Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
MrModelT

Default Re: '21-'22 Coupe Broken Tranny, and a couple Pics just to please you!

[QUOTE=Jack Innes;423735]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrModelT View Post
A very good friend has a 1909 Brush Runabout.... Its titled as an '09, but I think it is actually a 1911 or '12.

The little Brush motor is the wildest thing. It lost a rod bearing last summer and we are just getting ready to reassemble and install the rebuilt motor.

Was the counter rotating balance gear still under the round black plate on the engine? Most are removed to eliminate a lot of problems. The engine will run just fine without it.

This car must be for cross country use with 2 large gas tanks! You are correct on the fun level in driving these.
Yes actually, the counter rotating balance gear it still installed in this motor. If they can run without it and it caused issues....why is it there in the first place, besides obvious reasons of course?

The rear tank was actually for Water if memory serves, but has a couple of good leaks in it. I think they all had fuel tanks under the hood....

Do have an idea about the year on this little Brush?
MrModelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
MrModelT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Be REAL Mr.T !! There aint no such thing as hijacking here unless yer a lesbian terrorist stealing a Model T truck to plant a bomb with a coil activated mechanism... ws
I guess I don't feel so bad about posting on the little Brush then..
MrModelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #23
Jack Innes

Yes actually, the counter rotating balance gear it still installed in this motor. If they can run without it and it caused issues....why is it there in the first place, besides obvious reasons of course?

The balance gear was there to do its job but many owners have removed it because it tends to go out of balance & amplify that condition. The crank is balanced as well & runs very smoothly. (At least mine does) I had a 1984 Dodge convertible and a 70s Kawasaki 750 that both had counter rotating balance shafts. Chrysler gave me a new engine without one after it went bad & the motorcycle was just scrapped for the same reason. Just a good idea on paper that did not stand up in sevice.

The blue car looks outwardly like a 1911 or 12 Roadster. The Roadster only had the flat top rear fenders, the rear mounted gas tank & the short rear deck. The painted rad shell leans it toward the 1912 Liberty series. The engine looks like an earlier engine but it is hard to tell. The earlier 6 hp engine had a 4" bore & 4" stroke, the 10 hp introduced July 4, 1911 had a 4" bore & a 5" stroke. There should be an engine/car no. stamped on the jug near the spark plug opening. If you find a number I possibly could determine a date from that.

My red Brush shares a big black trailer with a 1914 Model T * right now & they are both great to take to steam shows & such where you can drive them around.

*token model T discussion
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #24
jim galli

Well, my back is broken, and I'm exhausted, but I did a massive cleaning with 2 huge dump runs out in the garage, and the result is that the T is safe inside. I've got it sideways at the front of the garage, and there's plenty of room on the same side for the roadster. As soon as I get an axle under the '31 coupe, it'll go in the other side. Momma's new Passat will have to languish outdoors

I threw all of the stuff that was worth $1 or $5 that I was going to git-around to selling on Ebay someday.......in the dump.

The other Tonopah car, a 1917 touring made into a truck for mining use, fell through. The fellow's son told him not to sell it. Bummed.
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim galli View Post
Well, my back is broken, and I'm exhausted, but I did a massive cleaning with 2 huge dump runs out in the garage, and the result is that the T is safe inside. I've got it sideways at the front of the garage, and there's plenty of room on the same side for the roadster. As soon as I get an axle under the '31 coupe, it'll go in the other side. Momma's new Passat will have to languish outdoors

I threw all of the stuff that was worth $1 or $5 that I was going to git-around to selling on Ebay someday.......in the dump.

The other Tonopah car, a 1917 touring made into a truck for mining use, fell through. The fellow's son told him not to sell it. Bummed.
The "Tonopah car" is a disappointment. Especially if there's a chance nothing will come of it. I guess we can't save 'em all. I'm happy you were able to get the one you've got and it'll be fun to watch and follow the build as it goes. Stay in touch. -Mike
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #26
jim galli

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The "Tonopah car" is a disappointment. Especially if there's a chance nothing will come of it. I guess we can't save 'em all. I'm happy you were able to get the one you've got and it'll be fun to watch and follow the build as it goes. Stay in touch. -Mike
I'll bug them once in a while. It's indoors, so it'll be preserved for someone some time. I never got to see it. The man who owns it bought it when he was 16 years old, and he's 76 now. He said it was just up behind one of the old houses in Tonopah. He never changed it. Hope I get to at least see it some time. Kids! Don't sell it Dad, so when you drop dead, I can sell it. That may not be fair. But you see it a lot.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #27
jim galli

Tonight.......I got absolutely nuthin' done.

Just love J. R. Williams cartoons