Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #21
Brendan

Default Re: Sellers throwing away good parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Let me see if I understand him. He has spent money on a part, stored it, taking up space and now no longer needs it. People need parts to fix their cars and would have to spend money on the same part someplace elsewhere. Why should he give them away? If the parts are worth something then something should be paid and if nobody wants to pay then they are worthless and should be thrown away.

At least that is what I think he is thinking. Is he correct, I don't think so but like hot rodding A's, they are his to do with what he wants.
why not just give away then throw it in the trash

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #22
jhowes

I have to chime in here as I have a problem right now. I rebuilt a 6 cylinder motor for a 1930 Willys with the idea that I would use it. Instead I ended up selling the car and the buyer did not want the extra motor, so now I have been trying to get rid of the motor and no one where I have advertised it wants it. So what to do ? It's certainly worth more than scrap metal and I would make a deal with anyone that could use it but so far no takers. Price is not an issue for me, I just want someone to take it and use it. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #23
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post
I hate people that try to beat you down they have a choice either yes or no I have torn up some good stuff in front of them to let them know I won't be beat down stupid probably but it made me feel good

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
everyone wants a deal, you don't offer a cheaper price when you try to buy something i do, if the guy won't come down. and i need it i will pay up. but to tare up something or destroy it is stupid . so if a guy would not give me 30 grand my Roadster, im gonna cut it up! real smart

Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

I had a Garage Sale, ONCE ONLY.
What didn't sell went into the DUMPSTER!----SO WHAT???----Folks should mind their OWN BUSINESS!!!--NO SKIN off their NOSES!
Bill W.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #25
redmodelt

Bill you are right, to a point in my OP. Why rub it in everyones face that looks at an ad or posting? I have seen posting here before about guys that only wanted to sell everything at once and when there were no buyers because they did not want to deal with selling piece by piece, told how they sold it all for scrap. When there are postings like that it becomes everyones business because it is now out on a public forum. Heck I have scrapped stuff too, but I am not going to come on here and talk about it, because as you said, it is nobodies business but mine.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #26
Bud

Every person who looked at my parts at the MARC meet in Branson wanted giveaway prices. Even at that I sold very little. I sold some things just to make a little money, but I did not like it. I will think twice before I set up at a MARC meet in the future. I think the Branson swap meet was one of the smallest and poorly attended swap meets I have ever participated in.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
why not just give away then throw it in the trash

If you read my post the answer is there. Why should the other person gain use of the parts and "profit" from them and the original owner loses money.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #28
DHZIEMAN

In reviewing some of my used parts purchases, for some of the parts, it would have been best had the seller thrown them away!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #29
oldforder

When we have a garage sale, the leftover stuff is either packed up for another sale, or if it has already been on 2 or 3 sales, and not sold it will be donated to Goodwill or Salvation Army. If it is so bad that even those places couldn't sell it we trash it. Of course I am talking mostly household items, not car parts.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #30
Brendan

Quote:
If you read my post the answer is there. Why should the other person gain use of the parts and "profit" from them and the original owner loses money.
so if you buy your car for 10 grand and a guy offers you 7 grand you are gonna take a sledgehammer to your car, its the same thing, real smart

Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
so if you buy your car for 10 grand and a guy offers you 7 grand you are gonna take a sledgehammer to your car, its the same thing, real smart

If someone buys a car for 10 grand and is only offered 10 dollars then yea, I think they would junk it. They are out the money all the same. This is now the third and last time I will try to explain it to you.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #32
gustafson
BANNED

My this thread is getting rough.
The behavior being described here is simply infantile and small minded. Sure if you own something you can do whatever you want.
Seems tho, few people can overcome that millennial attitude of me first and donate unsellable parts to a worthwhile cause, such as a kid trying to make something of a build. I was taught to think of others before myself, so I cannot get on the bandwagon of justifying this guy's behavior. Clearly others here have been taught differently.
Do you want to be remembered as selfish and ego-centric?
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:22 AM   #33
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Every person who looked at my parts at the MARC meet in Branson wanted giveaway prices. Even at that I sold very little. I sold some things just to make a little money, but I did not like it. I will think twice before I set up at a MARC meet in the future. I think the Branson swap meet was one of the smallest and poorly attended swap meets I have ever participated in.
It sounds as though your pricing was wrong. Items for sale are only worth what buyers are prepared to pay. As every person who looked at your parts thought that they were overprice that suggests that you were out of touch with the market.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:35 AM   #34
Charlville

The few times I sell the odd part on $bay I'm always plagued by folks "winning" the large item that states "collect only" asking for postage pricing only to become miffed when I won't post
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:20 AM   #35
dumb person

I run into this all the time. they're not kidding. Someone threw away rebuilt engines & stuff for lack of buyers.
Quote:
That's waste-st. You're a wasteist.
Waste not want not.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #36
Terry, NJ

I think maybe we all have to grow up a little and realize that the elements to a deal are basically adversarial. Like diplomacy, you must zig when he zags. I've sold a lot of stuff In my time and there are always two sides to an argument or a deal. Clearly, you can't make the buyer feel like a jerk whose being taken advantage of. you can say I want $X for it when he can buy it for less just steps away, and 99 times out of 100, that's just what he'll do. No where does it say he's responsible for your ego strokes. Ideally, you both go away feeling good about the deal. When buying, I probe the sellers price. As soon as the word "Firm" is spoken, I walk away. The guy's an amateur and will probably get mad if I don't pay his stupidly high price or be insulted because I had the temerity to offer less. Screw him, let him go sell it on CL or ebay. Selling presents a new situation with new problems. There is one tactic which I hate, The Double Chisel! You're selling a widget. some wear, but not bad. This optimist calls you up and probes you on the phone, "Would you take $X for it?" Yeah, sure! Come on over! He arrives! "So you want $X for it, I'll give you $Y" Needless to say, $Y is a lot less than $X! I refuse to discuss prices on the phone! Also, Familiarize yourself with loan companies and their apps. When holding up your end (The price) and he starts talking like "All I could get was $X, whip out a Household Finance (Or other) app and tell him that they're really nice folks down there and they'd love to put you on.They either come up with cash or walk away. It's a game! Don't get mad! How about this? I was working with my friend Ritchie one time and this Dude pulls up in a big, white caddy, with a blonde, gold neck and wrist chains and $20,000 in a wad of cash in his shirt pocket! Devastating! He was there to buy! It was a hot day so he left the car running to keep the AC on for the Blonde while he negotiated. His tactic was to fog your brain with all that cash and trinkets while he gutted your price. Every one says not me! But it worked just enough to keep mr Dude in gas and blondes. Big Billitis
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #37
J Franklin

Our museum has a yearly garage sale and I have directed the staff to sell everything. If a buyer picks up an item he/she is showing interest. Prices will be negotiated until that item leaves with the buyer! We do lots of nickel dime selling but usually end with an eight hundred dollar gain for the museum.

https://sites.google.com/site/creswe...ety/the-museum
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #38
vulture

I had 5 model a engine blocks all hot tanked and magged for cracks. I brought them to a number of swaps and no body wanted them . I tried to give them away for free and only one went for free because it was a 28 with extra bearing for cam. I scrapped them along with hard chrome and ground cranks . It’s a shame but how long can you store something nobody wants.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #39
Keith True

Something has changed in the last 10 years or so with selling stuff.I think people are reading postings by anybody and everybody telling them how it is done.I just had somebody leave in a huff that came to look at a Model A coupe I am selling.His attitude on the phone told me it was going to be a waste of time.I thoroughly described the car,and told him that the owners price was firm and not open to offers.I made it very clear to him that no matter what he thought he wanted to pay the price was the price.He said,we'll see about that,I have hundred dollar bills.I had to tell him if he didn't have 150 of them don't make the trip.He got mad because I wasn't impressed at the sight of 80 of them flashing at me.He said,you'll be calling me.I said if I don't sell it in 4 or 5 years I'll call you back.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #40
ursus

I once worked for a fellow that had the word "discount" in the name of his business. He had the lowest prices in the region and did a high volume of sales, but seemed to attract a pushy clientele with the worst manners. When I commented on the latter, he told me that it was his observation that, "when the price is cheap, the customer has no conscience". I puzzled over this for a long time, but have found it to be true.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote