Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M
Default window regulator installation

My window regulator skips when rolling the window up and down, The window operated just fine except for the skip when cranking. Therefore, I am replacing the window regulator on the passenger door of my coupe. I was able to remove the door panel and regulator. My problem is: I installed the new regulator, have the window all the way up, and when I roll it down it binds at about 4 inches from the top. I also found that with the regulator out the window binds about half way down. I could get the window all the way down without the regulator by carefully working the glass down to the bottom. What should I be looking for?
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: window regulator installation

It sounds like a problem with the window chanels.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I agree that it must be the channels, but you still should grease the moving parts just before you reinstall the door panels. If you grease all the moving parts before you fix the tight window problem, you'll have grease everywhere. Have you tried spraying any silicone in the channels?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
JOES31

Make sure that the glass is the proper thickness. I ran into the same problem scratching my head because I replaced the channels and riser. It still bound up in a couple spots. I tried silicone grease on the riser etc. It wasn't until I removed the passenger side to replace the channels I noticed the passenger side glass seemed to be thinner. It was. Someone replaced the drivers side with a 1/16" thicker glass.

Now the right thing to do is to get the correct glass but I can't seem to find anyone that has that one piece. I took a small strip of 1/4" plywood and gently tapped it into both channels to widen them a bit. Worked perfect. Now if I ever break that glass I will be wondering why the new glass is so loose because of course I am going to forget.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I think that all the new safety plate glass is thinner than the original plate glass. Sometimes the edges of the glass will need a bit of smoothing or rounding to prevent bind. 80 grit sand paper will do a surprisingly good lob. most glass companies use a special belt sander for this purpose.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Thanks to all who answered. I found where the glass was binding in the channel. I lubed the channel and it helped some but it was still binding. I used a 4 inch long 3/8" bolt. Put the stud end into the channel and opened up the channel a tad where it was binding. Window now goes up and down without binding...
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Michael Hunter

Did your old regulator bind or just ratchet with a bad tooth ? You may have received a faulty new regulator. They don't make them like they used to.

QUOTE=Dick M;914042]My window regulator skips when rolling the window up and down, The window operated just fine except for the skip when cranking. Therefore, I am replacing the window regulator on the passenger door of my coupe. I was able to remove the door panel and regulator. My problem is: I installed the new regulator, have the window all the way up, and when I roll it down it binds at about 4 inches from the top. I also found that with the regulator out the window binds about half way down. I could get the window all the way down without the regulator by carefully working the glass down to the bottom. What should I be looking for?[/QUOTE]
Michael Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote