Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #41
ericr

Default Re: Original Headlight socket & connector hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi,

We all learn as we go & we will never quit learning if we continue to seek helpful solutions to problems.

Bottom line is:

1. It appears that it may be quite possible to be able to put an end to this continuing Model A "Repro" headlight socket problem if one orders sockets from either Mr. Bratton, or any of one's favorite Model A vendors, "providing" that they promise that they can supply the exact same repro sockets as Mr. Bratton, or can supply better sockets than those sold by Mr. Bratton. Really have no idea who has what.

2. After reading so many messages about terrible, repro junk headlight sockets on this Forum & the other Forum for many years, I called Mr. Bratton for his advice, & found that his "latest" headlight sockets worked well!

3. Even though his were available for 6-7 years, with many satisfied customers, appears nobody took the time to report that these sockets worked well.

4. Then after testing & finding out that they performed well, just to help others, I wrote a headlight socket message mentioned above, (maybe number 9,673 or so), just to alert Model A owners with what appeared to be refreshing Good Headlight Socket News.
H. L., not to prolong your agony with me, but the fact that numerous guys have written in to relay various jerry-rigging with sockets, from using soda straws, Dremel grinding etc., seems to indicate that not everyone is selling the Bratton version. And as far as asking any vendor if they carry the quality version....would you like to buy a bridge between San Francisco and Oakland?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #42
H. L. Chauvin

Hi ericr,

Agree with you that after reading many messages for years that there appears that quite a few Model A owners had bad luck in the past with trying to make poor quality Model A repro headlight sockets function properly & I have no idea where they bought sockets in the past.

If you do not have time to inquire & investigate if other vendors may have quality headlight sockets, just try calling Mr. Bratton.

With your offer to buy a bridge, I bought one a few years back -- the vendor was my dentist. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
H. L. Chauvin

In response to Message # 40 above, my original single bulb headlights functioned without any separate "added" ground wire at all; but upon reassembly, with new wiring harness & new sockets, I added new ground wires.

Right out of the shipping box, Mr. Bratton's new, complete wiring harness, with headlight wire connectors, connected & worked great with his new repro headlight sockets. No Dremel tool work required -- I feel sure he tested these components first to make sure that they would work. Might add, his intake & exhaust manifolds from the exact same manufacturer also align perfectly.

Possible Headlight Grounding Tips -- (Just one (1) method):

1. Prior to soldering a ground wire to the new headlight sockets inside the buckets, assemble a headlight with original reflector in the bucket, with headlight wiring, & with headlight socket holder installed to "see" where to place the solder for the ground wire so as not to interfere with the reflector installation & headlight socket holder installation.

2. Cut ground wire about 6" - 7" long to be able to rotate headlight socket holder so the single bulb can be positioned correctly to accommodate correct bulb filament positions.

3. Provide & solder a bullet wire end on one end of the ground wire so it can be connected to standard Model A wire connector. This wire connector inside the bucket can be connected to a bullet end soldered to a longer ground wire running from inside the bucket, through the conduit, & further grounded on the side of the radiator.

4. With single bulb lights, & using the 1930-31 three (3) hole headlight wire plug, one can use (1) hole for bright light wires, (1) for dim, & (1) for the ground wire.

5. Take your time & do it once.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-21-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #44
Nodakwalleyer

Thanks for the reply H.L., much appreciated.
Nodakwalleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #45
H. L. Chauvin

You are welcome.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #46
Marshall57

I have dealt with only 30,31 connecters and had the same trouble you folks are talking about. Not knowing what to do I sent a question to the tech section of the Restorer Magazine, it was answered, and the best illustration was in the Bratton's catalog. The problem I was having was that the part that holds the three wires and connects to the headlight buckets was built incorrectly. It is an easy fix but takes a little care. The problem was that the button ends of the wires did not slide into and seat into the fiber holders, they were sticking out too much and wouldn't let the thing lock together. The fix was to drill the fiber holder just a little to allow the buttons to fit down into the fiber holders, I had to look at the originals to see just how far and how big the holes are to be drilled. When I fixed them all worked as designed,,, no problems again.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall57 View Post
I have dealt with only 30,31 connecters and had the same trouble you folks are talking about. Not knowing what to do I sent a question to the tech section of the Restorer Magazine, it was answered, and the best illustration was in the Bratton's catalog. The problem I was having was that the part that holds the three wires and connects to the headlight buckets was built incorrectly. It is an easy fix but takes a little care. The problem was that the button ends of the wires did not slide into and seat into the fiber holders, they were sticking out too much and wouldn't let the thing lock together. The fix was to drill the fiber holder just a little to allow the buttons to fit down into the fiber holders, I had to look at the originals to see just how far and how big the holes are to be drilled. When I fixed them all worked as designed,,, no problems again.
so you removed the button terminals and the wires going into them to be able to hog out the holes in the fiber holder?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #48
Marshall57

yes, exactly.
but they need only to go into the fiber holder to a certain depth. Also I may have had to use a larger drill but to seat the actual button into the holder,,, this part is critical because you must have enough to make contact but not too much to prevent the connection when putting the part back on the headlight bucket.

In my case the fiber holders were broken and had to be replaced so I had no choice but to use what was left of them as a template.
Also they are cheep, buy a few of them when ordering and if you over do it you can try again.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #49
Marshall57

Also in my case the fiber holders had slots in them on the sides to allow the wire to be fitted into the fiber from the sides so the buttons stayed with the wires. They were good so I didn't have to do anything to the wires themselves.