Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Rust Converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I used to believe in WD40, till I moved to the coast. In that salt air environment WD40 seemed to encourage rust. Things sprayed with it rusted much more quickly than things not sprayed at all. This may only be because of the salt air, but even since moving back inland I still am reluctant to use WD40 as a rust preventative.
The big problem with the products we all know, love, and swear by, is that they have been made to change their formulas over the years so they most likely don't work as they once did.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Chris in WNC

Default Re: Rust Converters?

when purchased, our unrestored Coupe had light surface rust all over the frame, axle assemblies and the underside of body.
I put plastic sheeting on the garage floor, crawled under and sprayed it thoroughly with Ospho. (Ospho will stain concrete seriously if you don't cover the floor)
2 days later I sprayed the areas with rattle can Rustoleum satin black.
when we sold the car 9 years and 8,000 miles later, the underside had no visible rust and looked great.
it was a MISERABLE & UNPLEASANT job, but it worked.

our unrestored 37 Plymouth had the same light surface rust, but I coated it with used gear oil, as recommended by Roger Kauffman in the Model A News. still not a pleasant job but much easier than the Ospho treatment and of course the oil costs nothing. I plan to use the same process on the 35 Chebby this year, but thanks be to God I have a Backyard Buddy lift now, so that "crawling under" nonsense is a thing of the past.......