Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #81
dumb person

Default Re: What Part Would You Want to See Reproduced with Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I am forever surprised at the amount of good quality repop parts available for the Model A.
Me too.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 AM   #82
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Murray capture nuts would be nice.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #83
A bones

Talk of negativity, wow, Model A restorers aren't the masses. We don't need shiny new junk that won't function to toss into our junk boxes. If business owners and manufacturers are savvy then then let them beware of ROI. It comes to this who those responded with votes for a need or desire saw this post with a positive eye. Everything else, including this,,, is bull. I'll not be surprised when this is taken down. Just had to say.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #84
rocket1

I agree with those 28-29 pick up outside door handles,the original I have is brass with a black insert,bought the repros over 30 years ago,still sell the same ones today,no improvement.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #85
partridgekelley

I think the headlight switch would be a real good seller , if someone were to make one that really worked good right out of the box. But the list could go on for miles!!!! Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #86
John Duden

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
window crank arms
early 28 parts (floor mats, brake boots, handles, emblems ect)
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #87
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
This is a great thread.

Interesting facts for you ....

One of the most interesting things that I don't think most here are aware of, is most of the companies that make Model A Parts now, started out as Model A owners that wanted a part to be made, so they made one. Then they made 10 more, then 100 more, then another different part, then 100 of them, then they quit their job and started making Model A parts for a living.

So......if you want a better light switch, or dash light, or whatever, you have choices. Find and original or make your own. Then make some more for everyone else.

Even better, restore the part that came with your car. So many people are way to lazy to restore a part, so they just by a new one and complain about it.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
I think Steve is correct......that some people are lazy, I also think
they want instant gratification (repo parts) and when they don't
fit or work right they complain. I guess that's human nature?

I'm part of the "cottage industry", I used to make Gas Gauge Shields
for the 28's (both styles), Nickle plated and correct. Nobody wanted
them so I don't offer them. (Doug Clayton, you were correct!) I also
make the floor pan plugs for 82-A CCPU's....I made them for my self
and a few friends...

If you need a part, get off the couch and go hunting for a restorable
original...or make it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1848.jpg (76.3 KB, 62 views)
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #88
Tinbasher

Welcome to the restoration of cars. The best car that sticks in my mind over the years was a 1939 LaSAlle coupe that the man restored. Every original part on this car was taken apart rebuild and re-assembled. He couldn't get the correct dash knobs so he had the correct colour plastic cast onto a tube and from this he machined the new knobs including the etched lettering. Every part was like this. A friend of mine use to say "Many cars are repaired, few are restored" . The Lasalle was rebuilt on a farm with a simple work shop and hand tools and alot of time.

The Old TInbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #89
RobertB

One of the most interesting things that I don't think most here are aware of, is most of the companies that make Model A Parts now, started out as Model A owners that wanted a part to be made, so they made one. Then they made 10 more, then 100 more, then another different part, then 100 of them, then they quit their job and started making Model A parts for a living.

So......if you want a better light switch, or dash light, or whatever, you have choices. Find and original or make your own. Then make some more for everyone else.

Even better, restore the part that came with your car. So many people are way to lazy to restore a part, so they just by a new one and complain about it.

Steve Becker

Anyone looked into crowd funding? It's pretty amazing. Check the memory stick for IPads. No such thing? There is now. If you contribute to funding the company, with a chance of being paid back with interest, you get one of th sticks for less than retail.

This would be a great way to make the small parts. Sure the first few hand made ones could cost a fortune, but this crowd funding thing could generate amazing capital, mostly for us hobbyist.

Robert Houston
Old 08-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #90
Richie R

Just be thankful that you can still purchase USA manufactured parts and cars. In two years time Australia will not have any car to call its own.
Ford Australia manufacturing plant will be closed, Toyota's assy plant closed and our own GM division that has been assembling and making body's for US/Canada vehicles into the 50s will be become just an importer.
Our Holden that's been a big part of Australian life will be gone.
Even for a blue blood like me that will be a sad sad day when this company's manufacturing plants will be gone. 150 or so years of manufacturing everything from horse saddles, horse coaches to even FORDs in the model T days.
Even if a USA manufactured part is double in price I would seriously still buy it.
Don't become another Australia and become just a importer.
Richie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #91
jcfimpala59

gas tanks
jcfimpala59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:22 AM   #92
updraught

A right hand drive shortened pitman arm.

Take the current one and give it a short twist to the right ...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:37 AM   #93
LSJUNIPER

All of them...........
LSJUNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #94
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfimpala59 View Post
gas tanks

There are still plenty of gas tanks around that can be properly and completely restored.

BTW, welcome to Fordbarn!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #95
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
This is a great thread.

Interesting facts for you ....

New , much better quality ammeters are in the process of being made . they will done later this year. They will cost more then the current $9 ones.

1928-1929 pickup door latches have been made now for several years, in New Zealand. They were OK quality, but not perfect.

Last week, another company started making them as well. Much better quality, and about the same price. The first company that came out with them a couple years ago will likely never sell another, since a better one is now being made.

Patch Panels- Seen several complaints about them. Most patch panels (cowl, 1/4 panal etc) are currently being made by 4 different companies. Some are good, some are not. Those guys complaining about them likely purchased (unknowingly ) the bad ones.

Shocks- Many $$ are being spent right now, to have them made overseas, since many are not interested in Bill Stipes shocks due to the cost. they will be done this year or next year.

Bottom line- For something to be reproduced, as indicated here before, it take lots of cash , time, and planning.

Also , think about this. We sell 2 different 1930-1931 Hub Caps. Both are stainless on the outside, and steel on the inside (2 piece construction), not the cheap 1 piece ones. the Taiwan one sells for $9. the perfect USA one sells for $27. In our store, every time anyone wants to buy any, we show them both to them. Side by side. Tell them one is USA made, and one is taiwan made. 95% of the time, they buy the cheap one, even when I tell them they are hard to make tight in the wheel.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
Isn't that the truth!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #96
Mikeinnj

F r o n t F e n d e r s !

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 05-09-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: sp.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #97
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Yes, but will folks really pay for a good quality fender, --or a new gas tank? If the price of a quality new front fender (--good enough to pass Fine-point Judging) were $1,500.00 a piece, how many people would honestly pay the price? Same thing about gas tanks. If a new tank were 1,000.00, would they sell like hot cakes --or would only a few step-up and pay? Now before we all answer, think about how many people have said if only someone made good quality shock absorbers, ....

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #98
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes, but will folks really pay for a good quality fender, --or a new gas tank? If the price of a quality new front fender (--good enough to pass Fine-point Judging) were $1,500.00 a piece, how many people would honestly pay the price? Same thing about gas tanks. If a new tank were 1,000.00, would they sell like hot cakes --or would only a few step-up and pay? Now before we all answer, think about how many people have said if only someone made good quality shock absorbers, ....
yeah I think you hit the nail on the head. BTW, do you think that 1,000.00 could even represent a fair retail price for that repro gas tank? That sounds low to me......
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #99
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Enough people to make it happen and a great quality USA Made Bill Stipe shock absorber is now available to all.....and they are selling like hot cakes !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #100
Tom Wesenberg

Ammeters that look and fit like originals, instead of being loose in the hole.

Also how about instrument panels that are nickel plated instead of chrome, and have the mounting holes in the right location.

Also 29-9 door inside handles and window cranks that are nickel plated instead of chrome.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote