Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #61
Keith True

Default Re: Do You "Save" Parts for a Rainy Day?

I followed a friend into a gas station a couple of years ago,he had a trailer load of A parts.While I was looking his hired man with his other trailer pulled in beside him.He was handling the junk part of an estate cleanup.The guy had hoarded A parts from the 40's on up through the late 70's.There were a few complete chassis assemblies,but it was mostly rear ends,front ends,frames,and engine/trans assemblies.It all had been under cover,but not dry stored.Mostly under barns and open sheds.Scrap was at about $350.per ton for # one at the time,and when he lets the clutch out in his truck he has a pretty good idea of how much he is carrying.He offered me each load for $1500.I thought about it,and decided I didn't need to be spending thousands of dollars to pile up in the yard.He actually got more for the loads than what he offered them to me for.If I took them he would have saved 30 miles of trucking by the hired help.When he is on a cleanup job he has to get in and out.He loads with an excavator and goes straight to the scales.The attorney for the estate did make an attempt to peddle it off to some old car folks,but quickly changed his tune.After a half dozen appointments with some A guys,he gave up on the idea.He needed the place cleaned out and the A guys that looked wanted to pick it over.One group went and marked the engines that they wanted.They were at the far side of the barn cellar,and told the attorney that when the other stuff got moved to keep the marked engines off to the side.That was the final straw.The scrap guy moved in.He could scrap,save,sell,store,whatever he wanted,but he had to have the iron gone in five working days.The man that used to do my babbit work had over 700(seven hundred)A engines stored in his barns.I bought a frame from him once,he sent me to a barn up the road from his place to look them over.He said the selection was small,he had sold most of them but I quit counting at 40.All of his stuff was for sale,but I have no idea if he got rid of it before he died.I was going to take a block up to be poured,Steve Ciccalone caught me in time and told me not to bother,George had died.He found out the hard way,he took a block over to be poured and got the news from the widow.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #62
Purdy Swoft

Year before last, My son in law, Michael, and I , loaded a large tandem wheel trailer with model A parts and hauled them to the Orrvile antique tractor and car show . I took a little of everything such as rebuilt Zenith carburetors, other carbs such as Tillotson, Marvel and others, generators, power house and tube type, A and T cylinder heads, wheels, a 30-31 two row radiator, some of my stone whisky jugs and too much other stuff to list. There wasn't many model A folks there so we didn't sell much. I sold a stack of eleven 21 inch wheels some usable others decorators for one hundred dollars. I sold the radiator and one jug and that was it. I am usually willing to sell some parts if it is something that I have several of or something that I don't want like heater manifolds and other stuff. I won't sell parts that I need or plan to use.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #63
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Ken,
I certainly have not cornered the market on fuel pumps.
You can find and buy them just as easily as anyone else.

No, they are not cores, they are rebuilt. I told you they are rebuilt.
You have no idea what I have, so why dispute me?
Who are you to be "sure" they are cores and need rebuilding? Geez!

"making available good parts to the buyers who need them"
I do make them available to buyers who need them.
Do you need them? Do you have a car for them?
Or you just want to buy my rebuilt pumps at core prices so you can sell them to others as rebuilt? What's up with that?
I understand that is your Business.
For me it is a hobby. I am not here to serve your business.

Anyway, if you want to buy three rebuilt pumps from me, no problem.
They are rebuilt and they are $250 each plus postage.
They have new cad plating, diaphragms, fasteners, springs, screens, gaskets, etc.
I am the person who rebuilt them.

I'll try and post pics later today.

Or you can buy rebuilt pumps off ebay from other people in the range of $225 to $300 each.

Or you can advertise on fordbarn for cores, and probably scare up a few.
Like everything else, they are out there.

Ken, you are a good guy, and I like you, but I don't understand why you are taking me to task on this.
How long ago did you rebuild 35 fuel pumps if more than 2-4 yrs ago they all have piss poor diaframs in them and are considered cores by me.. Im going to have to raise my prices on what i have. Geez i only get $150 each outrite and i feel a little bad on that amount. No wonder you dont sell any ,the price is outragest $225-$300. There are very few of thes pumps out there and i guess you know that. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #64
Roadster62

Wow, at $200 per pump 34 would equal $6,800. I'd rather look at another car or motorcycle in my garage. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
How long ago did you rebuild 35 fuel pumps if more than 2-4 yrs ago they all have piss poor diaframs in them and are considered cores by me.. Im going to have to raise my prices on what i have. Geez i only get $150 each outrite and i feel a little bad on that amount. No wonder you dont sell any ,the price is outragest $225-$300. There are very few of thes pumps out there and i guess you know that. ken ct.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #65
BILL WILLIAMSON

Geez!
After reading/trying to digest, (BURP) ALL this thread, I tend to believe CHIEF was purdy much RIGHT when he always said, "WE ARE ALL CHILDREN IN OLD SKINS!!!"
Bill W.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #66
1oldtimer

Never been to a swapmeet ?!?!, I kinda live at them. I have multiples of things, nos things, good used things, broken things and even things for cars I don't even have!!!!!. The way I look at it is that either I might use it or it's good trading material....until I can't work in my garage anymore, which is where I'm at now.

In the end my girlfriend knows how to sell them. I collect them now so when I don't have the paycheck coming in, I still will be able to have fun (either using, trading or selling parts) working on what I love.

Hi, my name is Dan and I have a problem with old parts, equipment and tools...............

Last edited by 1oldtimer; 08-11-2012 at 07:31 PM.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #67
ken ct
BANNED

You dont have to retract it,i wouldn't buy your over priced parts. ken ct. Good by.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #68
Brobrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttlebuggy View Post
I am or was a collector of parts (hoarder) now I want to find new homes for everything. Any one in SoCal interested?
I too live in SoCal. While I'd love to replace the repro parts on my cars with good original parts, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell which is right for my car. This is one of the reasons I don't go to swap meets or buy parts from estate sales etc. I not only need the parts I need to learn which parts are right for my cars. For example, I've known that the radiator shell on my coupe and the headlight buckets, and conduits are not original. But I wouldn't know the right original parts for the car if I saw them. Maybe we can connect, if we live close enough. But if not, I hope you find the right homes (cars) for the parts you've saved.

From what has been posted here, I'm relieved to know there are still a supply of parts out there. Hope I can connect with someone who has them when I need them and who cares that I get the right thing for my car. I guess that's why I miss Mr. Doyle so much. I don't know if he was an expert, but he wasn't just out to make a buck either.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #69
1oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobrian View Post
I too live in SoCal. While I'd love to replace the repro parts on my cars with good original parts, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell which is right for my car. This is one of the reasons I don't go to swap meets or buy parts from estate sales etc. I not only need the parts I need to learn which parts are right for my cars. For example, I've known that the radiator shell on my coupe and the headlight buckets, and conduits are not original. But I wouldn't know the right original parts for the car if I saw them. Maybe we can connect, if we live close enough. But if not, I hope you find the right homes (cars) for the parts you've saved.

From what has been posted here, I'm relieved to know there are still a supply of parts out there. Hope I can connect with someone who has them when I need them and who cares that I get the right thing for my car. I guess that's why I miss Mr. Doyle so much. I don't know if he was an expert, but he wasn't just out to make a buck either.
I would just go to ford events, look and ask questions. I just bought my first A this year and I've learned a lot between club shows, asking and the internet.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #70
Tom Wesenberg

Attending national meets is one of the best ways to learn about good original parts, and also one of the best places to find those parts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #71
swo4rd

He who dies with the most parts....wins!!!!
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #72
Richard Wilson

The WORST are the hoarders that have all of their parts and collectible cars OUTSIDE in the weather rusting down. I have seen hoarder collections go straight to the scrap yards/garbage dump after the owners death because the family did not want to deal with trying to find someone to buy/sell off the parts for them. To most people our old car "treasures" are just so much junk.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #73
Purdy Swoft

Plastic garbage cans with lids can be used for outside storage when you run out of inside space.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #74
Purdy Swoft

Hulks like this are still purties. I can't store it all inside. Stuff like this make good decorators. If I need something off of it I can still take it off. Deb overheard a deliveryman from the hardware store tell his helper, The junk man would love this place. We love living in the middle of a model A junkyard.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #75
Purdy Swoft

I've thought about makeing something out of this, probably never will. Its been outside at least since the early sixties.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.