Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #21
SeaSlugs

Default Re: ripped off again

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
FWIW: Buyers and Sellers ?

Suppose a totally uninformed widow has a rebuilt and perfect Model A engine for sale on an engine stand at a swap meet listed for $25.00. She says her husband said it ran perfectly; but, she has no idea what it is worth.

After asking, the buyer starts it, it runs perfectly, then the buyer totally dismantles the engine and reassembles this engine in front of her, sees it is 100% perfect, gives her $25.00 and walks off with that crocodile grin that we see so often.

Morally speaking, who could be labeled as the "Ripper"?
I dont know - in my mind it falls under several categories.

The widow situation: Generally they have alot more on their mind than their other half's stuff, some just want a quick sale and dont care what it brings just get it outa here as it is too many memories hanging around.

How I handle it if they clearly have no idea what its worth I go shy of a fair price. Lets say X item is worth $500 on the market any day of the week. I offer $400 or around there depending on condition as I dont like taking a huge advantage of people in those emotional states. If they dont know (in example of an engine) maybe ask questions like did they send it off to get rebuilt or did they do it themselves - most spouses would remember if something that big and heavy and expensive got sent off- still doesnt mean its good but better chance than could be field fresh...

Now if its clearly a guy who won a whole lotta stuff at an auction and is trying to sell it off or is too lazy to research what he has then yea its fair game to be ripped off IMO. If its one of those situations wher eits "waht would you give me" then see below about knowing the value of things.

Generally as a buyer I research the crap out of an item before purchasing so I know a good deal/fair deal/poor deal when I see one. If the seller knows what they have and knows that the CURRENT market for said item is, of course I will try to haggle a little (who wouldnt???) But I always have my top dollar in mind.

Sometimes though like its been said - a pig in a poke can be good can be bad - get better at reading people haha. Majority of the people out there have a terrible poker face when they are lying.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #22
1931 flamingo

Buyer's: Beware ! ! You pay your money and take your chances. JMO

A fool and his money are soon parted. This is just a quote and does NOT refer to anyone here.

Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #23
mshmodela

Very hard reading of folks getting ripped off. One has to be extra careful in buying or selling anything on the internet... My wife sold some items and I would guess 1 out of 10 times the buyers whined and whined... Just to get a freebie... She stopping selling, too much of a pain.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mike,

Per your #22, that is what I was leading to in reply #17; i.e., is it always the "Buyer" or always the "Seller" who is the "Ripper" at Garage Sales, Auctions, Swap Meets, E-bay etc.

Funny part is ......... lots of the "Ripper" buyers are very wealthy people who drive to the Garage Sales in expensive cars wearing diamond jewelry.

Appears it is a mental sickness where some like to show off a $100.00 item bought for $7.50 at a garage sale, or trying to show off while selling the same $7.50 items for $200.00 to some dummy on E-bay.

Agree with all of the above Forum words of wisdom ...... i.e., just be cautious when taking chances with unknown Buyers and/or Sellers.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
I learned lots more early on from that old grouchy "Grab Bag" woman than I learned later in life in formal education;
H.L that all depends on what you were 'grabbin'. Like maybe she had never been picked up by the fuzz!

Sorry to hear about Tom's experience. That's not right for some low life to pull THAT stunt---------------------Honda generator fresh from the Louisiana floods---------------
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #26
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jeff,

The old grouchy Grab Bag lady way back then was in her 80's ...... as 1st & 2nd graders at that time ..... if we would have just touched her, she probably would have stuffed all of us in the Grab Bag.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote