow the use of your Model A as a daily use vehicle? If you do use your Model A as daily transportation, I suggest the following attributes are must haves:
> Spare set of keys;
> Turn signals;
> LED tail lights;
> Halogen headlights;
> Alternator & 30-amp ammeter;
> Battery cutoff switch;
> Serviceable spare tire;
> Excellent service brakes;
> Outside mirror on each side of the car;
> Set of modern tools aboard including a safe jack & wheel chock;
> Spare ignition points, condenser, coil and rotor;
> Spare fan belt;
> RainX;
> Gallon of coolant;
> Duct tape;
> Bottle of coolant stop leak such as Barr's;
> Roll of paper towels;
> Proof of insurance & state vehicle registration.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
handlebar99

The guys only talking about a four mile trip! He doesn't need a trailer load of spares! (credit card, AAA membership, and walking shoes works for me.)

Ray Rice, prepared for most eventualities, in Rifton
handlebar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

BARE MINIMUM ????? Just repeating some of the above, and in answering:

"what suggestions do you guys have to make the car a little more bullet proof to drive every day?"

my "BARE" minimum would be:

1. Insurance covering everyday driving to & from work; proof of insurance & registration.
2. Minimum ..... at least lap type seat belts.
3. Turn signals & rear window stop light.
4. Re-silvered or top of the line headlight reflectors coupled with a 6V generator Voltage Regulator (6V) in lieu of adjusting a cut-out if night driving is often anticipated.
5. Rain-X windshield treatment; (accompanied by a at least a non-working windshield wiper, in case of an accident in a rain, to show the jury you at least had a windshield wiper that maybe broke upon impact, as opposed to carelessly driving with "no" windshield wiper and "sharing" in the cost of the lawsuit & cost of court even though you were "not" at fault).
6. Wheel jack, good spare, & engine crank with lug wrench.
7. Functional keyed door lock and functional keyed spare tire lock if parked where you think public "may" or "may not" have access to your car ..... 2017 is not 1930.
8. Rear window shade to avoid in cab glare if night driving is anticipated.
9. Paper towels to wipe interior fogged up glass; small flashlight.
10. Small folding female umbrella; but just for your wife or girlfriend.

Others will have good additional items ..... based on former Model A experiences.

FWIW: For a common sense education on highway driving safety, just call several insurance companies to statistically find out that "most" accidents occur only a few miles from home, (like 4 miles), where we feel 100% safe and think absolutely nothing can happen.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-02-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Make sure your insurance company is aware that you are driving it to work and every weekend. To not seek their approval would be very foolish. Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
3.6rs

Seatbelts
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Does your auto insurance policy allow the use of your Model A as a daily use vehicle? If you do use your Model A as daily transportation, I suggest the following attributes are must haves:
> Spare set of keys;
> Turn signals;
> LED tail lights;
> Halogen headlights;
> Battery cutoff switch;
> Spare fan belt;
> RainX;
> Gallon of coolant;
> Duct tape;
> Roll of paper towels;
Remember he is four miles away not 400. Let's not go overboard. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 01-02-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
1930-fordor

I have shared this before, but it is worth repeating.
A gentleman with over 100k on his model A,
advised me that most all break downs will be associated with the distributor. For the sake of time have a spare distributor. Install it and have points set and make sure it works well. Then keep it with car. If you break down on the side of the road, and you suspect it could be timming related. You can change the distributor in about 4 min. Don't spend a lot of time on the side of the road trying to change points or condenser. You can figure out what went bad back at home when it is more convenient. It is a little pricey, but if you are broken down on the side of the road in unfavorable or unsafe conditions, it is worth the insurance.
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-fordor View Post
advised me that most all break downs will be associated with the distributor. For the sake of time have a spare distributor. Install it and have points set and make sure it works well. Then keep it with car. If you break down on the side of the road, and you suspect it could be timming related. You can change the distributor in about 4 min. Don't spend a lot of time on the side of the road trying to change points or condenser. You can figure out what went bad back at home when it is more convenient. It is a little pricey, but if you are broken down on the side of the road in unfavorable or unsafe conditions, it is worth the insurance.
But i put on the armored cable bracket for authenticity . Guess im screwed
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
1930-fordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
yep, my car is not a points car, so I did not install the cable clamp
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
TerryH

The driving to work insurance can be a big deal, as a lot of "antique car" policy's do not allow it. My personal recommendation, besides adding LED tail lights, is to also have the right side second tail light, along with working turn signals. I also have quartz halogen headlights and really like them.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #14
Smooth_One

Quote:
Remember that the word MODERN does not always mean its better....thats as far as i will go with that.....

What kind of fan is on it?? Many have upgraded to the two blade aluminum since the original metal style fatigues, cracks and blows apart...usually through the radiator, hood, or beheads ya

The good part is being only 4 miles from home you can just push it down fruitville rd..you can rest at Robarts sports arena then continue on. I remember when it was just one lane in each direction.
I have the four blade fan on it. Just the stock of hearing but with four blades
Old 01-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
> Spare set of keys;
> Turn signals;
> LED tail lights;
> Halogen headlights;
> Battery cutoff switch;
> Spare fan belt;
> RainX;
> Gallon of coolant;
> Duct tape;
> Roll of paper towels;

I will be carrying plenty of spare tools, some water, a new spare tire and tube, and I do have mirrors to go on the hinges of each side of the car but I have not installed them yet. Other than that I will throw in a spare belt and of course a spare cut off switch.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #16
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
BARE MINIMUM ????? Just repeating some of the above, and in answering:

"what suggestions do you guys have to make the car a little more bullet proof to drive every day?"

my "BARE" minimum would be:

1. Insurance covering everyday driving to & from work; proof of insurance & registration.
2. Minimum ..... at least lap type seat belts.
3. Turn signals & rear window stop light.
4. Re-silvered or top of the line headlight reflectors coupled with a 6V generator Voltage Regulator (6V) in lieu of adjusting a cut-out if night driving is often anticipated.
5. Rain-X windshield treatment; (accompanied by a at least a non-working windshield wiper, in case of an accident in a rain, to show the jury you at least had a windshield wiper that maybe broke upon impact, as opposed to carelessly driving with "no" windshield wiper and "sharing" in the cost of the lawsuit & cost of court even though you were "not" at fault).
6. Wheel jack, good spare, & engine crank with lug wrench.
7. Functional keyed door lock and functional keyed spare tire lock if parked where you think public "may" or "may not" have access to your car ..... 2017 is not 1930.
8. Rear window shade to avoid in cab glare if night driving is anticipated.
9. Paper towels to wipe interior fogged up glass; small flashlight.
10. Small folding female umbrella; but just for your wife or girlfriend.

Others will have good additional items ..... based on former Model A experiences.

FWIW: For a common sense education on highway driving safety, just call several insurance companies to statistically find out that "most" accidents occur only a few miles from home, (like 4 miles), where we feel 100% safe and think absolutely nothing can happen.
I always use rain X glass cleaner on all my vehicles so I got that covered. I don't plan to do much to the lights because I want to keep the old appearance of the car safety or not just my decision. It will have full coverage insurance on it for whatever it is estimated to be worth.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Are you doing this to strictly save money or possibly you can't afford a regular driver? A friend in Florida was quoted over $5000 to drive his 31 Chevrolet and that did not include collision or comprehensive on his car. It also required a yearly mechanical fitness test. Wayne
Old 01-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-fordor View Post
This is a good idea not thought about by many.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
Smooth_One

Quote:
Don't ask me why but I am still trying to figure out how to get the old armored cable out of the clamp without destroying the cable because I would like to hang onto it because it is still in good condition ha ha.
I've kept all the old parts I replaced on the car with new ones for some reason… I think it's kind of cool I guess to have old parts hanging around.

Last edited by Smooth_One; 01-02-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #20
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
The driving to work insurance can be a big deal, as a lot of "antique car" policy's do not allow it. My personal recommendation, besides adding LED tail lights, is to also have the right side second tail light, along with working turn signals. I also have quartz halogen headlights and really like them.
My car has the original glass lenses in the headlights and I am planning on just taking them apart and cleaning them up and replacing the bulbs and contacts.