Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default Metal timing gear noise

It would seem to me that if you are using a metal timing gear you should go heavy on the grease under the timing gear cover?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Metal timing gear noise

The Model A has a Niagra Falls of oil deluging the timing gears at all times. You need not take any special action; as has been reported here by many the metal gears are surprisingly quiet. In fact, way more quiet than the Model A engine itself.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I use grease to coat the gears during assembly, but as tbird said, the flood of oil will soon wash it off when the engine is started.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I use grease to coat the gears during assembly, but as tbird said, the flood of oil will soon wash it off when the engine is started.
Good to know
Old 12-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
KGBnut

I switched to an aluminum gear from Bratton's when my fiber gear broke. I noticed absolutely no increase in noise. It may have even been quieter.

Ken
Old 12-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
RUNNERBUN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Because I do a lot of long distance driving I decided to go with the Aluminium cam gear despite reading of many warnings about the noise that they can generate. I replaced both the Cam and Crankshaft gear at the same time using the standard size.The fit was perfect with correct backlash and I hav'nt experienced any noise whatsoever from the gears. I strongly recommend changing both gears at the same time.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Because I do a lot of long distance driving I decided to go with the Aluminium cam gear despite reading of many warnings about the noise that they can generate. I replaced both the Cam and Crankshaft gear at the same time using the standard size.The fit was perfect with correct backlash and I hav'nt experienced any noise whatsoever from the gears. I strongly recommend changing both gears at the same time.
I don;t want to remove the crank gear only replace the cam gear with aluminum or bronze do you think I will have a problem getting a proper fit?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Chuck Sea/Tac

I don't know exactly, but starting points would be how much backlash do you have now? Is it a standard gear now? Probably is because of your mileage, which I think you said in a previous post as 40,000 ish.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Nobody can guarantee that there will be no noise no matter what gears that are used. If the cam bearings are worn in the block or the main bearings have been filed to remove slack and the backlash isn't perfect you still may get some noise. If the gears aren't matched and the backlash isn't correct you run the risk of some noise even if both gears are installed. Can you measure the fit of the gears ??? Chances are more than likely that it is already noisey. These engines came with split skirt pistons that were noisey . I would bet that the wrist pins and cylinders have some wear that will give some noise . As you have been told, these old engines aren't the quietest. If you don't notice any of these things, its not likely that you will notice a faint noise that an 81 year old engine might make if the timing gears have a bit more than perfect backlash . One thing for sure is if you install a fiber gear it won't be long before it strips. Many of us have told you several times that we have installed just a metal cam timing gear aluminum or bronze and didn't detect any more noise. Some have installed a metal gear in an engine that no doubt was noisey any way and then wanted to blame the gear maker . If you are expecting a perfect engine, go ahead and pony up for a complete rebuild that will cost several thousand dollars and be done with it. Chances are good that you may still notice some little noise, tick whine or oil leak to fret over. The warranty usually isn't over 90 days and we often hear complaints and pictures of failed babbit work and scored cylinder bores . Forty thousand miles is a lot on these old engines. When I worked at Chevrolet dealerships in the 60s many engines needed an overhaul between forty and fifty thousand miles . Engines and lubricants have come a long ways since those days . I remember when Chrysler corp. came out with the fifty thousand mile warranty and most of the older mechanics said that would never work

. We all must make our own choices. You can probably install a metal cam gear and get more service out of the old engine but nobody is going to guarantee that it is going to be perfectly quiet .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #10
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Judging by your endless repetitive questions and fretting, I suspect you are going to be dissatisfied and "have a problem" no matter what you decide to do.
Endless questions? It seems that the more question I ask the greater the variety of answers I get. You know nothing about me. I will be happy to see this car run. I am delighted with all the progress I have made understanding this wonderful car. People like you take all the joy out of things...I will ask you not to comment about me or my car.

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-27-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:39 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I don;t want to remove the crank gear only replace the cam gear with aluminum or bronze do you think I will have a problem getting a proper fit?
I can't see how a fiber gear could wear down the crank gear that much. I replaced my fiber gear about 10 years ago after 20 years since a rebuild. I had no problems. I doubt you will.

I can see a need for a different size gear after a babbit job if the boreing is off a little.

Worst case you replace the gear and find out you need another.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I can't see how a fiber gear could wear down the crank gear that much. I replaced my fiber gear about 10 years ago after 20 years since a rebuild. I had no problems. I doubt you will.

I can see a need for a different size gear after a babbit job if the boreing is off a little.

Worst case you replace the gear and find out you need another.
Thank you... For you wisdom. You brought a new reason to replace with a new fiber gear....wear on the crank gear. Great insight.
Whatever gear I replace it with, I will hand crank carefully to see if the gears are binding or too loose and replace accordingly.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
rocket1

Let us be civil,it is a question and answer forum,no personal attacks please.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
FrankWest

I imagine Aluminum is the best choice If one wants to use metal and not choose to replace the crank gear. It is less than 1/2 as hard as the steel making up the crank gear. So even if the initial fit is tight. The aluminum would be subject to wear from the steel crank gear till the fit is right?
If you wanted to use a steel cam gear then you would have to start with a perfect fit.
I think Dan McEachem responded in this post that. A fiber can gear will eventually be worn down by a poorly fitting crank gear.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Gears wear no matter what the composition. its not likely that it will be tight unless you install a too large oversize cam gear. The fit will be looser and it is not possible to say how much without proper measurement. Proper measurement won't necessarily be easy without experience and proper equipment. Fiber gears can wear metal crank gears. Rope seals wear crankshaft pulleys , neoprene seals wear grooves in water pump shafts and axles. Timing gears wear after years of wear and strain against the teeth. The valve springs hold tension against the teeth of the gears as the engine turns and wear does occur. A fiber timing gear may last many years if the car is seldom cranked up or driven.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I imagine Aluminum is the best choice If one wants to use metal and not choose to replace the crank gear. It is less than 1/2 as hard as the steel making up the crank gear. So even if the initial fit is tight. The aluminum would be subject to wear from the steel crank gear till the fit is right?
If you wanted to use a steel cam gear then you would have to start with a perfect fit.
I think Dan McEachem responded in this post that. A fiber can gear will eventually be worn down by a poorly fitting crank gear.
Hey Frank,
FYI, unless the STOCK ford crank gear has been replaced with a McEachern STEEL type crank gear, the crank gear will be IRON (nodular).
You can test your crank gear to see if it is still iron, by using you pocket knife to cut/chip off a piece of the gear. You will NOT be able to chip the steel crank gear by McEachern !
Now when you determine that you have a possible 80 some year old crank gear, you will have to make a decision about worn gear running on new gear.
The decision (metal vs fiber cam gear) is EASY if you take a moment to consider all the work/money/time that is involved and how many times does a fellow want to engage in this activity .
The decision to also replace BOTH cam and crank gears is also easy when you consider running a worn iron crank gear against any new cam gear vs running a new steel crank gear against a new matched metal cam gear !

Good luck

BTW...no grease !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (66.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 12-27-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: pic...i.e.-proof in Christman pudding, eh !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote