Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
RobertB

Default 1931 Ford PU Project...three questions

I haven't even titled and registerd the 31 SW yet, but I've found a project 1931 Pickup on Craig's list locally. They are asking $4500 but I'm waiting to find out if it even has an engine in it.

Assuming no engine...how does that price sound?

Also, I was just reading some older threads and saw a picture of a 31 coupe with a 32 grill shell. Are they a direct replacement?

Finally, on a Fast and Loud several month ago, they cleaned up a Model A roadster that had larger headlights installed. I really liked the look of those big headlights. Anyone know where to buy them?

I'll now put on my flack jacket and steel pot helmet and await the answers and slings and arrows from the purists.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: 1931 Ford PU Project...three questions

I think the larger lights were 1932 lights. Which originals are what you call expensive. Price wise it doesn't sound too bad. The 32 grill fits, not like a perfect glove but it fits.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Is it rotted 6 inches up all around?
Is the frame twisted?
Does it have a radiator?
Does it have a rear end?
How about 4 wheels?

Get the idea, we need more information to give you an intelligent answer. $4500 could be the best deal this year or you were taken for a body and stuff worth less than $500.00.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

The price sounds high without an engine but it could be way over priced and maybe not even good for a starting point. What else is missing along with the engine? They tended to use these trucks as trucks and some of them are rough. Then it might be a "rat rod". The filler neck is in a different location on the '32 so the shell is not a "bolt on" "direct replacement". The '32 shells usually ended up with the filler neck hole removed and a pressure cap installed under the hood. The lights were probably '32 and you can seed them in most of the vendor's catalogues (for example https://www.bobdrake.com/ItemSearchF...Search=b-13000).

Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
I haven't even titled and registerd the 31 SW yet, but I've found a project 1931 Pickup on Craig's list locally. They are asking $4500 but I'm waiting to find out if it even has an engine in it.

Assuming no engine...how does that price sound?

Also, I was just reading some older threads and saw a picture of a 31 coupe with a 32 grill shell. Are they a direct replacement?

Finally, on a Fast and Loud several month ago, they cleaned up a Model A roadster that had larger headlights installed. I really liked the look of those big headlights. Anyone know where to buy them?

I'll now put on my flack jacket and steel pot helmet and await the answers and slings and arrows from the purists.

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-12-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
RobertB

I had left a message and the seller's son called me back.

Original rear axle and suspension, original front axle and suspension, 4 aluminum "hot rod" wheels.

No Model A engine or trans. No rust apparent in the pictures.

305 Chevy engine sitting in it. Ran when it was jerked from the donor car.

No transmission.

Above is my attempt to insert a picture...dooh.

The owner is supposed to call me with more details.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
rollingsculpture

honestly if you want a model A truck i would pass there is too much to undo OR if you like it the way it is and think its cool than spend your money and see what you get seeing that your in NM i can see where the style is west coast non traditional build but as an investment with paint yet to do .you may only break even.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
midgetracer

it is hard to see the condition from the pictures, but if the fenders and box are in great shape, and there is no rust in the cab, it may be an okay buy. $4500 is asking. Will take is usually a bit lower. I would look at it in person. Pickups are popular now.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

It's a shame that the HAMB site is down as this is a perfect question for a hot rod site.
But since it is down maybe they are lurking here?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
dumb person

If the brakes and everything else are working just fine it might be an ok buy. But personally i would put a ford engine and tran's in it. Preferably as made for a '31.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
chiliman

You might consider also is the family going on A outings? are you tall? find some one near you that has a four door set in it take it for a spin check out leg room the four door more confort for driving and family pickup fits short people better and the back of seat is kind of straight with no way to tilt don't get me wrong I have one of each and love but on the short side here so it is all in what you are looking for
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Lets just say that in that condition with motor and trans missing, it is not a steal ! I would keep looking before I would invest $4500 in it. And yes it is a perfect question for HAMB if it us up.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Robert,

You need to sit down and decide where you want to be 4 years from now when you finish it. You can fine tune the time estimate based on your slant window. Do you really want a truck or did you just happen to find this one? If you want a street rod it might be a good place to start depending upon what an inspection shows. If you want a restored (or driver quality) Model A I think you should pass based on what you have posted so far. You will easily put more into the truck in time and money that you could buy one for and you will save a couple of years of your spare time if you buy one in the condition you want (or close to it). This truck looks like the classic example or trying to save money by buying cheap up front and then ending up spending more before the project is complete. Look at the truck and then make a list of what you will need to put it in the condition you want. One final deal breaker for me would be if the paperwork is not clean. What is the status of the paperwork?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-13-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Roberto,
1-If it was a good buy, he wuldn't have had to put it on Craig's List!
2-If ALL original parts aren't there, you'll be searching for them FOREVER!
3-It looks like someone's, "PIPE-DREAM" Hot Rod.
4-EVEN when you find a "PRIMO DRIVER", you usually have to spend tons of $$$$ on it, just to make it roadworthy!
5- Just 'cause it's OLD, folks think it's worth a FORTUNE!
6- PRIMER hides a multitude of body flaws, under MUCHO BONDO!
Bill W.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
mshmodela

Seems to me the wisdom of Mr. Williamson is straight and to the point --not to mention easily read, esp. with my extremely poor vision.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
RobertB

OK..thanks for the reality check. I'll wait until everything is spruced up on the four door SW I have now, then I'll look for a PU.

I'm 6' 260lbs, so what a probably need in a PU is the coupe body with the PU bed.

I keep forgetting my own experience and the words of Jay Leno...buy someone else's finished project and save thousands of dollars and thousands of hours work.

Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

I think they make extended roadster pickup bodies for those that need them. Maybe Brookville? Or maybe make one starting with a sedan.

Charlie Stephens
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
OK..thanks for the reality check. I'll wait until everything is spruced up on the four door SW I have now, then I'll look for a PU.

I'm 6' 260lbs, so what a probably need in a PU is the coupe body with the PU bed.

I keep forgetting my own experience and the words of Jay Leno...buy someone else's finished project and save thousands of dollars and thousands of hours work.

Thanks again.