Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
1crosscut

Default How cheap have you been?

This summer I was putting gas into my AA truck when I noticed a middle aged gal using the sponge / window squeegee to wash areas of her car. I thought this a bit odd but figured she was just getting some of the worst of the bugs off prior to her going through the automated car attached to the gas station. She seemed to be doing a pretty thorough job of it though. After filling her car she drove right on past the car wash and left. Very interesting indeed.
So what have you done to save $$'s?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: How cheap have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
This summer I was putting gas into my AA truck when I noticed a middle aged gal using the sponge / window squeegee to wash areas of her car. I thought this a bit odd but figured she was just getting some of the worst of the bugs off prior to her going through the automated car attached to the gas station. She seemed to be doing a pretty thorough job of it though. After filling her car she drove right on past the car wash and left. Very interesting indeed.
After the last divorce, stayed single..................

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

What have I done to save DOLLARS?-------I put some money in a fruit jar, tied a LOOOONG YELLOW string on it & tole Buster T. to go bury it.---I FORGOT about the gardeners' ROTARY MOWER!!!
Bill W.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
RUNNERBUN

I would have chased after her and asked her to marry me. Just think of all the surplus house keeping money you would have to spend on your toys.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
ronn

That's my kind of gal!

maybe off topic, but the wife and I have picked up fresh road kill deer and brought it home and butchered it up............... mighty tasty!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
WestCoast

about 1962 i put a new clutch in my 49 ford, no new pressure plate or throw out bearing, about 4 months later lost the throw out bearing, and had to do the job all over again
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
roundvalley

I seperate 2 ply toilet paper.
roundvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
Bulligen

I weld all the little ends of used welding rods together so I have another welding rod !
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Service stations used to close at 9 or 10 PM, then I could drive up to the pumps, squeeze the handle and get a cup or two of free gas from each hose. 30 cents a gallon, so make every cent count.

Darn jerks changed the nozzles so that doesn't work these days.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:37 PM   #10
J Franklin

Repaired a BIC knockoff lighter a couple of times.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
ive done this before... usually in a rainstorm haha, drive under, fill up with gas, take squeegee to all windows, bird droppings, grille, headlights, leaf stains, kicked up mud that doesnt seem to want to come off. then drove out into the rainstorm haha.

ive seen people use a mcdonalds cup and "steal" the squeegie fluid to put in thier washer resivor tanks...
Old 11-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Who said Model A Ford people were not eccentric ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 model a View Post
after the last divorce, stayed single..................

lmao ! :d
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
Big hammer

One of my mentors over haul a 12v battery he drain the electrons out,turn it ups side down,washed it out,added new acid,and charged it! Batteries were less than 20$
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
Ray in La Mesa

Ditto with Bulligen. I also try to repair anything that is broken before I buy new, like now I'm fixing 2004 Chevy air conditioning vent louvers- replacing the tiny plastic rotating tip with pieces of paper clip mounted in holes drilled in each vent vane. It worked!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i turn my depends inside out
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #17
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundvalley View Post
Yea but the money you save will just be spent on extra hand soap. Right?
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

I buy CANNED beans, cheeper than runnin' up my power bill, boilin' them in a pot.
Bill W.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #19
mike657894

i used a old poly quilted blanket(10$) for my soft
top pad on my fordor. it worked great.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #20
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundvalley View Post
ROTFLMAO!!!! Good one. Brings back a memory while billeted in an old German/Italian POW camp at Ft Gordon, open latrine, I mean open!!!! Two lines of crappers facing each other. This guy comes in, does his dump and take one (1) square of paper to wipe, I said, you're in the Army now and you can take more than one (1) square. Looked at me as if I was nuts!!!!

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #21
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Another good one!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #22
montanafordman

Not cheap in many of your eyes, but to my generation my actions might be considered unusual. Most people in their early/mid 30's or younger prioritize TV, computer, and videogame entertainment above all else and if something breaks they lack the mechanical aptitude or desire to figure it out and repair it themselves. Instead they tend to buy something new or pay someone else to do it. I hate paying other people to do things I can do myself even if there is a learning curve required. I also like to pocket all those savings toward new tools and the restoration of my Model A. Here are a few examples:

1. Cancelled my cable TV service in favor of free broadcast TV over an antenna and Netflix @ 11 bucks a month.

2. Went with DSL service over Cable internet (cheaper but not as fast)

3. I do all my own vehicle and house maintenance and repair whenever possible. This goes much farther than what most people my age would consider. My daily driver is a 1998 F150 (17 years old) with 200K on the ticker. I've rebuilt the entire front end, used my welder to extract broken exhaust manifold studs and replace exhaust manifolds, manifold gaskets, major tune up of all emission components, EGR tube/valve etc. U joints.. the list goes on. The truck is well maintained and looks nearly as good as it did when it was new. It runs great and have no immediate plans to get anything else. Another big factor is that I don't have the means to buy a new 30-40K 4x4 pickup.

A major wind storm just took out some fence posts in my yard AGAIN (although in a different area). The wood posts were cemented in too which makes it a major PITA to dig them out. Looks like I'll be breaking out the high lift jack and chain to pull the remains of the concrete and post out of the ground and doing more fence work... beats paying a contractor for the labor though.

4. My TV recently went on the fritz, and instead of dropping 500-1000 bucks on a new one I did some research and when I opened it up I found 1 bad capacitor, which I replaced and also found out the main culprit was the audio/visual input circuit board. I found a used one on EBay and repaired my TV for a grand total of $90.

Last edited by montanafordman; 11-18-2015 at 11:14 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
Not cheap in many of your eyes, but to my generation my actions might be considered unusual. Most people in their early/mid 30's or younger prioritize TV, computer, and videogame entertainment above all else and if something breaks they lack the mechanical aptitude or desire to figure it out and repair it themselves. Instead they tend to buy something new or pay someone else to do it. I hate paying other people to do things I can do myself even if there is a learning curve required. I also like to pocket all those savings toward new tools and the restoration of my Model A. Here are a few examples:

1. Cancelled my cable TV service in favor of free broadcast TV over an antenna and Netflix @ 11 bucks a month.

2. Went with DSL service over Cable internet (cheaper but not as fast)

3. I do all my own vehicle and house maintenance and repair whenever possible. This goes much farther than what most people my age would consider. My daily driver is a 1998 F150 (17 years old) with 200K on the ticker. I've rebuilt the entire front end, used my welder to extract broken exhaust manifold studs and replace exhaust manifolds, manifold gaskets, major tune up of all emission components, EGR tube/valve etc. U joints.. the list goes on. The truck is well maintained and looks nearly as good as it did when it was new. It runs great and have no immediate plans to get anything else. Another big factor is that I don't have the means to buy a new 30-40K 4x4 pickup.

A major wind storm just took out some fence posts in my yard AGAIN (although in a different area). The wood posts were cemented in too which makes it a major PITA to dig them out. Looks like I'll be breaking out the high lift jack and chain to pull the remains of the concrete and post out of the ground and doing more fence work... beats paying a contractor for the labor though.

4. My TV recently went on the fritz, and instead of dropping 500-1000 bucks on a new one I did some research and when I opened it up I found 1 bad capacitor, which I replaced and also found out the main culprit was the audio/visual input circuit board. I found a used one on EBay and repaired my TV for a grand total of $90.
Having cowboyed in Montana, Stillwater County, I know exactly how resourceful the people of Montana are, they had to be and still have to be to survive.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Tonys' TV was CRACKLING & POPPING, like a lightning storm, we opened it & blew out all the LINT & it worked PERFECTLY!
Bill W.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #25
ronn

"i turn my depends inside out"

Mitch, surprised you dont run them through your dishwasher and hang them out on the cloths line.................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #26
rowens55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Me too, but I wasn't gonna admit it!!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #27
Mitch//pa
BANNED

sometimes i send the old ones to DAD

SA soooonout

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 11-18-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #28
Jason in TX

I have a row of 6 lightbulbs over the bathroom sink that have a single filament between two posts inside the glass. When one burns out (filament breaks) I will unscrew the bulb and try it inother socket so that the long end of the broken filament dangles down to come in contact with the short end of the broken filament, momentairly arcing inside the light bulb and in essence welding the filament back together again.

I've been "restoring" a bulb that has burnt out about 6 times now for the past few years!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
Let me guess Samsung tv? That was a issue with them and had one go out myself. Capacitors installed were to small for the power supply.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #30
Stretch Cab

My grandfather was the creator of "Cheap". He built the Model T Depot Hack that I have to replicate one he drove as a kid to hall laundry. He rebuilt the motor using all used gaskets. Motor runs good but leaks live a sieve.
He had a saying, "Use it up, wear it out, use what you have or do without". Or another one was, "Poor people have poor ways".
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #31
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Let me guess Samsung tv? That was a issue with them and had one go out myself. Capacitors installed were to small for the power supply.
Got bit by a Samsung TV here too.Was just out of warranty they told me too bad so sad. Big flat screen wasn't cheap. Piece of crap never own one again.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #32
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
You guessed it!

Mine is a 2008 vintage Samsung 40" TV. I could tell one capacitor was bad because it was slightly bulged and leaked a trace amount out the top. It may have caused the A/V source board to go bad for all I know. I replaced all the main capacitors for about $5 and the A/V circuit board was $85 shipped. Seemed a lot more logical than buying a new one. Taking it to a repair man would have made the cost much closer to buying a new TV. From what I heard Samsung got quite a bit of heat for that error and in many cases payed for the repairs on many TVs out of warranty (might have been a class action lawsuit). Its amazing since the cost of capacitors is so cheap that it seems like a stupid way to cut corners. Probably lost in the long run but bean counters will cut 5 cents off each unit if they can - and multiply that out by the thousands or more and they think it makes economic sense until it comes back to bite them.

I had my TV for about 7 years until it gave me trouble. Most would write it off as being at the end of its life cycle but for $90 I'm hoping to get at least another 7 years out of it.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #33
Anteek29

LOL...you guys are so creative...and entertaining. Wife and I rinse, wipe and re-use our paper plates several times before tossing them.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #34
Rex_A_Lott

Back when SC had inspection stickers I always let mine run out and then got it renewed the next day, so it was due the next month the next year. Every 12 years I beat them out of the $4 inspection fee.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #35
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
LOL...you guys are so creative...and entertaining. Wife and I rinse, wipe and re-use our paper plates several times before tossing them.
ill reuse paper plates if thier not soaked with anything.

i think the cheapest thing i do is make my own shooting targets, stack of 500 of the cheapest plates you can buy and a spraycan of florescent pink spraypaint to spray a quick dot about size of a half dollar or so in the center of the plate will last a very long time

discarded pallets are a great source for lumber for those quick and dirty projects in the basement or garage. half the time the 2x4's are better quality than some of the crap they are trying to sell in the big box stores
Old 11-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #36
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
discarded pallets are a great source for lumber for those quick and dirty projects in the basement or garage. half the time the 2x4's are better quality than some of the crap they are trying to sell in the big box stores
Ha! You reminded me how excited I get when I see someone put out a set of bed rails by the side of the road. FREE ANGLE IRON! I cut up bed rails all the time and use the steel for various projects, jigs, brackets, etc.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #37
CarlG

Quote:
Way back when I was first married in my early 20's, I had no money for anything. I was working in a print shop that had just received some new equipment from Germany. It came on oak skids. I salvaged all that lumber and had enough to completely build a "picket" fence around the yard to contain my first born son. Borrowed a table saw and a post hole digger from my FIL to accomplish the task. Even had enough lumber left to build a clothes line. Only oak fence I've ever seen.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #38
KGBnut

After an uncle died we were cleaning out his workshop. My father found a box labeled

"String - Too Short to Use."

I thought it was pretty funny.

When we were leaving, I found that he had put the box in the car to bring home and save. Thirty years later he still has it, and still fishes around in it when he needs a short piece.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #39
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Ha! You reminded me how excited I get when I see someone put out a set of bed rails by the side of the road. FREE ANGLE IRON! I cut up bed rails all the time and use the steel for various projects, jigs, brackets, etc.
yea... we used to have several bedframes but alas got turned into trailer brackets, lawnmower handle repair, etc lol. so when the time came and i got a bigger bed i had to borrow a frame from a friend haha.

ive even found metal/steel banding strips to be useful, rather springy and can flex a bit and sometimes just thin enough for shims and whatnot.

i wish more of our scrapyards would let you buy stuff out of them, they say once it enters the yard it isnt leaving... see so much useful bits and bobs of stuff when i go.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #40
pooch

I use a 9 inch cutting wheel til it is too small to clear the grinder gearhead, about 4 1/2 inches, then use it on my 4 inch angle grinder until it won't clear that gearhead .

It is about 1 1/2 inches diameter before I toss it.

Once got a stack of worn 14 inch or thereabouts cutting wheels, the big ones off a drop saw, that were worn to about 9 1/2 inches so would not fit on my big grinder with the guard on.

I always run the 4 inch with no guard, and yes, I do have a few scars from it, but running the big one with an oversize cutting wheel and no guard is a bit scary.

Once it is down at 9 inches diameter the guard goes back on that one .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #41
pooch

Quote:
yea... we used to have several bedframes but alas got turned into trailer brackets, lawnmower handle repair, etc lol. so when the time came and i got a bigger bed i had to borrow a frame from a friend haha.

ive even found metal/steel banding strips to be useful, rather springy and can flex a bit and sometimes just thin enough for shims and whatnot.

i wish more of our scrapyards would let you buy stuff out of them, they say once it enters the yard it isnt leaving... see so much useful bits and bobs of stuff when i go.
Our scrap yards (tips) are now called 'recycling centres'.

Have been for many years, like a big garage sale, some of my best stuff has come from there.

Many parts on my current model A/s have bits of metal from the tip.

And I use bed frames made of angle all the time, it is very good hi-tensile and thin and light angle .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #42
CWilson

During my junior year of college I barely had enough money to pay for tuition and an apartment. I lived the school year on fish I could catch, or meat I could hunt. (not 100% but I'd say close to 85%) Never had to worry about roommates stealing my food. (except the walleye fillets, and goose jerky)
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #43
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
During my junior year of college I barely had enough money to pay for tuition and an apartment. I lived the school year on fish I could catch, or meat I could hunt. (not 100% but I'd say close to 85%) Never had to worry about roommates stealing my food. (except the walleye fillets, and goose jerky)
I admire people like you that had the initiative to do whatever necessary to get an education. You are to be commended for sure! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #44
J Wade

I thought everyone went out in a rain storm with a rag to wash their truck. Problem is if you don't finish then you have to wait for another rain and here in West Texas that can be a while
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:35 AM   #45
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
i live cheap i buy pinto beans from walmart for 20$ for 16lbs. its about a six month supply and i eat them boiled plain and split up in sandwich bags.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #46
burner31

The old man used to bring his work vehicle home, as a young taxpayer I figured I was paying for it anyways, so I would boost 5-10 gallons of gas out of it after he went to bed.
(He was a cop)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 AM   #47
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
i live cheap i buy pinto beans from walmart for 20$ for 16lbs. its about a six month supply and i eat them boiled plain and split up in sandwich bags.
Sorry but, curiosity has the best of me....are you invited to many parties??????

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #48
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Sorry but, curiosity has the best of me....are you invited to many parties??????

Funny!!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #49
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Got bit by a Samsung TV here too.Was just out of warranty they told me too bad so sad. Big flat screen wasn't cheap. Piece of crap never own one again.
Yep same here. Only a month or two after warranty.

Just as montanafordman said, bulging capacitors tops. BrotherInLaw replaced them for a couple dollars with larger capacitors.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote