Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Mike/Nebraska

Default roadster seat alternative

Okay guys, I don't want to get booed or condemned here, but I have a littel problem. I'm a big guy and my 29 roadster has an original seat, wooden back that screws to the wood around the back of the body and the stock seat riser and the other pice that rivets to the floor pan that the seat back rests on. It's not completely original now as I have modified the engine and I'm going to run 36 Ford 16" wires, so I'm looking for a seat that will work and give me more room. I'm going to take the seat riser that rivets to the floorpan and the seat frame out, but I really don't want to put bucket seats in it. So...just looking for someone who has had this same problem and what seats they use when they don't have all the original stuff. I've kept everything I took off that isn't original and I will do the same with the seat springs, riser and the seat frame as well as the pallet looking wood piece that goes behind the seat back. It's all there and all original and in perfect shape. If someone down the line wants to put it back to original, it will just be a weekend job.
Any ideas?
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: roadster seat alternative

Mike,

Try....Glide Engineering Inc....google the name, how big are you?

Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Jason in TX

I've heard rodders use the middle bench seat from minivans. Cheap at the junkyard. Recover it and it supposedly works pretty well. I've heard others use bus bench seats cut down, or you could specifically order a seat intended for a hot rod from some vendor.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I wouldn't remove the seat riser. Have you thought about just removing the bottom and back cushions and making some out of foam rubber that is thinner and contoured to at least fit a tall driver? Should be able to make something up and cover it to look pretty correct.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Mike/Nebraska

I thought about that Tom, but that seat riser that the back rests on would need to be taken out or cut dowon or the back would still sit as far forward as it does now. I cut 2" off the back of the seat frame to move it back but then realized that the seat bottom isn't what I need to move back, its the backrest.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

You could have an upholstery shop make you a seat back out of foam and cover, depending on how big you are and how much room you need would probably determine how thick the foam could be. You could also try tying the original springs.
Paul in CT Let us know what you end up doing
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Mike,

Try....Glide Engineering Inc....google the name, how big are you?

Dudley
Mike,
Yeah, glide eng inc possibly sells the equipment (seat/cover,etc) you seek, BUT the to buy from them.....the real question will be....how big is your wallet!! For example, the seat springs alone will cost you $500++ship/tax whatever. Then seat material/cover. Mabe junkyard van seat would look good!!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Jazzjr

Read the Post, In the Link Below I wrote, the Seat may work for you, on your Riser. The Post also has Photos of the Seat I'm Using.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4075
For these who want to Know about the Seat, It came out of a Dodge Mini Van, (Durango) Back seat, it was given to me. I used Fabric Dye to color it from Red to Black. As you can see it is 41" long and will fit the 44" inside space with 3" to spare. I built the Base out of Oak, the same height as the metal feet that were on it. I will anchor it to the Floor, using a Continuous Hinge, that way it can flip it up, and Store Tools, Jack and Spare Parts under it. It also came with Seat Belts already anchored in the seat, on the front, under the drivers side, where I will sit, I'll mount a Electrical Kill Switch.
This type of seat could be used for any Model A, if you don't have a Seat.

Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Keith True

For the backrest in both a CCPKP and a RPU I used 3/4 plywood,and I think 3 inch foam.I would not want to use it to sit on,but as a backrest it works fine.The LB upholstery just has a little more overlap to work with when installing.There are foams available to sit on,but I never needed to go that route as the springs worked fine.I sold the 28 RPU to a man that is 6'6 or better,and thin.He wiggles his way in,but he says once he is in there he is fine.I had to tell him the backrest was not stock,it looks like it belongs there.I'm OK fore and aft,it is sideways I have problems.I can't drive a closed A with the window up.My arm has to go somewhere.I have to have my arm sticking out rain or shine,cold or hot.I can go about 1/2 hour closed in,then the arthritis in my shoulders starts screaming.I have modified shift levers for people before too,offsetting them 2 or 3 inches to the right.I had to use a 28-29 trans cover and brake handle to get away with that.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
Jim Parker Toronto

Mike, I moved the seat frame back 3", made a base of plywood about 2"thick,and put 2 1/2" of good quality foam on it. For the backrest, I striped everything out, faced the vertical supports with 1/4" plywood, and then the 2 1/2" of foam. I went to the upholstry shop and covered it all with grey and white tweed. My Roadster is black so I think it looks Ok. This will give you that much needed space to get your feet in as well. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs. and don't have any trouble getting in or out, and have that much needed room for the stomach.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Mike/Nebraska

Thanks Guys, and Jim, that sounds good. I'm 6'2"and 275 so that may work. I drove it when it was all original but it was a chore getting in and out.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
Geo. H

That pallet looking thing behind the seats is missing in my roadster. I didn't know it until I got in a friend's roadster and discovered I had about an inch and a half more room than he had. But then you have four inches and a hundred pounds on me. You're gonna have to get creative or find a car stretcher.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote