Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #21
mrtexas

Default Re: John Deer Corn grease --- ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
It's thixotropic, see this video
https://youtu.be/7zNhli-J0Gk
Yes, it is a non-newtonian fluid. The viscosity is dependent on the rate of shear.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #22
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
This....
https://www.deere.com/en/harvesting/corn-heads/

Refering of course to the big folded up pointy thing in front of the combine. You could easily buy an award winning woody for what the corn head would cost.

And this is the critter the grease goes into...

.https://www.lankota.com/Replacement-...orn-heads.html
I thought it was someone from Iowa.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
Henry/Kokomo

As background, if anyone cares. . . Harvesters have interchangeable "heads" for harvesting different crops. The heads are large bulky affairs which are detached from the base machine to allow for moving the machine from point to point on public roads. One of the available heads is for harvesting corn hence a "corn head". FWIW
Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #24
Seth Swoboda

This is a corn head. It is used to harvest corn. Mounts to the front of a combine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corn head.jpg (10.5 KB, 43 views)
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #25
Seth Swoboda

You can also use this. I have used it with great results. It is thick as molasses in January but as things heat up it flows. When I mean heat up I don't mean from 20 degrees to 90 degrees. I mean in a machine where there is lots of friction. SO, it will stay thick enough in your gearbox to not leak out. Unless your V8 is on fire of course, then it would leak out.

Your thinking "Hey Seth, if it's so thick in the bottle how do I pour it out you dummy?"

Answer: You warm the bottle up enough until it flows slowly, use a funnel and fill your gear box. Put plug back in gear box, put lid on bottle, steer your V8 with ease.

If you find this leaking from your gearbox, then your gearbox is junk and in need of service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lube.jpg (44.4 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 02-01-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #26
40cpe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
You can also use this. I have used it with great results. It is thick as molasses in January but as things heat up it flows. When I mean heat up I don't mean from 20 degrees to 90 degrees. I mean in a machine where there is lots of friction. SO, it will stay thick enough in your gearbox to not leak out. Unless your V8 is on fire of course, then it would leak out.

Your thinking "Hey Seth, if it's so thick in the bottle how do I pour it out you dummy?"

Answer: You warm the bottle up enough until it flows slowly, use a funnel and fill your gear box. Put plug back in gear box, put lid on bottle, steer your V8 with ease.

If you find this leaking from your gearbox, then your gearbox is junk and in need of service.
That's interesting. I went to the Deere site for the description. If I understand correctly, it seems this Multi-Luber acts just the opposite to corn head grease. Corn head grease is thick until placed in shear, then thins out. Multi-luber is liquid until placed in shear, then become a"thin grease".
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #27
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
That's interesting. I went to the Deere site for the description. If I understand correctly, it seems this Multi-Luber acts just the opposite to corn head grease. Corn head grease is thick until placed in shear, then thins out. Multi-luber is liquid until placed in shear, then become a"thin grease".
I have a bottle, used it in my 39 gear box. It's thick, pours slow and doesn't leak out. My father in law is a John Deere mechanic at a John Deere dealer, I told him what I needed and he recommended this. It works well for me. If you don't want to use it don't.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #28
40cpe

I didn't mean to sound critical Seth. I wasn't. I just thought it interesting that the two are both lubricants but viscosity reacted to shear in opposite ways.

Thanks for posting about the Multi-Luber, I learned something.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #29
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Thanks. Now I know. Although at my age, I will probably forget..
Forget what?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #30
flatheadmurre

You donīt need cornhead grease from deere if itīs hard to source locally...what you need is NLGI00 can be bought from other suppliers...we donīt grow much corn here in sweden...i use another brand NLGI00 with teflon in it works great.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #31
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
You donīt need cornhead grease from deere if itīs hard to source locally...what you need is NLGI00 can be bought from other suppliers...we donīt grow much corn here in sweden...i use another brand NLGI00 with teflon in it works great.
Yes, the NLG100 rating should be the spec you need to source the grease from other suppliers. But we don't grow corn crops to harvest for grain here in Sask. and yet I have no problem buying tubes of corn head grease at any John Deere dealer locally.
http://www.cenex.com/~/media/cenex/f...pds-h9-02.ashx
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #32
1952henry

Most if not all major grease manufacturers offer nlgi 0. If you see cotton instead of corn along side the road, you can see your local ag dealer and ask for cotton picker spindle grease. Any major ag manufacturer will have their own brand of grease. Nothing magical or exclusive about "John Deere" brand.

Last edited by 1952henry; 02-01-2018 at 06:58 PM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #33
40 Deluxe

Modern front wheel drive cars use much the same grease in front drive axle CV joints. Take apart a high mileage one, and that grease is still coating every part of the joint. Even after a boot rips open, they stay greasy for a long time! Buy the stuff at any parts house.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #34
Clem Clement

You can always load the gun by hand.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #35
12cliff23

thanks for the info about co-op having it
can you tell me what they call it, they're my supplier
12cliff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #36
RalphG

Here in Canada it looks like Co-op Flow Rite is rated at NLG 00.
http://www.humboldtco-op.com/PDF/pet...icants%205.pdf
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #37
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
I'm not so sure about this on it's own.

"The NLGI consistency number, sometimes referred to as NLGI grade, refers to the relative hardness of a grease used for lubrication as specified by the institute's standards. NLGI 00 grade grease has a semi-fluid consistency similar to applesauce.
Grease consistency is a major contributor (in combination with additive technology, base fluids, and types of thickeners) to the performance of a grease and how well it will execute lubrication tasks in specific applications.
NLGI consistency numbers do not provide enough information to determine whether a specific grease is applicable to any given undertaking - instead, these numbers should serve as a general guideline and should be taken in consideration with the structural and mechanical stability, viscosity, and specific additive technology of an exact grease."

"Corn Head Grease is a high quality multi-purpose, semi-fluid type grease available in an NLGI #0 grade. Although primarily applied in corn head lubrication, this product can be recommended for many applications in agriculture, automotive, construction and industrial environments.

Corn Head Grease is a carefully formulated lithium 12-hydroxystearate grease with oxidation, rust and corrosion inhibitors, extreme pressure (EP) additives for antiwear and heavy shock loading, and a special polymer to control oil separation during storage. The base oil used is a high viscosity index lubricant which provides excellent stability under various temperature conditions.

Corn Head Grease has superior water tolerance and resists water washout, exhibits good high temperature capabilities and has outstanding mechanical stability by retaining its consistency in hard use."

Believe you would need to know more about a grease than just it's NGLI rating.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #38
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I'm not so sure about this on it's own.

"The NLGI consistency number, sometimes referred to as NLGI grade, refers to the relative hardness of a grease used for lubrication as specified by the institute's standards. NLGI 00 grade grease has a semi-fluid consistency similar to applesauce.
Grease consistency is a major contributor (in combination with additive technology, base fluids, and types of thickeners) to the performance of a grease and how well it will execute lubrication tasks in specific applications.
NLGI consistency numbers do not provide enough information to determine whether a specific grease is applicable to any given undertaking - instead, these numbers should serve as a general guideline and should be taken in consideration with the structural and mechanical stability, viscosity, and specific additive technology of an exact grease."

"Corn Head Grease is a high quality multi-purpose, semi-fluid type grease available in an NLGI #0 grade. Although primarily applied in corn head lubrication, this product can be recommended for many applications in agriculture, automotive, construction and industrial environments.

Corn Head Grease is a carefully formulated lithium 12-hydroxystearate grease with oxidation, rust and corrosion inhibitors, extreme pressure (EP) additives for antiwear and heavy shock loading, and a special polymer to control oil separation during storage. The base oil used is a high viscosity index lubricant which provides excellent stability under various temperature conditions.

Corn Head Grease has superior water tolerance and resists water washout, exhibits good high temperature capabilities and has outstanding mechanical stability by retaining its consistency in hard use."

Believe you would need to know more about a grease than just it's NGLI rating.
Sounds like this...

https://www.mobil.com/english-us/gre...ilux-ep-series
Old 02-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #39
Ken Crans

So if i buy this grease will it replace 90 wt. that's in it? I have headers next to the steering box and cannot get the front gaskets from leaking,Is it thicker and the vescosity of it?. i'm thinking of trying this instead... Comments??
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #40
Peterooster

First remove old grease cartridge from gun. Pete
Peterooster is offline   Reply With Quote