Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Maclab58

Default Brattons new headlight reflectors

Just changed my sealed beam conversion back to stock headlights using the new Brattons reflectors, Holy Crap! These are amazing! I'm gonna buy a set for my 28 sport coupe! They are crazy bright and I'm running 6v with stock bulbs!!!!!! I highly recommend them!!!!!!!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Brian T

Default Re: Brattons new headlight reflectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
Just changed my sealed beam conversion back to stock headlights using the new Brattons reflectors, Holy Crap! These are amazing! I'm gonna buy a set for my 28 sport coupe! They are crazy bright and I'm running 6v with stock bulbs!!!!!! I highly recommend them!!!!!!!
This is good to hear, did you adjust them so they were focused correctly?,
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
There are those of us that have been saying for years that properly shaped reflectors make a world of difference. The aluminum coating has great reflective properties and no tarnishing.

Bulbs with properly shaped filaments wall also add to the whole package.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi 58,

FWIW:

The July/August 2014 Restorer printed an article by Mr. David Adair, Oregon City, Oregon, where Bratton's reflectors with 32 candle power (CP) bulbs, (either 6V or 12V), reportedly had the:

"Best well defined light pattern" at 25 feet, & was the only one rated as "Excellent".

It was reported that Bratton's Aluminized reflectors rated even better than original polished silver reflectors; and, that the 32 CP bulbs focused better with these reflectors at 25 feet than that of the 56 CP Halogen bulbs with Flash Chrome reflectors at 25 feet.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
There are those of us that have been saying for years that properly shaped reflectors make a world of difference. The aluminum coating has great reflective properties and no tarnishing.

Bulbs with properly shaped filaments wall also add to the whole package.
I agree. These have been a long time coming as far as necessity. One can only speculate how the perception of Model-A 6volt lighting system would be today if some 40 years ago, Vintique would have taken the effort to make their reflectors in the correct shape and coatings. A lot of misconceptions have been made by hobbyist and the general public over the years due to aftermarket/reproduction parts!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Will N

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have to echo Maclab. The new Bratton's reflectors are worth every cent. God bless Walt for having them made!
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Brian T

This will be the third time I have asked this question without a reply, using a quality bulb such as a Mazda 1000, ---- not the offshore no name brand, as anyone bothered to check the beam adjustment as per factory pattern,
just curious.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
stewwolfe

Have they straightened out the issue with the bulbs not fitting properly in these? The last ones I bought from Walt a, few years ago, blink on and off because of poor bulb contact.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
This will be the third time I have asked this question without a reply, using a quality bulb such as a Mazda 1000, ---- not the offshore no name brand, as anyone bothered to check the beam adjustment as per factory pattern,
just curious.
Yes, they work just like the Factory S/Bulletins show in the diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
Have they straightened out the issue with the bulbs not fitting properly in these? The last ones I bought from Walt a, few years ago, blink on and off because of poor bulb contact.

A few years ago these were just on the drawing board. As I recall, these have only been on the market for 6-8 months, ...maybe a little longer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Al 29Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
I used the sockets that were in the buckets and the reflectors are great.
I can actually see where I'm going.
Al Leach
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
ericr

you guys have answered a huge question I had because on the present reflectors I have, wherever they came from, I never have been able to get the focus pattern depicted in the Service Bulletins.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
just curious.
give an ignoramus like me some more information....if this is a modern run, where do you buy them?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
you guys have answered a huge question I had because on the present reflectors I have, wherever they came from, I never have been able to get the focus pattern depicted in the Service Bulletins.
I highly suspect those are the Vintique reflectors you have been trying. The parabolic shape is incorrect, the bulb mount is in the wrong location, and the coating is not a good reflective surface. These have been available for 30+ years I suppose and so there has been plenty of opportunity for them to 'get around' to dealers & vendors. You will be happy with the new reflectors I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
give an ignoramus like me some more information....if this is a modern run, where do you buy them?

Like the initial post eluded to, these are the newly tooled headlight reflectors that Brattons came out with recently. HERE is a link to them on their website.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I highly suspect those are the Vintique reflectors you have been trying. The parabolic shape is incorrect, the bulb mount is in the wrong location, and the coating is not a good reflective surface. These have been available for 30+ years I suppose and so there has been plenty of opportunity for them to 'get around' to dealers & vendors. You will be happy with the new reflectors I feel.

Like the initial post eluded to, these are the newly tooled headlight reflectors that Brattons came out with recently. HERE is a link to them on their website.
but I was referring to the bulb comment.....
Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #15
Ray P

Is there a writeup that compares these reflectors with original stock in terms of performance? I have been thinking about having my originals replated. I understand about the tarnishing difference but I am more interested in knowing if these provide better light. Brattons catalog says reflectivity is the same as silver
Ray P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray P View Post
Is there a writeup that compares these reflectors with original stock in terms of performance? I have been thinking about having my originals replated. I understand about the tarnishing difference but I am more interested in knowing if these provide better light. Brattons catalog says reflectivity is the same as silver
None that I have heard of yet as they are still new. If I remember right Brattons posted here that thet were made from ford prints for the replacement of the original reflectors.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi 58,

FWIW:

The July/August 2014 Restorer printed an article by Mr. David Adair, Oregon City, Oregon, where Bratton's reflectors with 32 candle power (CP) bulbs, (either 6V or 12V), reportedly had the:

"Best well defined light pattern" at 25 feet, & was the only one rated as "Excellent".

It was reported that Bratton's Aluminized reflectors rated even better than original polished silver reflectors; and, that the 32 CP bulbs focused better with these reflectors at 25 feet than that of the 56 CP Halogen bulbs with Flash Chrome reflectors at 25 feet.
THAT was an interesting article. After comparing the various reflectors out there, Bratton's is a no-brainer. I was sold on them!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #18
Kevin in NJ

The article by Adair is great- very well done, but has a 'hole'.

He left out the direct replacement halogen bulbs that are on the market. These are the bulbs that fit the original socket and should have the filaments reasonably located such that you can properly focus the light.

The halogen he tested was the modern type which can not be focused. So you waste a lot of light (which means your blinding oncoming traffic and lighting up the trees) so the amount of light at the sensor was not that much. So you spend a lot of money for the kit and you need to have more electric power to run them. So you need to spend a lot of money and the article shows you do not really gain anything.

The direct replacement halogen bulbs should be at the correct focus point and would likely show a substantial improvement in light output with minimal increase in power required.

I believe there are 2 manufacturers of the direct replacement halogen bulbs. There are the lower cost made in India bulbs. The few bulbs I have seen of this type have a plain brass base and you can see the filaments are not positioned properly. These bulbs I believe are imported by Hirsch and the major A vendors are selling them.

The second company is Classic and Vintage Bulbs. The older bulbs are dead on replacements for the originals as far a filament placement. My understanding is there has been a change in the place of manufacture and the quality is not the same. These bulbs are only available from some select dealers.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
The article by Adair is great- very well done, but has a 'hole'.

He left out the direct replacement halogen bulbs that are on the market. These are the bulbs that fit the original socket and should have the filaments reasonably located such that you can properly focus the light. . .
Kevin, I looked at focus issues about a year ago. Perhaps I should revisit this with the latest bulbs. This was January 2013:

HOW MUCH OF THE LIGHT IS FOCUSED vs. SCATTER?
Here's one way to figure the %. Refer to the diagram below.

Measure the distance from the filament to the edge of the reflector. This is the RADIUS.
Measure the angle from the center line @focal point to the reflector edge. This is THETA.
Compute the surface area of the sphere of total photon emission, outlined by the red circle. A = 4pi x r x r
Compute the surface area of the cone of unreflected photon emission, shown in yellow. A = 2pi x r x r (1- cosine theta)
Use the two areas to calculate either the direct or reflected %. (simple arithmetic!)

Side note here:
1) Not all of the light that flares through the lens (blue) without parallel reflection is bad! All of the scatter light below the centerline is useful road illumination. You may consider using 1/2 the area of the unreflected cone of emission when figuring % of useful light.

2) The 60/55W lamps with the BLOCKED forward emission eliminates much of the unfocused forward scatter, but does not reflect that light back to the reflector. The black top converts visible photons to heat. Is this good or bad? You eliminate the annoying upward scatter that illuminates trees, but you also lose the useful down-scatter that illuminates ground close to the vehicle. On a positive note, there will be less glare to oncoming traffic. The low beam filament internal reflector will severely bias which section of the Twolite lens receives the most light. Beam pattern result unknown without field test comparisons.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
My understanding is there has been a change in the place of manufacture and the quality is not the same.
Imagine that
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote