Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
1963turnerjohn

Default Running without a torque tube center bearing ?

Looking for practical advice from those who have Not run a torque tube center bearing.

Question is - if I do not run a center bearing in my 41 Ford car torque tube - is there any practical negative issues to expect? I know earlier year Fords did not use the center bearing so I’m thinking of removing it entirely.

Reason is that I have had a Skip Haney bearing fail and cannot locate a good used or nos center bearing...
1963turnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Running without a torque tube center bearing ?

Would it have been engineered and added in the first place if there was no reason for it? Ask yourself and answer that idea. Were there other factors causing bearing failure?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

The earlier driveshafts (without the bearing) were actually built-up utilizing a long piece of tubing of a rather substantial diameter, not un-like the basic idea behind current-day drive shafts. When you rotate a piece of tubing at the speeds that driveshafts normally turn, the very physical make-up of tubing resists any kind of bowing or "whipping" in the center of the span. On the other hand, Henry decided that it would be cool (probably 'cuz they're easier to manufacture) to start making the driveshafts out of one solid piece of machined steel shaft material. As long as those drive shafts (like the one in your '41) are, they can tend to whip in the middle at higher speeds if not supported in that bearing. Clear as mud, right? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
deuce lover

Give Fred at Southside Obsolete in MN a try.He might have a NOS one.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
19Fordy

For sure, someone in the Ford old car world has one of those bearings sitting on a shelf.
Yes, they are hard to find and very pricey if you do find one for sale. I am convinced that a modern day encased in rubber bearing could be adapted to fit inside the 41 torque tube. The idea would be to drill and tap the torque tube for several 3/8 x 24 set screws which would hold the bearing in place. A second retainer could also be made and fitted inside the torque tube so that it pressed up against the center bearing. That retainer would also be held in place with set screws. It would be worthwhile to experiment on an old torque tube.The OEM center bearing uses roller bearings thru which the driveshaft slides. It's not a tight fit.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186780
and peruse this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rubb...hrome&ie=UTF-8 and something like this that could be adapted if the ID was correct.
My experience has been that the OEM center bearing itself doesn't fall apart or wear out. Instead,the outer rubber case deteriorates rendering the bearing useless and it literally falls out of place. In the photos below,the big black blob is the dissolved rubber.The metal bearing buried in the blob was still good. I am thinking that there must be a way of making a new rubber casing of the required OD so that the old bearing could be reused. With today's polymer technology perhaps a rubber compound could be poured around the OEM metal bearing ,making it reusable. For instance, the polymer used for making skateboard wheels. It would be fun to try. Last photo is of the tool I made to install the new OEM bearing. Without the center bearing,I think the whipping action of the drive shaft would put extra wear on the needle bearing at the front of the torque tube. Not good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9342b.jpg (61.9 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9347b.jpg (39.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5315b.jpg (33.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5317b.jpg (32.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5318b.jpg (34.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9589b.jpg (54.1 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9633b.jpg (47.1 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9984b.jpg (53.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0039b.jpg (55.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0030b.jpg (53.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0085b.jpg (40.8 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-09-2019 at 10:02 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Gary in La.

A tubular driveshaft will whip if it is fairly long. The Hughes 500 (369) helicopter had a large diameter aluminum driveshaft for the tail rotor drive but at midpoint there was a damper encircling it to minimize whip.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
1963turnerjohn

Well I ended up getting a original bearing so will install - V8COOPMAN made a good point on the differences between tube and solid driveshafts
Thanks fellas
John
Old 10-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Skip Haney sells a replacement - at least he used to.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
Gary in La.

See post #1
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
Skip Haney sells a replacement - at least he used to.

THE important question here would be.....Does Skip warrant replacements (that have gone south) that he used to sell? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
1963turnerjohn

He did send a replacement bearing, though that does no where cover the shop cost to remove rear axle asm fix bearing and reinstall

Given the first bearing failed after 680 miles, I was not about to try again so found an original Ford bearing based on feedback here
Old 10-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
J Franklin

Make positive sure the shaft is straight.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #13
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963turnerjohn View Post
He did send a replacement bearing, though that does no where cover the shop cost to remove rear axle asm fix bearing and reinstall

Given the first bearing failed after 680 miles, I was not about to try again so found an original Ford bearing based on feedback here
My vote is this isn't a problem with the bearing but something else. Skip has given me parts that I didn't deserve just because he was involved in my crisis but not the cause.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
My vote is this isn't a problem with the bearing but something else. Skip has given me parts that I didn't deserve just because he was involved in my crisis but not the cause.
That's a good point Jeff, and also who's to say the "mechanic" who installed the first Skip Haney bearing in the '41 torque tube didn't do something correct, and screwed that bearing up, possibly causing it to fail early.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I am thinking that there must be a way of making a new rubber casing of the required OD so that the old bearing could be reused. With today's polymer technology perhaps a rubber compound could be poured around the OEM metal bearing ,making it reusable. For instance, the polymer used for making skateboard wheels. It would be fun to try.
I'm with you - would not be too difficult to do this . . . just a lot of time involved to make the "mold", etc..
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #16
Planojc

Put a Mitchell in it and the bearing problem is gone, plus you have overdrive.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #17
Charlie ny
BANNED

Just a thought here for any of us with a late '37 to '40 or '41 pickup.......if the torque
tube center whip bearing fails it is quite possible to replace the solid drive shaft' with a '35 - early '37 tubular drive shaft. I bore the fine female spline out of pinion end of the shaft and press in the six spline adapter from the solid shaft. I button weld the adapter in place

and that is the end of that issue. I always keep one of these tubular drive shafts handy.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #18
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in La. View Post
A tubular driveshaft will whip if it is fairly long. The Hughes 500 (369) helicopter had a large diameter aluminum driveshaft for the tail rotor drive but at midpoint there was a damper encircling it to minimize whip.
All of the Hughes light helicopters use the specially formed aluminum type drive shaft. These tubular shafts were designed to be able to flex a bit plus be light weight. The tail booms on the 500 and 300 aircraft flex too with strong tail rotor inputs. They shimmy a bit and can whip under extreme torque pressures so a damper was necessary for these types. Bell's shafts were supported so they didn't need dampers. Robinson uses long small diameter steel shafts but they put a damper in there due to the long length and small diameter. It also protects the couplings on both ends on shafts that have dampers.

The tubular shafts for the early Fords up to 1938 or so were either short enough or well shaped & large enough plus being fabricated from steel, that they didn't need a damper to calm the shimmy that naturally happens with long solid shafts or smaller diameter shafts. Dampers also help protect the U-joints on the shafts that use them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #19
19Fordy

Another torque tube design question:
Question: Would it be possible to redesign the outer hollow torque tube by accurately cutting it in 2 pieces near the location of the center bearing and welding a steel flange on each half such that the torque tube could be bolted together (on center) like 2 pipe flanges? There would be an interlocking lip on each flange for concentricity.. That way you could have easy access to the center bearing, if needed. I realize the OEM torque tube acts like a torques arm for the entire rear end with lots of forces being generated.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #20
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Another torque tube design question:
Question: Would it be possible to redesign the outer hollow torque tube by accurately cutting it in 2 pieces near the location of the center bearing and welding a steel flange on each half such that the torque tube could be bolted together (on center) like 2 pipe flanges? There would be an interlocking lip on each flange for concentricity.. That way you could have easy access to the center bearing, if needed. I realize the OEM torque tube acts like a torques arm for the entire rear end with lots of forces being generated.
A good pipe fitter could do this but the driveshaft would have to be out anyway.That would almost guarantee the next bearing will last longer than you do.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote