Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
columbiA

Default In memory of 'ColumbiA', my Father, Richard Lee

I'm writing on behalf of my Dad, Richard Lee. Everyone on this forum knows him as 'ColumbiA'. I'm sad to have to pass along the news that Dad passed away on Sunday, Oct 13/13 after a brave battle with cancer.

I want everyone to know just how much pleasure this forum gave him. Dad's passion in life was his Model A's, having had 16 of them over the past 60 years, plus numerous other models. There was no greater satisfaction than passing along his vast knowledge to all of you, especially the younger generation.

Although these last few months he has been unable to drive his beloved 1930 'A', he found comfort in reading and responding to your posts - >1700 replies since he joined Ford Barn in 2011.

Dad passed away the same day his Model A was transported via enclosed trailer to its new home with me, his loving daughter, in Alberta, Canada. Dad was happy that his car will be staying in the family and his legacy will remain intact. My Dad and I shared our love of cars and he was proud that his daughter was a 'gear head' just like him.

I've enclosed a copy of the obituary that will be submitted to the Vintage Car Club of Canada, whom he has been a member since the mid 1950's.

Thank you all for making my Dad so happy. As he would say, 'Go out and enjoy your vintage cars!'

I will continue to sign in under 'ColumbiA' to view your responses and ask questions periodically. Dad assured me that the Ford Barn members would be there to support me if I needed any help with the Model A.

Thank you,

Andrea Lee

Walter Richard Lee was born February 7,1938, passed away peacefully after a battle with cancer on October 13, 2013 at the age of 75 with his family by his side. Richard's life was spent in pursuit of his love for collecting and restoring vintage cars, especially Model A's. Along the way he developed lifelong friendships with people who shared his passion. Over a lifetime, people from near and far admired the perfection of his work when his automobiles were on display in car shows and parades. Richard always enjoyed passing on his knowledge to those who shared his interest and could talk for hours about his beloved Model A's. His legacy is on display with two of his vehicles in two car museums in Canada.

"No matter which way you look at it, vintage cars is a grand hobby. And isn't the real test of any effort the pleasure one derives from it? Quote from Richard Lee in newspaper interview dated December 17, 1969.

Richard leaves behind his devoted wife of 44 years Norma, daughter, Andrea, son, Tony and very dear close friends. Although we take great comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering and is now in heaven in the company of those that left before him, we mourn our loss. A man we are proud to have as a Husband and Father will be sorely missed.

The family would like to thank Dr. Biggs, and all the nurses, care aides and staff at Orchard Haven who took such tender and loving care of Richard in his final months.

No service by request. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in Richard Lee's memory to the South Similkameen Health Center - Orchard Haven Hospice (request that donations be directed to Palliative Care) at 700 3rd Street, Keremeos, BC V0X 1N3.

columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote