Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
flatheadv8

Default Powder coat wheels - color code #

I am looking to have my wheels powder coated on my 39. I believe it is Jefferson Blue. Does anyone have a P/N for a powder coat that matches the Jefferson Blue? Once again here is a pic of my car. I am thinking it is Jefferson Blue, or is it Washington Blue? It was originally black.

It is tough to determine color as it changes so much with lighting. Regards, Jeremy
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
325w

Default Re: Powder coat wheels - color code #

Drive down to the powder coat guy and use his charts to compare colors.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

You have 2 options. I chose to powder prime my wheels and then paint them with the same urethane paint that is on the car. For a fee (expensive when I checked) you can have powder mixed to match a known modern paint code. This was offered to me by my powder coater who does suspension parts for PACCAR ( the company that makes Kenworth trucks). The toughness of good powder coat finishes comes from not only the color but the superior powder primer which is baked just like the color coat.

I have posted this before but there are 2 kinds of powder and the more expensive epoxy powder is not used by the cheaper coaters out there and they often don't use powder primer. Always ask the question if the coater you use does a powder prime step and ask if the powder is epoxy or styrene or some other less tough powder.
It costs more to get good tough powder coating. The cheap guys have given this industry questionable results.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
35fordtn

Back when I was doing my own powder coating I used Columbia coatings. Likely you can call them and get a swatch set, or Find a company that has a RAL powder sample set. If I could ever find mine I would lend it to you.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
TJ

Go here for a wide range of colors; www.advanced-metal.com/colors.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
flatheadv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
You have 2 options. I chose to powder prime my wheels and then paint them with the same urethane paint that is on the car. For a fee (expensive when I checked) you can have powder mixed to match a known modern paint code. This was offered to me by my powder coater who does suspension parts for PACCAR ( the company that makes Kenworth trucks). The toughness of good powder coat finishes comes from not only the color but the superior powder primer which is baked just like the color coat.

I have posted this before but there are 2 kinds of powder and the more expensive epoxy powder is not used by the cheaper coaters out there and they often don't use powder primer. Always ask the question if the coater you use does a powder prime step and ask if the powder is epoxy or styrene or some other less tough powder.
It costs more to get good tough powder coating. The cheap guys have given this industry questionable results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Back when I was doing my own powder coating I used Columbia coatings. Likely you can call them and get a swatch set, or Find a company that has a RAL powder sample set. If I could ever find mine I would lend it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Go here for a wide range of colors; www.advanced-metal.com/colors.
Awesome tips! Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I will be sure to ask about the powder primer and epoxy vs. styrene powder.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:43 AM   #7
Capn John

Here's the paint codes for JEFFERSON BLUE. You can also find other colors there.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...DE1217&rows=50
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
glennpm

Hi,

I was curious about this ability to match paint to powder. There are some specialty companies that will create a custom match for you. In the process of searching this morning I came across a couple of interesting sites that may help. The first link has some great references in it.

http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=70

From this page I found a site that helps in finding closest matches based on the RGB makeup of the paint. I looked up "Ford Jefferson Blue" and found that the RGB code is 373c48. http://encycolorpedia.com/373c48

I then went to the link below, entered this code and picked PPG. This shows what is available from them. Match #1 is very close. Not sure if even though it is PPG, whether it is powder or just paint that is available from them.I know that RAL is a big supplier but didn't find a close enough match.

http://www.easyrgb.com/index.php?X=SEEK#Result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color Matching.jpg (37.3 KB, 6 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
flatheadv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Hi,

I was curious about this ability to match paint to powder. There are some specialty companies that will create a custom match for you. In the process of searching this morning I came across a couple of interesting sites that may help. The first link has some great references in it.

http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=70

From this page I found a site that helps in finding closest matches based on the RGB makeup of the paint. I looked up "Ford Jefferson Blue" and found that the RGB code is 373c48. http://encycolorpedia.com/373c48

I then went to the link below, entered this code and picked PPG. This shows what is available from them. Match #1 is very close. Not sure if even though it is PPG, whether it is powder or just paint that is available from them.I know that RAL is a big supplier but didn't find a close enough match.

http://www.easyrgb.com/index.php?X=SEEK#Result

Holy smokes...impressive detective work! Very cool! I talked with my buddy at the powder coater and he has the RAL color chart. We took a look and were considering RAL 5011. They look to be pretty close to the paint on my skirt. I will take another look at the RAL 5008. Should have a sample next week. He had to order the powder. I will post pics and number when I get a match.

Once again, I appreciate the great info from everyone! Jeremy
Old 04-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
flatheadv8

Used the sites mentioned above for the Ford Washington blue as well and it also recommends the RAL 5008 and RAL 5011. On the right track. Will post results from the powder coat samples. Cheers!