Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
mmindling

Default Distributor Cap rebuild - how to?

Hi, this is Martin in SE Ohio. My question has to do with rebuilding a distributor cap? It is the round cap with the center contact for the coil wire and rotor. This one is a double Ford script for e28. The carbon point is just about worn down and needs replacement.
Does anyone know where to get the carbon/brass part and how to replace the point in the cap?
The original seems to be a press fit, but I'm reluctant to mess with it until I understand how to do the work.

By the way, also found a distributor bakelite body with the single locating pin and the sawed arm opening for e28. Together with a square notched distributor iron body, I'm aiming to put together a complete e28 unit.

One more question is the distributor plate with arm. Have one that has a perfectly flat arm with a riveted ball. However, it has no apparent markings as mentioned in the guidelines (D/S?). Is this possibly an e28 or an aftermarket item??
Thanks for the advice,
Martin Mindling [email protected]
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Distributor Cap rebuild - how to?

MoPar alternators from at least the 60's through 80's have round carbon brushes that should work for the center contact in the distributor cap. Carbon is easy to file to the needed shape or length, and you can use a touch of glue to hold it in the cap.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
mmindling

Default Re: Distributor Cap rebuild - how to? More comments

Thanks Tom. Probably the right way to do this is to obtain the MoPar carbon brush part and then scrape out the old carbon, making a clean seat for the new (with cement on the sides)?? Want to stay away from drills and vises on something as fragile as an old distributor cap.

Further to the distributor iron body: Found the following: a highly stylized A B M C (it looks like that, although hard to read) over the cable opening.
The A and the B look like halves of a broken wheel and the M and C are curved inside of the wheel design. What do I have here?
Also found a possibly unnecesarry or unknown threaded screw hole on the upper side of the distributor body. Not sure what this is for?

Is it correct to say that the upper distributor plate should have a flat arm with a riveted head (no raised portion of the arm) and also a cast holder for the fixed points as an integral part of the plate? I'm finding three varieties in my parts box - Flat arm, but not integral points mounting, and also a Cast Curved Arm, but with a integral points mount. In fact, there's another third one there with A B M C logo but it has a raised section of the arm, riveted ball and screwed on points mounting. My guess is that none of these are correct for e28 (my car A 11739, January 20, '28) but I'm not sure.

Can anyone shed light on my confusion?

Thanks,

[email protected]
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

American Bosh Machine Co. would be my guess for the 4 letters. Do you have a copy of the Judging Standards? The arms should be pictures in there. I have a couple 1928 forged points plates with the integral points block. They are both copper plated. I don't have the early plate with the riveted ball, but have seen one.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Charles Reese

note that the earliest dist. body had square slots for the top plate (later had half moon shape). i suspect the threaded hole you mention is for the oiler

other pix are my VE riveted-head upper plate & oiler

i plan to use Mr. Wesenberg's tip re: the Mopar round brushes but am yet to find any of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg distributor-top-1.jpg (126.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01113.jpg (90.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01115.jpg (89.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00566.JPG (113.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Charles Reese; 09-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
700rpm

Great thread and good info. 5 stars!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Charles, any junk yard or generator shop should have the brushes and would probably give you some worn ones for nothing. Most hardware stores also have a drawer with a brush selection, but they are spendy.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
columbiA

You coul also use the carbon rod out of the center of an old C or D cell battery.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Go to a local "quickie" tune up shop & check their dumpster inventory for dist caps. Man! they're like "TREASURE BINS!" I also check glass shop & machine shop & welding shop dumpsters. Bill W.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Special Coupe Frank

My "new" '29 engine came with a "double-script" cap on the dizzy; how rare / valuable are these ? ( As in, should I not be running it on my non-show car/ driver A ?)

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote