Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Dusty

Default Beautiful Brakes 2 the late great Mel Gross way

Just received my drums from Randy Gross(Mel's son) and they are beautiful I sent him my hubs and shoes. He pressed in the hubs and wheel studs and trued the drums. The shoes were relined with bonded linings and if they stop half as good as they look it will be great. I know Mel is looking down and saying good job son and carry on

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Vic in E-TN

Wink Re: Beautiful Brakes 2 the late great Mel Gross way

I have 2 drums/hubs and 4 brake shoes in a box that will go out to Randy today. When they come back another pair will be going his way. I have had good experience with Mel and when he was sidelined a few years ago, with Randy.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
29closedcab

Default Re: Beautiful Brakes 2 the late great Mel Gross way

He did a complete brake job for me. What a great job. I couldn't be happier. Extremely well packaged as well.
29closedcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Randy is a nice guy, too. Takes after his dad.
He also does rebuilt backing plates, F100 steering converions, generators, starters, alternators, distributors and sells new water pumps.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
wrndln

What does Randy charge to install the hubs and true them up (per drum or pair of drums)?
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

I'm not sure, but his phone number is 714-292-8660.

Maybe someone else knows.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Bob/Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
What does Randy charge to install the hubs and true them up (per drum or pair of drums)?
Rusty Nelson
Randy just did my rear drums and charged $35 per drum for assembling, pressing the hubs in and machining. The longer studs were $1 each. Everything came back looking beautiful! Quality work for sure!
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Dusty

I don't like quoting other's prices but this is what he charged me

Drum...$65.00
Hubs pressed and drums turned....$35.00 each
Wheel studs....$1.00 each
Brake shoes relined with exchange $15.00 each

All this with shipping to me was $322.50 I did not send him my old drums and hubs as I had a nice set of hubs on hand. I found them on Fleabay for $40.00 and probably saved that much in shipping not sending the worthless drums.

BTW I have not paid for all of this yet, he trusted me for the labor part until I received the product. So Randy if you are reading this the check will be in the mail in the morning....REALLY With so many shysters in the world today it is nice to meet a Randy Gross and what is amazing is that I have met many here associated with this board

I did forget to mention the way this thing was packed, you thought he was shipping some priceless china. Many parts suppliers could learn a lesson in packing from him

dusty
Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
jm29henry

It seems so great that all of the people agree in today world this is truly rare I will keep his phone number for the future.This is a great post !!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Doug in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Just received my drums from Randy Gross(Mel's son) and they are beautiful
Did you have just the fronts done?

If I were to get just two wheels converted to cast drums, are the fronts the ones to do?

Doug
Old 02-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Dusty

"Did you have just the fronts done?

If I were to get just two wheels converted to cast drums, are the fronts the ones to do?"

Doug, I don't know but my front drums were ruined. I installed the reinforcing bands and the drums needed turned after doing so. I relined the shoes with woven linings and the braking power was much improved. But it didn't last long about 1500 miles.

I pulled the drums and it looks like the linings ripped metal from the drums, it than became in bedded in the linings. This metal than cut into the drums forming deep corn rows in them. I don't know why unless the drums were turned to far

If Randy has a weakness it is in the fact he does not promote his product or his expert abilities much. I found out that he presses the hubs and turns drums only through discussions on the BARN. If I had not discovered this info I was going to get it done locally and that might have been a costly mistake This is one reason for starting this thread to help get the word out about not only a quality product but person as well.

As part of my massive to do list this winter I'm going to reline the rear shoes and hope this gets me through the driving season than next winter I will get the rears done

Headed out to the garage to reassemble my new brakes

dusty
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
"Did you have just the fronts done?

If I were to get just two wheels converted to cast drums, are the fronts the ones to do?"

Doug, I don't know but my front drums were ruined. I installed the reinforcing bands and the drums needed turned after doing so. I relined the shoes with woven linings and the braking power was much improved. But it didn't last long about 1500 miles.

I pulled the drums and it looks like the linings ripped metal from the drums, it than became in bedded in the linings. This metal than cut into the drums forming deep corn rows in them. I don't know why unless the drums were turned to far

If Randy has a weakness it is in the fact he does not promote his product or his expert abilities much. I found out that he presses the hubs and turns drums only through discussions on the BARN. If I had not discovered this info I was going to get it done locally and that might have been a costly mistake This is one reason for starting this thread to help get the word out about not only a quality product but person as well.

As part of my massive to do list this winter I'm going to reline the rear shoes and hope this gets me through the driving season than next winter I will get the rears done

Headed out to the garage to reassemble my new brakes

dusty
Dusty don't dirty that nice new floor
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #13
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Dusty don't dirty that nice new floor
Mitch you don't know the half of it....I have endured the wrath of a furious wife, she still doesn't get it...ITS A GARAGE

I'm going down now to clean

dusty
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #14
Mel Gross

I want to thank all of you for your kind comments. I have a tough task ahead of me as I am trying very hard to be like my dad. He was very knowledgeable, fair and honest. We would help anybody that asked a question about Model A's. He would not accept anything but the best in quality and workmanship. He was a great dad and mentor. He was a 50 year employee of Pep Boys and was mentored himself by Moe Strauss (the Moe of Manny, Moe, and Jack). One on Moe's sayings was" Once a task is once begun. Never leave until its done. It may be big, it may be small, but do it right, or not at all" My dad adhered to this and so do I. I have been involved with my dad's Model A passion / hobby for many years now and have done a lot of brake drum to hub pressing and turning jobs. We do not have unhappy customers, as we thrive to be the best that we can be. Please call me at 714-292-8660 or email me at [email protected] for questions, additional info, and pricing. Thanks Randy Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote