Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2023, 12:14 AM   #1
Geokop

Default Leg Room Question

Merry Christmas, Everyone!
I log in here regularly and enjoy everyone's posts.
I really enjoy learning about how these cars work.
I've never even sat in a Model T. A friend of mine, who knows I'd like to buy a Touring car one day, has a drop- dead gorgeous, restored Model A "hard top" pick up truck that he worked on with his dad. It's covered up for the winter so I haven't been able to sit in it, but he says it's very uncomfortable to drive; there's not nearly enough leg room for a tall person, and he's not as tall as I am. It's not driven much because his knees are up in his chest. I'm 6'2" and weigh 190-200 pounds. He says I would hate it (his Model A).
OK, would a 6'2" person require grease and a shoe horn to fit in a Model T? Did Ford cars only appeal to shorter people? I still think a Model T would be a fun, maintainable car, but not if I couldn't fit in it...Yeah, maybe I should find one and sit in it myself. Easier said than done sometimes.

Thanks for your thoughts! I respect your input.

Last edited by Geokop; 12-25-2023 at 02:07 AM.
Geokop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: Leg Room Question

I can't answer for touring cars, but the front seat in a Coupe or possibly even a tudor sedan can be moved back for more leg room. You would have to shorten the package shelf in the coupe, but in the sedan you may only have to move the seat mounts back. Others may be able to help you more.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I am 6-2, have a 17 touring, only 2 issues, the spark advance lever get in the way with the left knee (just use full advance) and right toes would shut off ignition ( put key in upside down)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
Geokop

Thanks, guys, there might be options to make this doable.

I appreciate reading your thoughts.
I've been "fixated" on a touring car so there would be space for my wife (5'2"), adult son (a very fit 5'10"), a guest, and myself. I'd like for the whole family to enjoy the car together.

Kurt, I found a photo of a '17 Touring car's dash, and it does seem like the switch / coil box assembly is towards the floor, where the key could be bumped when applying the brake. Is this what happens with you? On later models the switch is up higher on the dash.

Last edited by Geokop; 12-25-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:32 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

A couple times in traffic I thought that it stalled , then I realized what happened, yes my switch is on the coil box.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 08:17 AM   #6
CatMan1

I am about your build and have a '26 Roadster. It is a bit tight, but not horrible. I can still operate things fairly well. Is it true that the '26 & '27 are smaller than the earlier T's?
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Ford updated the cowl and body on the 26 & 27 cars. Wire wheels were finally in the mix as well.

The early cars had the coil box down low but things started to change after WWI. They moved.the box to the engine compartment in 1926. The fuel tank was moved to the cowl too.

The model Ts were all pretty tall till 1926 but they still had room. The windshields in early Ts were near twice as tall as the model A but the firewalls were short. A lot of the Ts didn't even have driver side door.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:16 PM   #8
38 coupe

I am 6' 2" tall and about 200 lbs. I don't fit in Model As and I don't fit in 26-27 roadsters. I do fit in 25 and earlier open cars, and I fit in the 23-25 coupes pretty well.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 11:14 PM   #9
Geokop

Thanks, guys! It seems an earlier T Touring car would be the most comfortable, if any of them were really comfortable...
I never knew interior room suffered during the last couple of model years, (and continued into the Model A.)

Your comments / experiences are interesting and educational.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:21 AM   #10
mhsprecher

I am 6'2" and 200 lbs and drive my 28 roadster and 30 town sedan everywhere all the time. A little tight getting in and out but driving is fine.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:36 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The Human genome is affected by a multitude of factors. The average male height has changed significantly in the western world over just the last two or three generations. The US is a melting pot of peoples from all over the planet including earlier native humans that moved here at the end of the last ice age. My Pops family were primarily made up of Germanic peoples. Some were very tall,up to 6'6" and some were shorter down to 5'8" or so. Pop was 6'1" and my Mom was 5'2" so I ended up 5'10".

The food we eat and our relative health can have an affect on the Genome as well. Folks back in the beginning of the 20th century had an average height of 5'6" and it's now around 5'10". One problem with the modern era is that our average weight has also gone up.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-01-2024 at 06:00 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 02:30 AM   #12
Geokop

LOL...I'm 6'2", my wife is 5'2", and our son is 5'10".
This whole discussion is very helpful. Should I go the "T" Touring route, anything 1909 through '25 seems to be the way to go. I would never have known that the last couple of production years saw the T lose some leg and head room, and I don't want to be whacking my head on the top, either. I'm glad my Model A owner friend said something about how uncomfortable his pick-up truck is to drive.

All of your comments and insights are appreciated.