Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Austinwagonco

Default 1947 ford 1 1/2 ton truck road trip

I put this phrase in the thread search and came up with no results so I ask an open question....has anyone ever took a drive of 100 miles one way with a truck like mine? If yours is much older or up to '53 feel free to share, but I suppose V8 specific are what I'm looking for. I'd like to know any issues that may have came up that doesn't make itself known driving short distances or just around town. I'd like to make a trip to War Eagle Mill (if any of you know of that place) via 23 hwy and from my area it's mostly going uphill. So if you have a little bit of free time, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

Thanks
Austin
Austinwagonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Fordestes

Default Re: 1947 ford 1 1/2 ton truck road trip

Where you coming from ? I have lived here all my life and never heard of war eagle mill, I am always learning the names of smaller towns, like Porum, slapout , Oiltown , Picher, Witcher etc. it would interest me to know, as for driving a ton and one half if it is empty bet on a rough slow ride, if it is loaded not quite as rough slow ride, I have a ton and a half sitting in my driveway now right next to the stage coach, the stage rides better. the up hill wont probably be too bad if the old truck has a good cooling system, you can use Georgia overdrive down hill. but remember don't take it out of gear if you use Georgia overdrive you will be asking for a crash as it would be doubtful if you can get her back in gear Just clutch it an let her roll down keep it in atleast 3rd gear if coasting down the brakes may give way and we do not have runaway exits here in Okla. sounds like you are in the south eastern part of the state.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
4t8v8

I live in the area of War Eagle Mill and am very well familiar with HWY 23. Take plenty of time and bring a lunch.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

for many years I drove a 46 1-1/2 tonner to flea markets within 150 miles, it was also our storage for the wares, about a 2 ton load

it had the 2 speed rear

after a couple of years I put a 49 Merc engine in, that did wonders, had the dual pump with the vacuum booster so the wipers worked pulling a load uphill

driven under 60 it got 15-16 mpg with the load

It was sold to a guy that bought an airplane in New York and needed to take it to California, ---upon his arrival in california he called to say what a good truck it was, the trip took 4 days, 2 quarts of oil and averaged 15 mpg
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
41panelmark

During the summer months I head up to visit friends and an occasional parade in mine, this puts me at 30 to 50 each way. When I get the new engine in I will do more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rainy day 2 (800x451).jpg (178.8 KB, 46 views)
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
1952henry

I drove a 49 coe about100 miles one way. Fellow I worked for in HS bought one that had sat for awhile at an auction. It had been fired up so it started at the sale. We changed oil and coolant, topped off the master cylinder and off we went. No problems.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
FireEngineMike

The western NY region of the Early Ford V-8 org is hosting "Fording Around the Finger Lakes" in July 2016. I am trying to convince myself to drive my 1940 1-1/2 ton panel fire engine, although the daily drives of 49, 76, 87, 75, 83, 115, and 48 miles scare me. The most I've driven in one shot is 22 miles. So I am very interested in what people say.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
Ross F-1

I've taken lots of long trips in my truck, but it's a half-ton'er. The thing that I wanted to point out about long trips is that you'll be refueling a lot more than when you just do short trips. It has a tendency to stir up a lot of junk from the gas tank, causing fuel pump and carb problems. Make sure you have plenty of filters and as clean a tank and lines as you can get.

I know guy with an F-4, completely stock. He's taken a couple of 250 mile trips in mountainous country, no big issues.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
banjoQ

I have driven my 36' half ton 50-60 mi. quite often. Drive it up the coast to S.F. and all around. No problem, even in the steep hills of S.F. My only issue is that it takes me a bit longer to get anywhere. I usually take the surface streets and two lane highways so as not to be in the way. As long as time is not a factor, its ready to go anytime. If it's in good enough shape to drive around your hometown it's going to be fine for the longer drive. Thats my opinion anyway. Take tools and a phone just in case. Have fun and enjoy.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #10
GB SISSON

I recently ran my '47 2 ton about 50 mile round trip towing my pig roaster to a wedding venue. I have a 2 speed rear axle but keep in mind the second speed is lower than normal, not overdrive. Did just fine but I have an aluminum boat tank under the bed that I got at a salvage place and it's new. I also have 12 v and an alternator. My '47 tonner panel is 6 v pos ground and it never gives me trouble either. If you have the truck reasonably fixed up there's no reason distance will hurt it. Ol Henry has our same basic gear and drives 500+ miles a day without even thinking about it. We can't go as fast as him, but rpms are rpms.... I say enjoy the ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3027.jpg (56.1 KB, 9 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
nospartsman
BANNED

The real problem is not your truck or its reliability, it's today traffic that you will be fitting into. Modern car or antique , I am frequently drafted like it was a NASCAR race. Most traffic is 10-20 MPH over the limit and they have no clue about the laws of physics. Directionals with flashers not a bad idea. I wish you a safe and successful trip.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineMike View Post
The western NY region of the Early Ford V-8 org is hosting "Fording Around the Finger Lakes" in July 2016. I am trying to convince myself to drive my 1940 1-1/2 ton panel fire engine, although the daily drives of 49, 76, 87, 75, 83, 115, and 48 miles scare me. The most I've driven in one shot is 22 miles. So I am very interested in what people say.
Hi Everyone, FireEngineMike, one bonus with that plan, there will be experienced mechanics on the tour with you.

Touring and driving in general is what I like to do best with my car. I'd be on that tour with you but my guys are hosting the event in August in Gettysburg and I can't get both blocks of time off work.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
Joe777

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone, FireEngineMike, one bonus with that plan, there will be experienced mechanics on the tour with you.

Touring and driving in general is what I like to do best with my car. I'd be on that tour with you but my guys are hosting the event in August in Gettysburg and I can't get both blocks of time off work.
Where can I see more info on the Gettysburg event? My 1.5 ton might be on the road by then and Gburg isn't too far for me. Thanks.
Joe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospartsman View Post
The real problem is not your truck or its reliability, it's today traffic that you will be fitting into. Modern car or antique , I am frequently drafted like it was a NASCAR race. Most traffic is 10-20 MPH over the limit and they have no clue about the laws of physics. Directionals with flashers not a bad idea. I wish you a safe and successful trip.
Orcas Island is something like 75 sq miles. Highest speed limit is 40 mph. I have lived here 38 years and yes, certain things about living on an island are a pain in the neck, but it does allow one to use the old trucks in a setting very similar to what they were designed for. Some places are an hour's drive apart. It is quite mountainous and a lot of winding roads. 90 percent of my work is here and I have a modern '92 truck for mainland trips. This post made me feel quite fortunate about where I get to live and work.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
mhsprecher

For me, the primary question is the overall condition of the truck? The gas tank suggestions are good. Are all the wheel bearings in good shape and well greased? Brakes in good shape? How about the tires?

I once had a 54 3/4 ton with very heavy springs on the back. I used to take that anywhere and load it up with firewood to the top of the cab and it never let me down.

When I was in college in a rural area in the early 70's, farmers would bring their old grain trucks out at harvest time. The distances weren't great, but you would see all manner of things on the road, including a circa 1934 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck that I would see fairly often.

There is a guy near me who has a 1930 AA and I see him puttering around a good bit. Last year he took it the 35 miles or so to the show our club puts on every year. I am sure it was a leisurely trip.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #16
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe777 View Post
Where can I see more info on the Gettysburg event? My 1.5 ton might be on the road by then and Gburg isn't too far for me. Thanks.
Hi Joe777, I'm delighted you asked. Read more here: http://clubs.hemmings.com/nationalca...al%20Meet.html

Here's a meet announcement thread. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170620

Even though this thread spiraled out of control, there is a lot of meet coverage from when we did it in 2014. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...2543&showall=1 Towards the end are photos of the famous battlefield.

Certainly hope you'll consider visiting us. Gettysburg is an amazing place to be.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #17
Joe777

Thanks for the info!
Joe777 is offline   Reply With Quote