Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2021, 04:26 PM   #21
JOHNCL

Default Re: Marvel Mystery Oil in Crankcase

MMO has the property of climbing the sidewalls of a metal container. According to a recent story about MMO in Rodders Journal, that is why it is sold in plastic containers. I have used it to help loosen rust-stuck threads and i have used it to loosen sticking valves (on the engine stand).
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #22
JKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Every time a discussion about MMO is posted, many claims of the goodness it does for a motor come up. However, not once have I seen any proof of those hearsay claims. So for those who say MMO has any value in the gas tank / in the crankcase, lets see the proof.
You are absolutely right. There is no proof and I doubt anyone here has the inclination or resources to finance a study on it. I don't use it in the engine, but I do add a little to the gas. I think there is probably a 95% chance that it's snake oil (or mystery oil!), but I feel better about using it and mixing a little in the gas won't hurt anything.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #23
Synchro909

I've never even seen MMO but to me, this looks like a good way to increase sales. Even if we could get it, I don't think I'd put it in the oil.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:17 PM   #24
Model A Ron

Sound like some show MMO a lot of love and some a lot of hate. I myself am still unsure about using it in the crank but as for the gas I will continue to use it. I see only benefits and no harm in the gas.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #25
noboD

It would be pretty silly to take an engine apart that has a rattle or sticky valve to take pictures for the nay sayers. Then reassemble to put in MMO just to show you it cleaned like we say it would. If you don't believe don't use it. The original question was whether anyone used it in the crankcase.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #26
dlfrisch

I needed a motor change (big block Ford) in my business lift truck. I found a motor ln a retired truck at a business farm house. I bought the truck for the engine. My men pulled it out from behind a barn or shed, through a deep snow. Pulling it down the road, it did start - wow, it proceeded to knock and bang. Not sure what to do, I filled the crank case with MMO, and put some in the fuel tank. Started it and ran it for few minutes - it stoped knocking and ran AOK. I had it put in my lift truck and we had a lot of work time on that engin.
Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #27
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I needed a motor change (big block Ford) in my business lift truck. I found a motor ln a retired truck at a business farm house. I bought the truck for the engine. My men pulled it out from behind a barn or shed, through a deep snow. Pulling it down the road, it did start - wow, it proceeded to knock and bang. Not sure what to do, I filled the crank case with MMO, and put some in the fuel tank. Started it and ran it for few minutes - it stoped knocking and ran AOK. I had it put in my lift truck and we had a lot of work time on that engin.
Dave
So you filled the crank with 100% MMO?
Old 03-30-2021, 05:22 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Sound like some show MMO a lot of love and some a lot of hate. I myself am still unsure about using it in the crank but as for the gas I will continue to use it. I see only benefits and no harm in the gas.
If you want something to be beneficial, then carry a packet of the synthetic 2-cycle oil and mix in a pack designed for mixing with gasoline when you fill up. None of us would ever question using a 2-cycle oil mixed with gasoline in our string trimmers or chainsaws for lubrication, ...however I sure would not chance my machines using MMO with gas to provide my engine's lubrication!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #29
rotorwrench

Marvel Mystery Oil may have been a mystery back in 1923 when it was first sold as an engine cleaning additive but it certainly is no mystery in the modern era. It is simply a light oil with a solvent. The odor gives away the solvent in the mix. The stuff is not rocket science for sure but is is relatively safe to use when the directions are followed. MMO is comparable to ATF mixed with acetone and is likely a better penetrating oil than a lubricant but it does work in pneumatic air tools as a lube & cleaner. Air tools don't have to pull a heavy load and need to operate at high rpm so it won't hurt them at all.

I've heard of folks filling the cranckcase with diesel fuel, kerosene, or other solvents for a short run to clean crap out but that practice can be very risky. I wouldn't recommend putting anything other than engine oil in a crankcase for any length of time.
An engine's oil filter will clean enough crap out to do the job if a person follows good maintenance practices.

The Model A, B, and early V8 engines all could have used the benefit of an oil filtration system but it took Ford a while to incorporate a decent system. Screens work but they have to be cleaned and checked regularly with more frequent oil changes in order to be effetive.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #30
Model A Ron

Talking Re: Marvel Mystery Oil in Crankcase

I have 82 Mercedes Diesel that had low compression. Someone told me to put some MMO down the cylinders and let it do its thing for a week. Long story short it must have removed carbon buildup because the compression jumped a lot and has remained strong for years

God Bless MMO
Old 04-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #31
Stage1gs

The reason I use MMO in my fuel tank is that it gets sloshed around and the inside of the tank eventually gets covered with a light coat of oil.. it won’t stop all rust, but it definitely slows it down.
Stage1gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #32
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCL View Post
MMO has the property of climbing the sidewalls of a metal container. According to a recent story about MMO in Rodders Journal, that is why it is sold in plastic containers. I have used it to help loosen rust-stuck threads and i have used it to loosen sticking valves (on the engine stand).
Well it hasn't ALWAYS been sold in plastic containers.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #33
Synchro909

After reading this thread again, I did a search for MMO. Only one or two places sell it and only online from what I could see but at $100 a US gallon, it will stay in the shop.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:49 PM   #34
Model A Ron

Interesting video of what MMO did to a lawn mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tROrnSQX7NY
Old 04-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Interesting video of what MMO did to a lawn mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tROrnSQX7NY
Yeah, pretty scientific, -and we KNOW it is factual because it was a YouTube video. I am sure others will feel the skepticism and testing methods.

I like his comment "We had Eighty-Four PSI-sss." I guess his testing also showed there were multiple PSI readings inside the cylinder!

And, his recommendation is don't use other engine flushes, ...just use MMO. With agendas so rampant these days, you can't help but wonder if Marvel Mystery Oil sent him a couple of cases of their product for free for him to make a video about. Many such content providers on YouTube are compensated for product endorsement which tends to taint the validity of the test.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #36
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yeah, pretty scientific, -and we KNOW it is factual because it was a YouTube video. I am sure others will feel the skepticism and testing methods.

I like his comment "We had Eighty-Four PSI-sss." I guess his testing also showed there were multiple PSI readings inside the cylinder!

And, his recommendation is don't use other engine flushes, ...just use MMO. With agendas so rampant these days, you can't help but wonder if Marvel Mystery Oil sent him a couple of cases of their product for free for him to make a video about. Many such content providers on YouTube are compensated for product endorsement which tends to taint the validity of the test.
Brent
All I said was "Interesting video of what MMO did to a lawn mower" Never said it was scientific but you do make some good points.

As for myself a few years back I put a few ounces per cylinder in 1982 Diesel Mercedes and soaked it for about week turning the engine over by hand every day. The compression went from just over 320psi to near 400. I did a compression test about 10,000 miles later and all 5 cylinders were around 400psi. Now this may not be scientific as well but the fact is it worked for me. Not a spokesman just a witness lol

Ron

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-27-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:09 PM   #37
Pete

Rotorwrench mentioned one of the best uses of MMO and that is in air line oilers for air tools.
It's "clinging/wicking" properties make it good for this.
As far as use in automotive fuel and lube oil, there are many other things that will work just as well and are MUCH cheaper. Nothing at all is the cheapest.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:25 PM   #38
eagle

If you have a twin cylinder Briggs in your lawn mower, you've likely had issues with sticky valves. Run MMO in gas, no more sticky valves. Not all years had this problem, but for a stretch it was definitely a problem, and MMO definitely solves the problem.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #39
Clem Clement

ATF work in the oil/gas?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #40
gfriedr

Just use Mobil One......
gfriedr is offline   Reply With Quote