Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #41
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Les Andrews books concerning errors within...

IF, there's ANYBODY out there that' "PERFECT", just try writin' a BOOK!
EVERYONE needs help of some kind. I had to PAY to have my ROOF & KNEE repaired!!! & my ROCKET LAUNCHER, recalibrated!
Bill W.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #42
Mitch//pa
BANNED

the red book says to adjust all 4 brake rods to 51-7/16" to 51-1/2" in length from eye to eye centers.....

service bulletins page 202

says to adjust the brake rods by setting all the cross shaft and pedal adjustments first. then adjust the rods by removing the slack from each actuating lever until the clevice holes line up...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #43
ericr

I would think that inaccuracies involving steering and brakes are rather significant...much emphatic comment is made here about how critical brake adjustment is to safety.

I get professional books at my job that occasionally contain typos or errors and a sticky erratum page subsequently gets mailed to me that one places over the offending page.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #44
Synchro909

Me thinks that even if there are 50 faults found, given the HUGE amount of data in these books, Les's strike rate is pretty good.
There was a song here in Oz back in the 70's, I think that pointed out that you shouldn't believe everything you read. One line went: The things that your preacher is liable to teach ya aint necessarily so.
It caused a stink at the time but it carries a worthwhile message.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #45
Michael M

From George and Ira Gershwin:

It ain't necessarily so
It ain't necessarily so
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible,
It ain't necessarily so

Released as a single, the song was a major Australian hit in 1965 for singer Normie Rowe,reaching number 5 on the Australian singles charts at that time. Also in 1965 The Moody Blues covered the song for their album, The Magnificent Moodies.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #46
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
From George and Ira Gershwin:

It ain't necessarily so
It ain't necessarily so
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible,
It ain't necessarily so

Released as a single, the song was a major Australian hit in 1965 for singer Normie Rowe,reaching number 5 on the Australian singles charts at that time. Also in 1965 The Moody Blues covered the song for their album, The Magnificent Moodies.
Yup. that is another passage from the same song - same message.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #47
lnvmyrick

Steve, Thanks for your input and information regarding the Model A and it's history. I have Les Andrews' 3 books for service, maintenance and repairs. own a 31RPU that was fully restored when I purchased it. I read everything about them I can get. The information acquired from The Ford Barn site has been a very helpful source of comments and hints. Everyday experience along with a extensive background owning these A's cannot be substituted with a manual. Les Andrews is one of these sources. I highly respect his expertise. I've also watched Les's videos on repairs. You all are a credit to the hobby. Please post a "list of corrections " deemed necessary corrections...if you can get enough people that will provide them to you. Again THANK YOU ALL.
lnvmyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #48
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Well said, Tom.

I think it's a bad idea to critique Les' books. There are sections that are purposely left a little ambiguous because there are things that are just common sense.

I find many areas in the book that are well detailed.

Larry
Seems that was kinda the drift of this thread!??
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #49
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Jerry, I do not take this as a chance to beat up on the book or Les personally. Almost every technical book has an error or two, most way more than two. Even the Crown and Barrett books I use every day there are errors and as they are found by someone and reported to the companies we get updates to our manuals. Even I have found errors and reported them and they went up the chain and were corrected. Info is forever changing that is one thing that is constant. We received a shipment of 15 new forklifts last week and although they are the same as the 5 we received last year we have encountered new problems over the weekend. I am sure new info will be generated from whatever we find the problem to be. So far it is eluding us. Rod
Quote this one, not my previous one. The idea is to take a really good publication and make it a really really great publication. Evolution is a matter of continual improvement. Is it not?
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #50
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Just the other day there was a thread on the Barn from a fella that broke a pan bolt by torquing it to 20 ft/lbs...
Personally I don't see this thread as "picking apart Les' work" but preventing someone from making a mistake.
I totaly agree. While I also think everyone that works on their own Model A should have a copy of Les Andrews books, all errors should be made known.. I also agree that if a person thinks there should be more detailed instructions, tney could write them and share them on this forum so we can add this knowledge to our copy of the books. Great job Les! And thanks to Pluck for staring this thread. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #51
fords

I just read the 5 page Thread/Post and agree with all. Pluck did us a service with the thread and Don/WI summed it up. Funny that the 20ft/lbs oil pan gasket was mentioned right away. I remember using that torque value and stopped while on the first bolt -as I thought to myself- this seems a little much. So I used the old torque dial in my elbow and snugged the the rest of the bolts. Thanks Les - all is good. And a big THANKS to the Forum
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #52
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There have been those that have tried to gather and post the corrections that appear in the book. The problem is that there are more then one reader here that think he has god like status and anyone that would say there is a problem with the book is a trouble maker. And other tht know of the problems and are afraid to post them here. Some that tried to help the beginner with the book have been even been threatened with banning by the moderator for causing drama on this subject.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #53
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

It's a great book and all this talk is just busy work.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #54
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
It's a great book and all this talk is just busy work.
Huh?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #55
Great Lakes Greg

Not necessarily an error, but better described as an omission. There is a right and left king pin. As a newbie 15 years ago, I didn't know this and it wasn't mentioned in the assembly procedures for the front axle. Of course I switched them.
My red book is so tattered from use, that I may have to purchase another one. Still the best reference material I own.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #56
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
Huh?
Like I said some, think he is a god and incapable of making errors.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #57
Res731

As a newbie I also appreciate this thread. The biggest area lacking from my perspective is to determine when a part is too warn out. If I were an expert maybe it would be obvious but not to the novice.
Res731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #58
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Let us not expect perfection from anyone. We are not perfect and we should not expect that standard from another human being. As deficiencies are identified we should make notations.
The man has done a tremendous amount of good for our hobby and he should be commended. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-03-2016 at 09:31 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #59
DougVieyra

A great many "How To .. ." books have a page up-front that asks for submissions regarding errors or perceived errors in the text. Most authors appreciate the opportunity to correct errors and improve the next edition. I am sure that Les Andrews feels the same way. Has anyone asked him?

Has anyone compiled a list of suggested revisions? Has anyone heard from Les Andrews on how he feels about possible corrections on the next edition of his great mechanics manuals ?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #60
harleynut

Res731 has a good point.......example I measured the wear on the steering arms, turns out the balls are a about a 30 second out of round. Do I need to replace them or do I just use them. I'm lucky if I put 5 or 6 hundred miles a year on the car
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote