Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #41
hardtimes

Default Re: Babbitt bearing inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Hardtimes;

Thanks for the response.Well I do not have full pressure or full oil filter system . I still have the splash system with one of those sometimes oil filters.I will keep my fingers crossed and not push the engine and hope she holds up.Or I could pull the engine and have it modified to full oil pressure with inserts in rods and inserts in mains and add a full filter oil system. I really hesitate doing this it has plenty of power and no vibration. This could fall in the category of "if it is not broke don`t fix it ". Do you know if you can still purchase triumph rod inserts?
Hey Duffy,
Sounds like you have a fine engine there ! Just keep doing good preventative maintenance and have fun with it ! These A/B engines are amazingly sturdy as ford made them, IMO. I think that Henry would have had a heart attack, if he saw all of the $$$$ and 'improvements' that we , his followers , have made to his invention. It is fun to see all the innovations that owners make to run them hard, but still try to hold them together ...on drag strips, at hill climbs and at todays highway speeds !
I don't think that you will have any problem finding Triumph bearing inserts, as the triumphs are still a very popular car. My inserts are TR-4 origin. 'Plenty of power and no vibration' ...is what we all strive for and it sounds like you've achieved it !!
BTW...I'm going to try going back to poured Babbitt mains and rods with full pressure.
Jim B, a real hard engine using guy, says that he runs a poured Babbitt engine at Bonneville. Shoot , I figure if it lasts year in and year out for him...I may as well try if,eh !!

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-04-2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #42
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
Just in case you missed that Mr. Nose, that is Aluminum Alloys, not Aluminum!
Who is Mr. Nose? and what does it mean?
Please enlighten me
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #43
Jim Huseby

As I work with various aluminum alloys alloyed for their specific structural, machining and forming qualities, I used the term "aluminum" rods assuming others on the forum would know I was talking about the alloys already in use for non-inserted rods. And thanks, Pete, for offering the alloy and treatment on the rods you mentioned. I'm very sorry to those who thought I or someone else was gonna try using 1100, and I did apologize in advance for taking the thread too far off topic. I enjoy good and helpful people and info.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #44
J and M Machine

Here is a perfect example of insert bearing damage that can be caused by 1)bad machine shop, "improper clearance", 2)dirty oil, 3) magnetized connecting rods. This was a splash system.
I am pointing this out for the "pro insert" members of this forum as Babbitted bearings wouldn't cause this extreme in short order. This engine has low miles I believe from what the customer told me under 1000, if I remember right.
This was sent to us to do a regrind. This is a new counterweighted crank.

Quote:Again, people talking about something they do not have correct information or experience on.

Well Here are the pictures now what do you say?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8787.JPG (38.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8785.JPG (42.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8782.JPG (34.3 KB, 47 views)
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #45
BlueSunoco

Interesting stuff here.

I'm learning all the time. I do bow to the knowledge of guys like James Rogers, Kohnke, Ora Schwalm, J and M machine------ I wouldn't refute anything these fellows post on here. I've never rebuilt an A motor nor actually plan to, but I sure enjoy reading about all that is involved in it!

Thanks for the pictures and such.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote