Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #21
SAJ

Default Re: Distributor upper bushing lubrication

Answering Bill W's question, I used to manufacture and market copper/lead/tin and nickel/lead/tin antiseizes. They are good lubricants for infrequent low-speed motion, but not good for sustained higher speed motion, such as a distributor shaft in a bush. To use when fitting the distributor base into the head is a good idea, because the high copper content brands are conducive, so permitting a good earth path for the points into the engine.
No good on distrib. cams either, but I use Moly disulphide grease (assembly and running in paste in my case) here. It is non-conductive and the solid lubricant "plates" onto both cam and rubbing block and should reduce wear here in my opinion. I have no proof of this though.
Happy new year from SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
JBill

Some restorers put grease fittings in the emergency brake lever arm housings, which seems like a good idea to me, even though they're not a "high speed" component.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
dnkcurtis

Terry-NJ, you had trouble with the distributor coming out of the head. I put Anti-Seize on all the distributors I build, covering the lower bushing housing that goes into the head. This prevents the rust build up and seizing in the head.
DRC
dnkcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
DougVieyra

Gold Diger : " Everybody has been trying to out do "Old Henry" ever since he made the first Model T. Not much can actually be improved on the model A . . ."
__________________________________________________ ___

Henry Ford and his Ford Motor Company made the Model 'T' for almost twenty years - each year he made 'adjustments' and improvements to the car. Gradually, by 1927, the ubiquitious Model 'T' had evolved into a much better driving machine, with a great many improvements having been made over the years.

In 1932 Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company made a new car - the famous V-8 Ford. It too, like the Model 'T', had a long ten-year run (until WWII) with constant improvements and break-throughs, as new technology and ideas came to make the Ford a better car.

Our Ford Model 'A', with only four years, had significantly much less time for gradual improvements to take place. Had Henry, and his Ford Motor Company, had the twenty years of the Model 'T', or even the ten years of the V-8, in which to continue improving his Model A, I am sure we would have seen many of the improvements that the 'after market' manufacturers are now making available for our cars - items like the upper Distributor shaft with a lubricating hole drilled in it.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 01-01-2014 at 02:23 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote