Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
tbonezart

Default Help with a barn find

I pulled a '29 Tudor body out of my wifes grandfathers barn up in Willows CA after he passed away and have started moving forward with a build. Problum is the frame has rotted in the dirt to the extent that the vin numbers are gone and the plate on the firewall is shot too, AND no title paperwork. Ive found a few places that talk about the numbering so my question is the vin number body specific ( sedan, coupe ) and where can I get a list of these numbers. Story has it that he bought the car in Oklahoma when he and his new wife backed up the few belongings they had and headed to California for a better life. It was used on the farm for years till it finally died and was towed to the equipment barn and left to rot. I know how to file for a lost title but stumped when it comes to the vin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor.jpg (28.3 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by tbonezart; 06-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
tbonezart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
plind

Default Re: Help with a barn find

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonezart View Post
I pulled a '29 Tudor body out of my wifes grandfathers barn up in Willows CA after he passed away and have started moving forward with a build. Problum is the frame has rotted in the dirt to the extent that the vin numbers are gone and the plate on the firewall is shot too, AND no title paperwork. Ive found a few places that talk about the numbering so my question is the vin number body specific ( sedan, coupe ) and where can I get a list of these numbers. Story has it that he bought the car in Oklahoma when he and his new wife backed up the few belongings they had and headed to California for a better life. It was used on the farm for years till it finally died and was towed to the equipment barn and left to rot. I know how to file for a lost title but stumped when it comes to the vin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
Hi,
If you take a look on Mr. Steve Pluckers side. : www.plucks329s.org i think you will find some help..

Per,

Tudor * A 2820 *

Town Sedan * A 4472283 * Orig.never restored.
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Tudortomnz

I know nothing of relicensing an old car in the US but the ''Vin'' is the original serial number of the car which was the engine number / chassis number when the car was new. The only other number which may still exist on your Tudor body is the body number which has nothing to do with modern Vin information. That number [ body] was stamped when the body was welded/built up at the factory & can be found on the floor metal cross member where the front jump seats attach to the floor & will contain letter [s] & numbers.
Hope this gets you started.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
PC/SR

Calif DMV does not care about the body numbers, only the frame number. When you get a frame, use that number. I had no problem with using a substitute frame. Went to DMV, told them I had no papers at all, told them it was a mix and match build, they ran the frame number (after taking my money) then the CHP guy came over to verify the frame number. Don't even get into lost title and such. It was Much easier than I expected.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Banky

Lets talk about your wheel & tire choice first. Really not working!
Hee Hee
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
QGolden

Great story on the car. It would be awesome to have it on the road with such a backstory. Find a frame, they are around, and start there. That body looks pretty good. How are the front fenders? Is the frame rotted through or just rusted over? Maybe you can get a VIN issued.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

When I bought my 29 Tudor without a title, I bought an engine at a swap meet that had the original (not restamped) number that matched the month of my car. My gas tank date is 2-23-29, so I picked an engine number from January or February.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonezart View Post
Without the engine or the frame you have no original VIN.

The Serial number (VIN) was stamped on the engine and on the frame. It's going to be tough to get it titled as an original A through legal means. If you are willing to break a few rules there are ways to do it.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
TinCup

I like the new wheels and tires! Good luck with your project.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
whirnot

These are very state specific. Becasue PC/Sr lives in the same state and has done it, I would follow his advice.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
tbonezart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banky View Post
Lets talk about your wheel & tire choice first. Really not working!
Hee Hee
yeah I see that now, was goin for a low stance...... think I went too far
tbonezart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Purdy Swoft

That'll just make it faster on the take off. Don't forget to paint em yellow!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
400A-64

Years ago when I bought an "A" that had no papers..... I told DMV that I built it from parts...CHP stamped it with a seal and was licensed as a 1970 Special Construction.
The fee was a 1970 value...much higher than a regularly licensed model A.

Find a clear title and go from there...you will be glad you did !!!
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Ross/Kzoo

Almost every state does it different so listen to people from Ca. when it comes to registration and licensing of your car.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
1930artdeco

Hi Tbonezart,

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Model A's. Have you thought about joining a local club? I know of two in your area: Henry's A's and the Acorn A's (shameless plug as I am the VP of the latter). When I registered my car DMV used the number that Oregon had created from the old engine.

Mike